United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Say you move and pin an enemy unit. You have "mobile", so you decide to ranged attack it. You roll a scatter, and the nearest enemy unit is a half inch away from your target (that you are pinning). Do you have to roll the scatter die against your own troop, since you are "closer" to your target (as you are pinning it)? Thanks.

Edit: Then, if that scatter roll (on your own guy) hits and does enough damage to break your toughness (with no stamina) would your troop be eliminated before the non scatter results are applied to your initial target?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
In your example, the scatter would be resolved against your own troop. But, even if it is destroyed, you still inflict the damage caused by the dice hat hit against the original target although I am not sure this is exactly what you asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I realize my post was worded strangly, I tried to make it as clear as possible.

We did it partially right then, except we eliminated the unit before the other rolled results were applied. We did so because the rules clarify that scatter results should be applied BEFORE other results. I would think that would only matter in the situation that happened to us. Otherwise, why would the order of the dice resolution matter?

Thank you for your response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not 100% sure what it means exactly to have the scatter result be resolved before applying the damage. In general, it wouldn't matter unless see are the last units on the battlefield.

In my opinion, you resolve if the scatter results hit or not and once you know which scatter results hit, all the damage is applied at the same time. I am convinced because the damage/wound/stamina relationship is based on timing and this is damage dealt by one given source at a given time therefore, it would be in line with the rest of the system to have this damage applied at the same time. Hits and critical hits are applied at the same time as outlined onage 20. The scatter is not as spelled out as far as I could find. Although I am convinced, it might be worthy of a formal inquiry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rule as written I'd say you're right MGS. 'You resolve the scatter first' as in workout who it hits and roll again to see what happens. Then all damage is applied to units etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Cornara
Italy
Varese
flag msg tools
https://snipertroll.wordpress.com - https://shiftingmists.wordpress.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I am not 100% sure what it means exactly to have the scatter result be resolved before applying the damage. In general, it wouldn't matter unless see are the last units on the battlefield.

In my opinion, you resolve if the scatter results hit or not and once you know which scatter results hit, all the damage is applied at the same time. I am convinced because the damage/wound/stamina relationship is based on timing and this is damage dealt by one given source at a given time therefore, it would be in line with the rest of the system to have this damage applied at the same time. Hits and critical hits are applied at the same time as outlined onage 20. The scatter is not as spelled out as far as I could find. Although I am convinced, it might be worthy of a formal inquiry.

I agree with you, the "resolve scatter before hits/crits" rule allows damage to be assigned at the same time against all the targets hit. Aside from a ranged unit hitting itself I don' t see any other situation arising in the core set in which this rule would need to be strictly applied. Who knows whether in a future expansion some unit would have any special rule interacting with damage being dealt/suffered, thus needing exact timing rules more relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said, we played where the scatter damage against her own troop, killed said troop before any other damage was applied to my originally targeted troop. It was funny trying to thematically explain it to my gf.

"You see, your troop shot its first arrow straight up into the sky. Before it could notch another one, it looked up and took the falling arrow directly into its eye. It's dead now and can't finish shooting arrows."

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soiledshortz wrote:
Like I said, we played where the scatter damage against her own troop, killed said troop before any other damage was applied to my originally targeted troop. It was funny trying to thematically explain it to my gf.

"You see, your troop shot its first arrow straight up into the sky. Before it could notch another one, it looked up and took the falling arrow directly into its eye. It's dead now and can't finish shooting arrows."

laugh

It is funny. But, it still causes damage to the original intended target (unless all the other dice were misses).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Another scatter question: Say a target gets attacked at long range. It's within line of sight. The attacker rolls a scatter. The nearest enemy to the original target is within short range of the original target, but well beyond the attacker's maximum range of long. Does this matter? Can the attackers arrows fly this far?

Also, does line of sight matter on scatter attacks? What if the attacker doesn't have line of sight to the scatter target? What if the original target doesn't have line of sight to the scatter target?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know none of these matter. You check range, line of site, etc... To the original target. The scatter is independent of all of these parameters, the only requirement is that the disk be within short range from the original target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Thanks again!

I wonder if it's just my gf and I that are having so many questions. Either way, I eagerly await a FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no question that an FAQ will come and that situations will arise where an official ruling will be needed. But, I think it is great if we can help each other in the mean time since we can get very quick responses here so we can move on and keep playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
There is no question that an FAQ will come and that situations will arise where an official ruling will be needed. But, I think it is great if we can help each other in the mean time since we can get very quick responses here so we can move on and keep playing.

I completely agree. So thank you for that help. Have a GREAT new year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.