CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb

Image Courtesy of W Eric Martin
This review continues my series of detailed reviews that attempt to be part review, part resource for anyone not totally familiar with the game. For this reason I expect readers to skip to the sections that are of most interest.

Summary

Game Type - Family Game
Play Time: 30-40 minutes
Number of Players: 2-6 (Best 3+)
Mechanics - Push Your Luck, Action Point Allowance System, Dice Rolling
Difficulty - Pick-up & Play (Can be learned in under 30 minutes)
Components - Excellent
Release - 2011

Designers -

Guillaume Blossier (Asteroyds, Rush n' Crush, The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac)

Frederic Henry (Asteroyds, Rush n' Crush, The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac, The Timeline Series)

Overview and Theme

This morning I woke up to see the wardrobe door slightly ajar. Fallen from a pile of neglected garments in the corner, a brow-beaten Fedora lay upside down. As I pondered this event I saw in the corner of my eye the butt of my snakeskin leather whip peeking out from under the bed. Within moments I knew that the fates were calling…it was time to go Adventuring once again…

I reviewed The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac some 3 years ago back in 2010. That game was a seat of your pants, push your luck romp through a musty temple choc full of traps to punish the would-be treasure hunter. If you'd like to know more...

The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac - A Detailed Review

Having survived that adventure I am now embarking on my next expedition, this time we go to the Pyramid of Horus. Located in Egypt, the tomb of Horus still protects its many treasures and once again there is a race afoot to plunder its secrets and retrieve as many valuable relics as possible.

I could use a pack-mule, come companion. Why don’t you join me for this adventure as we delve into the bowels of the Pyramid of Horus?

mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb

The Components

The Temple of Chac was a pretty eye-catching affair and The Pyramid of Horus is no exception.

d10-1 The Board – The board features two distinct areas; the entrance to the Pyramid (called the Cobra Nest) and the inner sanctum itself.

The entrance is little more than rubble whilst the Pyramid proper offers several sections. Central is the Crocodile Pond and it is surrounded by the Scorpion Pit. Surrounding the Pit is the Mummies' Corridor and this is flanked by various sarcophagi and alcoves to house the God Idols.

All of the aforementioned areas are searchable by the heroes. The board is nice and vibrant and the artwork creates a lighting effect as if the tomb is being illuminated by candles amongst the alcoves.

Various spots are also set aside to house the various card decks and the other feature of note is that the central parts of the board are segmented into squares and numbered from 1-36. This serves to support the Falling Block mechanic but more on that later.

Image Courtesy of Alice87

d10-2 The Hero/Mummy Figures – The game comes with 8 playable characters and 3 Mummies are also included. These come in basic grey plastic and for a game of this weight they are pretty good in relation to detail and poses.

As was the case with the first incarnation of the series, The Pyramid of Horus also offered up a pre-painted miniatures expansion and I was lucky enough to get my hands on one. These may not impress the painting gurus out in game-land but for someone like me with no talent these are a really great way to enhance the play.

It should be noted that the game comes with coloured round discs that are clipped onto the bases of the figures. These help to identify who is who when using the generic grey figures, but they are really not necessary when using the pre-painted figures.

d10-3 Character Cards – Each Character also comes with a matching card to show off some neat artwork. These cards also serve as a covering card to be used in conjunction with a Game Aid Card to depict key stats, which I'll cover in due course.

d10-4 Treasure Cards – The game has three main decks that relate to the 3 basic searchable areas in the game. Within these areas a variety of treasures can be found, which is the main aim of the game. The image below shows some of these treasures and each of the card backs.

I should also mention that Items can be found amongst the Cobra Nest deck. I'll cover those later.

d10-5 The Pitfalls – When things don't go so well a hero may suffer a bite of various kinds, be hit by stone boulders or be cursed by a Mummy. There are cards for each of these situations too.

d10-6 Sarcophagus Cards – Lining each of the 3 corridors stand a series of Sarcophagi. These hold relics of varying value but they must first be searched before the goodies can be taken. Card front and backs shown in image below.

d10-7 God Idols – The most coveted treasures of all though are the 5 Idols of the Gods that feature in the Pyramid. Each of these has their own card and a sequence of numbers at the bottom, which form a code of sorts that must be cracked by a hero before the idol will come free from its plinth.

d10-8 Stone Blocks – The game comes with a total of 36 largish plastic square blocks to represent the Stone Blocks that fall from the ceiling of the Pyramid as the Gods unleash their anger.

