1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » News

Subject: OP6 scenario up! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of disappointed... it's OP1 without the minefields. Oh, and holding DS9 is worth 20 Fleet Points instead of 10. No bonus Battle Points, so if your series has someone who's up by 7 BP going in, all they have to do is show up.

Oh well.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot the link...
http://wizkidsgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/71263-Ins...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually... Very disappointing. They kept it secret so long I was hoping for something truly unique or interesting, and the extra battle points to make it more exciting. Looks like I'm all but guaranteed two DS9's now... I'm a little sad actually. I don't suppose there's any way we could get them to reconsider?

EDIT: Since I essentially run one of the tournaments I attend, I suppose the venue itself could alter the rules so control of DS9 would be worth the additional Battle Point if the players agree to it. I wouldn't be opposed at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have been interested in the scenario more if the wormhole was there to muck things up. With this set up, it could very easily go right in the middle lane, forcing the opposite of a joust by providing incentive for players to turn into the station and play with the objective.

As it is, at +20 Fleet Points for controlling DS9, it's not the worst objective to play for. However, in comparison to OP3's Battle Points awarded based on performance, it is a bit of a let down.

Glad to know what to start planning for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little disappointed as well, I guess it could have been a whole lot more. Ah well, guess I'll end up with at least one DS9 which has been the goal all along.

Given how the rules are and the bonus fleet points I actually expect some epic battles on DS9, and I already have ideas on what my fleet will be given the DS9 situation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does kinda suck - I was hoping for a lot of bonus battle points, to provide some incentive for players in the bottom ranking to stay in the game.

At the moment, of the ~10 regular players at one of our local game shops, only the top 5 (as of OP4) even have a *shot* at the prize.

And either of our #4 and #5 guys have to win *BOTH* OP5 *AND* OP6 to beat the score I'd have for just showing up both days. So realistically it's just the top 3 who have a shot.

With 2 more rounds to go, that's...kinda lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm pretty much out of the running for the big DS9 prize. I play at two venues, and I've missed one OP event at one and two at the other. I won OP3 at the venue where I've missed two events, but my performance at all the other events so far has been less than stellar. Two have been two losses and a win and one was two losses and a bye.

Oh well, at least now I have all six scenarios. I'm planning on combining them all into one PDF and printing it out as a booklet to keep with my set so I can run this campaign anytime I want (without the prize support, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really disappointing OP scenario.

It's basically OP1 without any of the more challenging aspects.

In effect I just see this as another opportunity for anyone who wants to blow up DS9.

It might have been a different story if they had allowed unopposed away teams to operate the station effectively by say forgoing attacks to repair shields, etc and being able to use their card text.

It just seems as though they had been taking the time to develop a fantastic finale and then couldn't think of anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
man what I would give to be able to help come up with scenarios and/or play test them for OP's. Where's my NDA that I can sign up with right away lol. I agree, I was hoping for more with this scenario. I'm going to have to step it up at all 3 of my remaining OP's at both sets with no extra points on the line in month 6.

My only consolation prize is that I found a Playmates DS9 model in my mom's basement that was either mine or my brother's from a long time ago. Now I just have to force myself to not think about the cards that are probably going to come with this DS9...

Something tells me this Nor station is going to blow up a TON. It's also interesting to see how things have changed since OP1. The Transwarp drive can potentially put one ship just inside range 2 of DS9 turn 1. It's tight, so if DS9 is positioned slightly different than my test layout you might be just outside of range. In a slightly more complicated maneuver you could use Janice Rand for a free action to activate In'Cha to get in range and also take control. Take it a step further at the beginning of turn 2: deploy cloaked mines. Put them around the station since it is no longer an enemy ship and you don't have to be range 2 away from it to drop mines.

At least that's what I'd attempt to do unless my opponent tries to go after the 0 agility station and possibly one shot it with a target locked BoF turn 1 since you can be range 3 from the station with a 4 maneuver for a single ship or to be certain use In'Cha with command token target lock perhaps (or transwarp drive, etc). With that much open space and a CL1 on DS9, all sorts of craziness can happen.

That's a huge difference with DS9 not in the corner and just along the side. You're a lot closer to the station.

Here's to hoping they quickly take down the scenario and at a minimum change the starting area to only 4" x 8" instead of 4" x 12". I might start putting in requests with my TO's to allow us to bring some of our own stuff from previous OP events to set out as obstacles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a thought.

What's the difference between an away team and crew?

The OP rules state that other than the Captain Skill Away teams may not use text abilities.

However if you used a sideboard and uploaded a crew upgrade from it onto the Space station would it be away team or crew, and if crew could it use it's ability.

If so I'd upload the Defiant Miles and start repairing shields 2 at a time.

