Hide
7 Posts

Quarriors!» Forums » General

Subject: Balance Issues? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Schmidt
msg tools
So I just picked up the base game, and out of the box, it seems like the game isn't very balanced. It seems like most of our games always go to the first person lucky enough to buy the roll a big creature. Usually, a Mighty Questing Wizard or whatever the fatty of choice is comes down and demolishes every other creature on the board and sits there for the rest of the (short) game. While everyone scrambles to buy and roll their own big monsters, the fatty just sits there and gets 4 glory every turn, which ends the game relatively fast.
Is there some kind of obvious strategy we are missing to dealing with these big guys (it seems all we can do is roll, roll, roll trying to get our own fatty because casting anything less just gets auto-killed on the fatty's turn)? Will any of the expansions add enough creatures to help balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
While there are certainly some problems with the game, it sounds like you've missed a really key rule.

Under the basic rules, you must discard a creature when you score it (this occurs at the start of your turn, if the creature is already in your active area).

If you play by the "advanced" (now recommended) rules, you must cull the creature in order for it to score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schmidt
msg tools
Yep... That explains it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
While there are certainly some problems with the game, it sounds like you've missed a really key rule.

Under the basic rules, you must discard a creature when you score it (this occurs at the start of your turn, if the creature is already in your active area).

If you play by the "advanced" (now recommended) rules, you must cull the creature in order for it to score.

If you choose not to score it, does it stay in your ready area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
moosemcd wrote:
If you choose not to score it, does it stay in your ready area?

No. It goes to the used pile.

The updated Quarmageddon rules may help: Rulebook for Quarriors! Quarmageddon (see the "Epic" rules near the end)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Hoffmann
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
That said, even if played correctly, I found that often someone races off to win the game leaving opponents in the dust, who sometimes even end the game with zero points. This isn't a problem in a two player game, and only somewhat of a problem in a three player game. It's definitely a problem in a four player game.

Quarriors definitely has a balancing problem, and I've been trying to figure out a solution.

The advanced culling rule is one thing that can be tried, but it's not fun IMHO. My family and I like amassing our creatures and don't want to throw that work away to score glory.

One thing I tried for four player games is the following. When your creatures attack, and more than one opponent has creatures in their ready area, then you only get to attack one opponent's creatures, chosen randomly. This actually made a big difference, and made the games much closer.

I just bought the latest expansion (the one with quests) and haven't used this house rule with that expansion because the quests help people to score glory without having their creatures attacked as much. But as we get used to the expansion, and more people challenge quests, we might have to re-introduce it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
henningh wrote:

The advanced culling rule is one thing that can be tried, but it's not fun IMHO. My family and I like amassing our creatures and don't want to throw that work away to score glory.

I actually find that in general, players do MORE amassing of creatures with the advanced culling rules than the basic rules. The simple fact is, the core rules necessitated thinning your deck out as fast as possible. Thus, the best decks were 6 dice that you could continuously draw and redraw every turn. With the advanced rules, basic quiddity are harder to get rid of and thus your deck will always be a bit bigger. This makes buying a lot of smaller creatures worthwhile, and I even see players buy assistants which rarely happens in the base game. Big creatures tend to be rarely purchased more than once per deck, and usually players do not cull them until they are close to winning, instead using them to control the flow of their opponents scoring. Therefore, decks in general tend to have a lot more creatures in them by the end of games using advanced rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.