The game comes with stickers numbered 1-36 and one of these must be placed inside each of the stone blocks to number them for later placement on the board.

d10-9 Odds & Ends - A total of 5 dice are also provided and these are coloured rather than simply being black as in the Temple of Chac. They are coloured so that each can be linked to one of the God Idols.

The game also comes with a Start Player Card, which thematically is an Ankh.

d10-1d10-0 Rules - The rules are a nice colourful, glossy affair with plenty of pictures and examples. The book is littered with thematic elements and back-stories to the characters and the pyramid itself. The back cover offers a series of small windows to summarise key aspects of the game and one of the last pages offers a run-down of each power and special item to be found within the game.

Rulebooks often get overlooked but this one is worth mentioning as it is enjoyable to read and explore. When you pay out for a game it is nice to know that the production had some care and thought go into it and this is the case with Horus.

Image Courtesy of zombiegod

d10-1d10-1 Storage – I don't often mention storage but I have to here as Horus loses a few points. It's mainly due to those 36 stone blocks but it is amplified by using a box insert that is totally pointless for a game with these components. It does all fit but it is something of a puzzle to hide some of the block pieces under the two hollow insert sections in order to fit the rest into the central well.

It's not a deal breaker but it could have been avoided.

All in all though The Pyramid of Horus gets a thumbs up for production values. I really respect French designers and companies for the quality they put into the components of their games as this seems to be a consistent standard.

Image Courtesy of BudFox

Set-up

The set-up is relatively easy, comprising mostly of shuffling the various decks and placing them in their allotted positions. The Idol Cards get placed at their specific locations and the 3 Mummies are placed in set spots in each of the hallways as outlined in the rules.

All that remains is for the players to select a character or choose one at random and take a Game Aid Card as well. Each player places their Character Card over the Game Aid Card so only the top row of the Wound/Load Limit card is showing.

A start player is determined and given the Start Player Card and the game is all but ready to begin.

All that remains is to randomise the Stone Blocks in some way so they are ready to be drawn with each turn. I've seen some people place them at random into the lid of the box but personally I just like to get a plastic bag and draw them out of there.

Each player places their hero in front of one of the entrance squares and the game is ready to begin.

The Play

This review will look to outline the Pyramid of Horus on its own merits. Later in the review I will also compare the two games in ‘The Adventurers series’ to each other and weight up the relative merits of each.

The game uses a turn based system, which goes something like this :-

d10-1 Set Wound/Load Limits – The start of every round requires the players to reset their Game Aid Card to show their current Wound/Load Limit (WLL). Thematically this statistic represents a hero’s ability to act based on the weight they are carrying and the set-backs they have suffered (bites, injuries, curses etc).

A hero’s WLL is set according to a range of values, which are as follows :-

1-3 = 2
4-6 = 3
7-9 = 4
10-12+ = 5

A player is able to reflect their current WLL by counting up all the cards they have that represent treasures and wounds and then slide their Character Card up to cover all levels, leaving the WLL they are on exposed.

Of course for the first round of the game this will already be set at 2 from the Set-up.

If a player is not happy with their current WLL they can select to dump treasure cards in order to adjust (lower) their WLL rating. This may be desirable if they are carrying some low value treasures for example and in doing so it helps them to earn an extra action or two or make room for a higher valued treasure.

d10-2 Determining Actions – To start a round the active player must take the 5 dice and roll them. These values are then assessed by each player to determine how many actions their hero will have for the current round.

How many actions a hero is entitled to is based on their current WLL. Every dice that has a value equal to or greater than a hero’s WLL will grant them an action. Using the two images on the right, it can be seen that based on the roll of 1, 2, 3, 3, 6 will grant Rasputin 3 actions based on a WLL factor of 3. As such the Character Card is slid up to show how many actions are available this turn.