They'll probably rule against it though.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:
Here's a thought.

What's the difference between an away team and crew?

The OP rules state that other than the Captain Skill Away teams may not use text abilities.

However if you used a sideboard and uploaded a crew upgrade from it onto the Space station would it be away team or crew, and if crew could it use it's ability.

If so I'd upload the Defiant Miles and start repairing shields 2 at a time.

They'll probably rule against it though.whistle

You cant do this as you are just in control of ds9 it is not one of your ships so you would have to side board the crew to a ship and then beam them down to the station as away team.

Also you cant use either captain or crew text while they're on ds9. To beam them down you have to essentially disable them and can only reenable them when you beam them back up.

Month 6 is rubbish when you consider there's no bonus points to try and win the station model, there's no event prize other than the model for the overall winner and the scenario is pretty dull.

Really as i already have no chance of winning the model and already have the ds9 token theres not a whole lot of point showing up! I will because i like playing the game but i can see a lot of people being put off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pretty sure there's a normal OP prize and that's the Bajoran ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
Pretty sure there's a normal OP prize and that's the Bajoran ship.

My bad there is, i had rage blindness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
msg tools
mbmb
And the federation fighters just for showing up, that's pretty awesome even if the scenario itself is a little plain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's all? Just OP1 again with a different setup? DS9 is worth +20 fleet points instead of +10? That's just....dull.

soblue

Now I've got to see where I'm at in the ranking of different venues. I think I have a shot at 2 of the places. I know I have a shot at one since every month there's been a different winner & I won OP2 there. The other is pretty close but will be harder to get. I'll probably have to win 2 out of the last 3 months to win that DS9.

So disappointed with this scenario though. I was hoping for so much more. Making DS9 worth an extra 2 BP would have been awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of happy for a straight forward scenario since before OP4 (where after OP4 I had mathematically eliminated everyone else from contention for DS9) told me that the Battle Points are used as qualifiers for the last tourney of the event and the winner of the last tourney takes home the Grand Prize regardless of prior record.

I was told that is the way they typically run their WizKids tourneys. So, it is nice that everyone will still be in contention during the last month, but that "revelation" really screwed me. And that's why I'm happy to have a straight forward scenario where outside influences can be mitigated and the best flying and playing should win which is where I think I have an advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrunkDwarves wrote:
So, it is nice that everyone will still be in contention during the last month, but that "revelation" really screwed me. And that's why I'm happy to have a straight forward scenario where outside influences can be mitigated and the best flying and playing should win which is where I think I have an advantage.

But not everyone will be in contention. It's the total Battle Points over the whole 6 months, not just from OP6. It's very easy to be eliminated/have locked up DS9 after OP4. It all depends on prior months. Which is why it would have been nice to get some more BP in OP6, to give those people further down the table a chance to win the Big Prize.

You only have to win 4 months out of 6 to guarantee DS9. Yes, that can be difficult, but it means some people have already won the tournament and just need to show up. The only thing everyone else at those stores has to play for is the participation prizes and the fun of it. There's no longer any incentive to play really well.

If they'd made DS9 worth 2-3 Battle Points each round (6-9 BP extra for the month), then that would give those people in 2nd, 3rd, or maybe 4th a chance to still win the entire tournament by winning OP6 with a lot of BP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
That's all? Just OP1 again with a different setup? DS9 is worth +20 fleet points instead of +10? That's just....dull.

soblue

Now I've got to see where I'm at in the ranking of different venues. I think I have a shot at 2 of the places. I know I have a shot at one since every month there's been a different winner & I won OP2 there. The other is pretty close but will be harder to get. I'll probably have to win 2 out of the last 3 months to win that DS9.

So disappointed with this scenario though. I was hoping for so much more. Making DS9 worth an extra 2 BP would have been awesome.

I am... very disappointed as well. If you're behind going into it, there's little to no chance you'll ever catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
DrunkDwarves wrote:
So, it is nice that everyone will still be in contention during the last month, but that "revelation" really screwed me. And that's why I'm happy to have a straight forward scenario where outside influences can be mitigated and the best flying and playing should win which is where I think I have an advantage.

But not everyone will be in contention. It's the total Battle Points over the whole 6 months, not just from OP6. It's very easy to be eliminated/have locked up DS9 after OP4. It all depends on prior months. Which is why it would have been nice to get some more BP in OP6, to give those people further down the table a chance to win the Big Prize.

You only have to win 4 months out of 6 to guarantee DS9. Yes, that can be difficult, but it means some people have already won the tournament and just need to show up. The only thing everyone else at those stores has to play for is the participation prizes and the fun of it. There's no longer any incentive to play really well.

If they'd made DS9 worth 2-3 Battle Points each round (6-9 BP extra for the month), then that would give those people in 2nd, 3rd, or maybe 4th a chance to still win the entire tournament by winning OP6 with a lot of BP.

