Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Miragliuolo
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been meaning to pick up a Carcassonne, and when watching a video review of this, I thought it might be possible to play this as Carcassonne instead of C-South Seas. Is this so? Would you need to change anything, or just know the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the question. If you just want to play Carcassonne, why not just buy Carcassonne?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Miragliuolo
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, what I was thinking is that if this could be easily played as Carcassonne, then it might be a good idea to get this instead of Carcassonne, since then you can play it as either game. It's just me attempting to be thrifty, I suppose.

I've never played any Carcassonne, so I'm not certain if it'd work like this. Hence my question. Watching video reviews, I kind of think I might prefer this over Carcassone, but I'm a bit apprehensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could, although you'd need extra meeples, a score track, and I'm not sure the tile distribution is the same so it wouldn't really be the same experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Miragliuolo
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool. Thanks. I wasn't sure what the differences in materials were. I guess I'll have to figure out better which version I really want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Gagnon
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and they play differently enough. Yes it's still a tile laying game but in South Seas there's commodities that you get (instead of points; which up to this point is the same as original carc) to spend to get points. This is the main difference. And there's no "farmer" which means there's less of a long game with huge point gains once the game is over. Some say this makes South Seas less mathy/complex.

If you wanted only 1 of the carc (I don't know why anyone would only want one ), then I suggest you go with South Seas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have to get some extra meeples indeed. The scoretrack is overrated. Everything else should give you about the same feel as vanilla carcassonne. The tile distribution might differ, but shouldn't make it feel completely different. A vanilla carc however, can easily be found on eBay for about €5 or €6. I know, 'cause I've bought several of those. Even shrink wrapped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could if you wanted but it would make the fish, shells and bananas tokens redundant as well as the boat tokens to cover the fish and the ship tokens that determine scoring. The reduced followers is a problem as you only have four and not seven plus you would need a scoreboard plus something to act as the scoring meeple (or just jot the scores down on some paper).

The islands could score two point per tile like cities do and you could have the banana icons acting as pennants.

The walkways could score one point per tile like roads do. You could ignore the shell icons or have them act as pennants too, doubling the tile's score.

The trading posts could score nine-points like cloisters do.

The fishermen could remain there till the end of the game like farmers do and score as farmers; three points for each island. Or if you wanted to include the fish icons you could have each island score an amount of points equal to the fish or just ignore the adjacent islands and score by just by the amount of fish.

Alternatively, the banana, shell and fish tokens could be used like the Traders expansions. Whoever adds the tile that completes an island or walkway gets the number of bananas or clams featured respectively. Or if adding a tile that encloses a body of water gets that number of fish featured. Then whoever has the most of each type at the end of the game gets a bonus 10 points.

I would probably keep the follower retrieval rule if you are only playing with four followers even though this isn't part of the base Carcassonne rules.

I love South Seas but if you don't like the rules but like the tile graphics and just want a change from a French landscape I don't see the problem jiggling about with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Miragliuolo
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks again to everyone. That sounds about what I was thinking. I was leaning towards South Seas anyways, so all this info makes me feel pretty thriftily good about getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amund Christensen
Canada
Brockville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have at least been thinking of trying the fisherman retrieval rule in regular Carc. I think picking up the farmers and scoring them as soon as a field is closed might change the dynamic a bunch and make for a nice way to change some games up.

By the way REALLY like South Seas. Between this and Winter I've neglected " normal" Carc for a couple of months blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.