Of course as the game progresses the players will have varied WLL stats and this combined with the luck of the dice will result in the players earning a variety of action points.

d10-3 Player Actions - Starting with the start player for the round, each player in turn has the chance to use their actions to go about their looting. There are only two possible actions that can be taken in the Pyramid of Horus –

Move – Each move that a hero wishes to make costs an action. Movement is only possible in orthogonal directions (forward, backward, left and right) but it is crucial in order to access the deeper parts of the Pyramid.

Search – The other main action is to search the Pyramid in the hope of finding treasures and useful items. In most cases a hero can opt to search the square where they are currently standing. Certain locations allow a hero to search a sarcophagus or to try and take an idol representing one of the Egyptian Gods (a hero must be standing in the square in front of these features to do so, which exposes them to the Mummies in the process). Accessing the God Idols is a little more involved and requires a certain sequence to be rolled to prize them away from their alcove. More on these later.

However much of the searching is simply done by drawing a card from the relevant deck. The players are free to search the Cobra Nest (entrance), the Scorpion Pit or the Crocodile Pond. By drawing a card from the relevant deck a player will discover if they have found a treasure, an item or an unwanted nasty that will result in a bite. Whatever card is drawn must be shown to the other players, before placing them face down.

In this way the players can gain some insight into who poses a threat (if they can remember) and this can help people to determine how far they should push their luck as the game evolves.

All cards, whether good or bad add +1 to the load carried by a hero and help determine the WLL rating for the next turn.

d10-4 Mummy Movement – The Pyramid is not without protection however and after the last player has taken their actions, the start player for the round must roll the 5 dice again to determine if and how far the Mummies will move. For every result of 4+ the Mummies will move 1 square along their stretch of corridor. If a Mummy reaches the end of a corridor they are simply turned around and continue back along the path they are on. They never turn corners, each simply patrols their length of hallway.

If this movement results in a Mummy entering the square of a hero, the hero will be cursed by the ancient sentry and must take a Curse Card. This is added to the other cards of the hero and adds +1 to their Wound/Load Limit, without offering any benefit. In the corner locations it is possible for two Mummies to enter the square of a hero, in which case 2 Curse Cards would be drawn.

In this way the 3 Mummies protect the more valuable treasures (the Sarcophagi and Idols) that are located along the 3 corridors located deep in the Pyramid.

Should a hero enter a square containing a Mummy using one of their actions, a Curse Card is also acquired.

d10-5 The Sky is Falling – The final action of the round is for the start player to draw a stone block at random. This is done to reflect the anger of the Gods, Horus in particular, due to the fact that his Pyramid is being looted by filthy treasure hunters! angry

Once drawn the active player reveals the inside of the block to reveal its number before placing it on the matching numbered square on the board. Should any hero(s) be standing at that location they will be struck by the rubble and must take a Rubble Card, which also adds to a hero’s WLL. They must then move to an adjacent orthogonal square. If they cannot do so because there are no valid spaces free, they are crushed and it is game over for them! sauron

d10-6 A New Round – Once a boulder is placed a new round will begin. The Start Player Card is given to the next player in clockwise order, all players re-set their WLL Values by sliding their Character Card down and the new start player rolls the dice to determine actions.

d10-7 Ending the Game – The game can end in one of two ways. If the placement of a stone block ever blocks the final opening to the exit, all heroes that remain in the Pyramid are trapped and doomed to be found as dusty skeletons in the distant future.

The game can also end if the last hero remaining in the Pyramid manages to exit using actions as movement points.

d10-8 Determining the Winner – Only heroes that make it out of the Pyramid have a chance of winning the game. These players simply add up the value of their treasures and declare their total. Any chests that were retrieved require the roll of a dice to determine how valuable they were.

Variety Bonus - The players can also earn bonus points based on how many different relics they retrieved. In all there are 5 gods featured in the Pyramid (Horus, Thoth, Anubis, Sobek and Hededet). Each of these gods are represented by an icon that adorn the Treasure/Idol Cards in various parts of the Pyramid. The players earn the following bonus points based on how many different god relics they managed to retrieve -

1 = +1
2 = +3
3 = +6
4 = +10
5 = +15

This Variety Bonus is a nice element because to score well a player will need to move to many parts of the Pyramid. This will require many action points in movement alone and therefore increases their risk of not getting out in time. With great risk comes great reward...

