Firefly: The Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Advice for new captains rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Steelman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wanted to start this thread because it seems that quite a few people are struggling with this game. I just got it but have played it a few times now and spent some time browsing the decks. I'm going to offer some very basic tips to help you get started.

1. All captains are not created equal. If you are just getting started, choose a captain that is either a pilot or a mechanic. The other ones are not bad but you will not regret following this advice. If you can't get a pilot or a mechanic because your friends picked them all, get the Companion.

2. If you have a pilot captain start at Regina or Persephone and get a mechanic. If you chose a mechanic captain start at the Space Bazzar and get a pilot.

The reason for this advice is that if the reavers end up at your location, it is really really bad unless you have a pilot, a mechanic, and at least 1 fuel. These key words simply help move you around the board without a lot of heartache.

3. When choosing a job/quest start with a few legal ones and use them to beef yourself up. Harken has the easiest quests but they pay terrible. Then get a job that requires 1 misbehave card. If that goes ok you might try a difficulty 2 job. The number of misbehave cards is basically the difficulty of the job. Remember that the nature of the game is a race. It's not a heavy interaction game it's the first player to meet a series of goals. IMO stick to difficulty 2 jobs unless you are desperate to pull ahead. The higher difficulties tend to just get your crew killed. For that reason, just ignore Niska. He pays really well but all of his quests are really hard and if you fail one he makes you kill an extra crew member. As a new player, it's not worth the aggrivation.

4. Collect key words. When you shop, you will see highlighted key words on cards. Also you will see characters with key words like Grifter and Companion. Collect as many different key words as you can. They show up on cards later and help you.

5. Finally, there is a scenario that is available free on the www.fireflythegame.com website. It is called "First time in the captain's chair". I strongly recommend starting with this scenario. It's short. It's designed to be kind of easy. I will be using it any time I teach the game.

As you get experience, you will find exceptions to these general rules but this will get you started without the aggrivation that others have experienced.

Edited to correct location of mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Brophy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wish I had seen this last night before we took on our first game. Took us a while to get to grips with the game and due to work commitments had to leave it just before completion.

I feel like we missed out some vital parts of the game, Medics wasn't used at all and not many ship upgrades were purchased.

I am sure with a different story that might be different next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice for new players. We can also all learn from this about carefully titling your threads! Its not useful of others can't find it...

There is a lot more available on the board here if you look around, and don't miss the Files section below.

Speed Bump #1 (New Players): Getting destroyed by tougher aspects of the game.

Speed Bump #2 (Experienced Players): The game is too easy! Believe it or not. But expansions are just around the corner, and these are very active boards

Check also the separate boards for the Promos and Expansions--see you there! Keep Flying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Hamid
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm not a player, I just crush alot.
badge
Can you feel the Heat?
mbmbmbmbmb
msteelman wrote:

5. Finally, there is a scenario that is available free on the www.fireflythegame.com website. It is called "First time in the captain's chair". I strongly recommend starting with this scenario. It's short. It's designed to be kind of easy. I will be using it any time I teach the game.

I think this could easily be the most important piece of advice for new players. I was able to navigate the King of All Londinium my first time around but it is certainly a marathon, and I 'll be using the online Story Card with first timers in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One correction to the initial post: there are no mechanics on Osiris. Currently, there are 5 Mechanics on Persephone and 2 on Regina.

I would say that the default "starting planets" are really Persephone and the Space Bazaar. Both have a wide range of crew (better on Persephone than the Space Bazaar, unless you're looking for a Pilot) as well as a ton of basic gear.

One important thing to understand early on is that the game favors Crime jobs. Assuming your Crew can handle the Misbehave cards, the time-to-money ratio is ridiculous compared to the various Smuggling, Shipping, and Transport jobs. They are plentiful (especially with Niska and Badger), and you can get bonus loot from various transports.

My personal recommendation is to build up a well-balanced Crew as quickly as possible and get to doing Crime. If you can get at least a +4 (preferably closer to a +6) with every skill, as well as a Transport, maybe a Fake ID and/or Hacking Rig, you're probably ready to risk 2-Misbehave jobs. Use those to get coin for a few more pieces of gear, then take on the big scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor H
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exellent thread!
Every new captain needs to know this.
I knew this before starting, but thats says more about me than anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.