Sorry, I might have not been clear enough. Basically the event I'm playing at is running different rules. So yeah, I should be a lock for DS9, but the location is ignoring Battle Points and strictly going by the winner of OP6 to be the winner of the Grand Prize. So basically I got screwed, but everyone else was helped by their house tourney rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...how...anti-climatic. Surprisingly disappointing. I was expecting so much more. It seems like an incredibly toned down and bland version of OP1 without the self-replicating mines and wormhole. Weird. I was expecting so much more not so much less.

No real incentive to take the station. Most people will simply ignore it and destroy each other I'm guessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
msg tools
mbmb
At first I thought this was a bad op, however the more I think about it the more I don't mind.
1) There are several new players that have not played op1, so now they can get their ds9 token and have a match using it.
2) Basically every fleet is a good one (unlike op2 where cloaked fleets were all but required, etc)
3) The most straightforward match. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it will be more of a normal match up for any potential tie breakers.
4) It doesn't invalidate the work players have done until now by making the ds9 worth soo much just one bad game / good game would change your standings by a huge amount. I tend to think that more randomness in the last second is not fun.
5) they are giving out ships for showing up, and ships for the normal op prizes in addition to the grand prize this time.
6) you basically had to play a ds9 scenario since this is all about getting the ds9 model.

That said, I think there are ways to make it more interesting, such as adding other ships in the game or trying to attack/defend ds9 perhaps like op4?
overall though, its not too bad and leads to a lower key, less stress match up which I think can lead to more fun overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:

As as TO, I think I'm going to put this into effect as a house rule. I was thinking the exact same thing this morning and came to post on it... and you already had I was thinking 2 extra BP for controlling DS9 was appropriate. Fortunately, there's really no runaway folks at the place I run the tourney at. But I think if there's the extra BPs then almost EVERYONE will have a shot at it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised to see all the hate for this scenario... it seems very interesting to me!

If you have two jousting fleets they can go at it. Otherwise DS9 is going to be a factor and a decisive one.

If one side fights for control of it, then you'll have some choices to make. If you fight for it you need a build that can do it, and your opponents knows where you will be. If you try to destroy it, then again your opponent knows where you want to be, and it's a turn you won't be shooting at their fleet.

OP1 was one of my favorite scenarios and I think this one's going to take a lot of planning and result in some pretty exciting battles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyd76 wrote:
davedujour wrote:

As as TO, I think I'm going to put this into effect as a house rule. I was thinking the exact same thing this morning and came to post on it... and you already had I was thinking 2 extra BP for controlling DS9 was appropriate. Fortunately, there's really no runaway folks at the place I run the tourney at. But I think if there's the extra BPs then almost EVERYONE will have a shot at it!

If you do this, you should consider making the rule so that the player gets the DS9 control points even if DS9 was destroyed while it was under his control. Otherwise opponents have a lot of room to do some kingmaking by deciding whether or not to take a turn of shooting to destroy DS9 and potentially deny their opponent decisive BPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem with some of these ideas is that it swings TOO much out of favor of the people who have been attending and we don't want it to be unfair in that way either.

At the start of the tournamnt, everyone should have 1 BP for each event atteneded and 1 BP for each they won. With this, even if they missed 1 or 2 the field wouldn't be too horrribly lopsided with an average BP range of 4-10, but the winners would still have a significant (but not overwhelming) advantage.

Then we should use the usual scoring with DS9 worth 1 BP, and the Tournament "winner" getting an additional +1. With this, if the undisputed leader (8-10 points) loses every match (+4), an attendee (4-6 points) would have a shot at winning if they won the tournament and captured DS9 every time (+11). It kind of equivocates into "every tournamnet you won is one less game you have to capture DS9".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
docvulcan wrote:
At first I thought this was a bad op, however the more I think about it the more I don't mind.

Quote:

2) Basically every fleet is a good one (unlike op2 where cloaked fleets were all but required, etc)

Well I disagree about OP2, but I think you'll see fleet optimized for taking DS9 and fleets optimized for destroying it, and fleets that are trying to exploit the weakness of either of those strategies.

Quote:

3) The most straightforward match. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it will be more of a normal match up for any potential tie breakers.

I think you'll be surprised. To me this match seems like there's many potential strategies and types of match ups. Not straightforward at all!

Quote:

4) It doesn't invalidate the work players have done until now by making the ds9 worth soo much just one bad game / good game would change your standings by a huge amount. I tend to think that more randomness in the last second is not fun.

Totally agree!

Quote:

5) they are giving out ships for showing up, and ships for the normal op prizes in addition to the grand prize this time.

Which we should point out is awesomely generous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.