By adding a player's total treasure value and their variety bonus together they can determine their final score. The player who has collected the greatest total value is declared the winner and gets to wear that smug Harrison Ford smile for the remainder of the evening.

Should there be a tie, the player that holds the most Idols is declared the winner. If this too is a tie then the players share the win together.

What Horus has to Offer – The Fun Factor

Image Courtesy of Toynan

There may not appear to be much to the play of The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus, but it is a fun, engaging experience for a number of reasons…

d10-1 Tension – Horus does a fantastic job of creating tension with its play. It does this on a number of levels but the player interaction element is that you do feel like you are in a race to reach the various treasures and loot them before someone else does.

The searching mechanic is also excellent as the players are always hopeful of finding treasure or an item but never sure if a snake, scorpion or crocodile lie in wait. Those Mummies can often be in the wrong place at the wrong time too.

d10-2 Climax – The tension of the game is also present from the start right through to the finish. The stone block mechanic is great at ramping up the tension and as that passage to escape gets smaller and smaller the players can get quite frantic as they weigh up the need to keep searching versus the need to bolt for that thin sliver of sunlight…

d10-3 ’Push Your Luck’ that Works – As a mechanic ‘push your luck’ is not a new concept but some games do it better than others. In Horus, this element is present in a couple of different ways.

Initially it exists in the central decision of ‘How much loot can I afford to hold?’ This thought can quickly lead to, ‘If I take this treasure I up my WLL. Based on the odds (of rolling 4+ or 5+), will I be able to get enough actions to get out of here alive before the roof caves in on me?!’

It not only works but the game manages to integrate the theme and mechanics in the most satisfying of ways.

d10-4 The Poison Apple – The game does a great job of enticing the players to get into dangerous positions by locating the most valuable treasures in the deepest recesses of the Pyramid. The further a hero explores the further they are from getting back to safety.

The game also entices the players to take greater risks in the form of the God Idols. In all there are 5 idols and each requires a sequence to be rolled (straights of varying length). These idols are worth more than most regular treasures but they can be a poisoned chalice on two fronts.

First the sequence must be rolled and if it is not achieved in a single roll then additional actions must be spent to roll the remaining dice to complete the sequence. Fulfilling the sequence is not guaranteed and therefore a player may waste one or more turns chasing the ‘holy grail’.

But actually acquiring an Idol can be a curse in its own right as each idol features one of the coloured dice on the reverse side of the Idol Card. The dice shown is crossed out and means that the hero can no longer gain actions from that dice on any future rolls. Combine this with needing to get certain values on the action activation roll, which could be 4+ or higher towards the end of the game and a player holding an idol can find themselves needing a lot of luck to acquire actions in the future. Try collecting two idols and a player is really leaving their fate in the lap of the Gods…unless of course they target idols and nothing else (another viable strategy).

d10-5 Knowledge is Power…or a Lure to the Dark – The Adventurers could have one potential flaw and that is this – If players were allowed to collect Treasure Cards secretly then no one would know their relative position. This could then lead to players taking fewer risks and opting to escape too early. This would totally kill the tension of the game and essentially reduce the game to a totally luck-based exercise in which players could do no more than predict their chances of success.

Thankfully the design team was completely aware of this and the players must show the latest card they have acquired before adding it to their collection face-down. As the players see the various values that are unearthed, they can better judge if they have to stay longer in order to have a chance of winning or if they stand a chance of victory by doing the 'cut and run'.

There is an optional rule whereby the players can elect to not reveal the cards they acquire but for the reasons outlines above I recommend against it.

d10-6 Children Perfect – Having played both versions of The Adventurers with my boys I can safely say that whilst Chac is good fun, Horus beats it hands down when playing with children. This is because the reduction in the various mechanics makes for less moving parts (rules) for little minds to keep track of. The Puzzle in Chac can be challenging for some kids and they can have trouble weighing up the merits of each section in Chac. In Horus the equation is pretty straight forward and the risk vs reward of the game is more kid-friendly. The tension also works so much better for kids in Horus and they revel in the randomness of the stone blocks being able to hurt anyone.

When I make this point I guess I'm referring to children under 12 or non-gamer kids. This point may also help identify if Chac may be more your style. But in truth they are both good if you like this sort of thing.

Chac Vs Horus – Weighing up the Two Adventurers Games

Image Courtesy of Toynan

d10-1 Variety vs Simplicity - At their core both versions of The Adventurers offer the same mechanics at their heart. These games are driven by the ‘Push Your Luck Mechanic’ and feature thematic elements that create tension and climax. Both make use of the ‘action point allowance’ system, which is in turn linked to the concept of Willpower/Wounds and a Load Limit.

Horus – The Pyramid of Horus on the other hand is a much simpler affair. It really only features two thematic elements not seen in Chac, the moving Mummy Sentries and the Collapsing Roof. The numerous sections that are searchable are simply an extension of the same function in the Closing Walls area of Chac with potential bites possible and the Sarcophagus/Idol mechanic was used in Chac too but is more prevalent here.

All in all The Temple of Chac offers a far more diverse experience...

So 1-up for Chac.

d10-2 Elements that Work – But despite Chac having more moving parts, not all of those parts work to perfection and hold equal weight. The heroes don’t tend to stay too long in the ‘Closing Walls’ section of Chac as the Rolling Boulder is so threatening. But the Rolling Boulder only really poses a serious threat in perhaps a third of all games for all players. The ‘Damaged Bridge’ is bypassed more often than not in favour of the ‘River’ as it can be highly lucrative and the highest valued Idol in Chac is hardly worth heading for as the long route is just too risky a proposition if the boulder has gained any sort of momentum.

On the other hand Horus may be a far simpler proposition but those elements work very well and a large part of the reason why this is so is because the entry and exit point are one in the same. This forces the heroes to return to whence they came and if they want the valuable artefacts they will need to travel deep into the Pyramid.

From here all the elements work.

The Mummies are a real threat and force the players to manoeuvre around them or suffer the consequences, which can suck up valuable actions. The idol sequences are not easy to roll, especially the longer ones and if successful they come at a cost. Although the other areas may seem a little bland by comparison (get a treasure or get bitten by something), they do encourage the players to ‘gamble’ and this is something that Chac does not always accomplish because the risks are too great in some cases.

For me Horus offers less variety but all that it offers serves a purpose and forms a tightly designed package.

1-Up to Horus and we are tied!

d10-3 Tension and Climax – A game like The Adventurers lives or dies on the level of tension that it can create. Both games succeed in building tension and a climax but Horus does it so much better than Chac. In Chac it is not uncommon for more players than not to exit the Temple, totals are compared and semi-regularly the results may not be too close. This is because the most common exit in Chac, the River, creates its own momentum and if a hero exits the River successfully, they have little option but to head to the exit due to the Rolling Boulder.

In this way Chac can take some control away from the players. The Rolling Boulder is also an unreliable climactic tool as it relies on the roll of a dice and this can affect the tempo and pacing of the game…sometimes not for the better.

The other element that adds to the tension in Chac is the ‘Collapsing Floor’. This is something of a puzzle though that can become less threatening if a player can learn some codes back in the ‘Crushing Walls’ area. If they do this however it takes away some of the danger. If a player is unable to discover anything then they enter this area at their own risk and the luck factor is increased. Either outcome is far from ideal and can lead some players to avoid it entirely if the Rolling Boulder is slow and gives them the option to go around.

Horus succeeds where Chac sometimes fails because its main source of tension, the Falling Stone Roof, is controlled and consistent. This allows the players to better predict how much time they may have and this allows them to take more calculated risks. This tends to see the players pushing things right down to the wire in almost every play and that makes the tension work so much better than Chac.

The climax is also so much greater in Horus because of how those stones fall. Whilst they may be random, a single block can have grave implications because falling in exactly the ‘wrong’ spot may block off more than a single path to freedom due to the fact that heroes can only move orthogonally. Hence blocks that land diagonally from one another block off far more spaces than just the two they occupy. I’ve no doubt explained that poorly but I hope you get the idea.

So +1 to Horus, which takes a 2-1 lead.

d10-4 The Power Issue – All of the above points pretty much sum up what the two games have to offer. The only other thing not mentioned is the one-shot power of each hero. This element remains the same in both games (the fact they are one-shots) but the powers differ in each game based on the mechanical elements that are featured.

But Horus wins in this department too because the designers probably realised that a single one-shot power is a little limiting. In Horus the concept of special items is introduced and they can be discovered in the entry to the Pyramid amongst the rubble. If found these items offer up variations on the ‘Powers’ concept or even duplicates in some cases. They can also offer up some antidotes to the various bites that can be suffered. Placing these in the entrance-way to the Pyramid is also great design as they can be very useful, but stopping to search for any length of time will allow the competition to reach the more valued artefacts first.

So there is a trade-off that must be made if a player thinks a few items could be worth it.

+1 to Horus and it takes the Win 3-1

The Almanac of Powers and Items

Each character is bestowed with a power and some item offer up a power or ability as well. All of these are one shot uses and I thought I'd cover them briefly here...

Dodge (Chantal Sarti) - Allows a hero to dodge a stone block as it falls, moving the hero figure to an adjacent space without taking damage.

Clairvoyance (Rasputin, Udjat)) - The hero with clairvoyance can sense which part of the ceiling will fall next. When used a player can pick a stone block and look at its number. They can then chose to place it beside the board or to throw it back and select another one, which will be placed beside the board but not be seen by the player.

When the start player for the round goes to pick a stone block, they must use the one put beside the board.

Linguistics (Abdel Wahab) -
Allows a hero to decipher the hieroglyphics on a sarcophagus. This allows a player to look at the value of a sarcophagus card without costing an action.

Lock Picking (Jose Ardila, Crowbar) -
Allows a player to pick a lock to access a God Idol. If a player fails to roll a straight sequence by 1 number, they use lock picking to get the final digit.

Reflexes (Maki Watanabe, Antidote Vial) - Allows a hero to avoid the effects of a scorpion sting or cobra bite. When one of these cards is drawn it can be discarded instantly...but only once.

Shoot (David Gore) - Allows a hero to shoot a Mummy at point blank range (adjacent space). This renders the Mummy prone for a turn, the figure should be laid down. When the Mummy dice are rolled it will merely stand up and cannot move until the next round. This can gain a hero just enough time to grab some loot before moving to safety.

Stamina (Delroy Chartier) - Made of sterner stuff than most, a hero with Stamina can lower their WLL stat by 1 level for the rest of the current turn.

Swimming (Edgar Rice, Medi Kit) - Allows a hero to escape the Crocodile Pond in time to avoid a croc bite. Discard a croc bite card when it is drawn...but only once.

Bag - This item allows a player to place up to 2 Treasure Cards into a bag, which only counts as a value of 1 for calculating a player's WLL. So in effect it reduces the number of cards a player has by 1.

The Final Word

So my trusty pack-mule, we made it again and live to regale the barflies with another tale of adventure. I never thought I’d hear myself say it but I respect and enjoy the Pyramid of Horus for dialling back the number of elements in play and offering up what is a streamlined, tight game that plays and feels spot-on. Horus also plays in a shorter time-frame, lasting no more than 30-40 minutes at the most and this is perfect for the weight of play on offer.

If I had to be critical it would be to say that sometimes the game can end prematurely if the wrong combination of stone blocks fall and this can lead to 10-15 minute games where no-one gets out. But at that length at least the table can all laugh at their misfortune, reset and start again. I’ll always prefer this outcome over a game that outstays its welcome on a regular basis.

If it’s a light-weight adventuring game with some nice miniatures and streamlined play you are after, then The Pyramid of Horus may be right up your alley. But if you like more variety in your play then The Temple of Chac may be the best place to start.

Till next we meet may your sarcophagi be laden with Jewels and the Crocodiles chew on someone else!

Image Courtesy of W Eric Martin

Review Links

For a full list of my 300+ reviews in a search-able Geeklist -

My Review Geeklist for Easy Reference

Other Adventurers Reviews

The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac - A Detailed Review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Re: The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus - A Detailed Review
Great review of a very good game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking at these 2 games for quite a while to play with my 2 boys, but could never decide which one to get. Now I have no excuse !
Thanks for the awesome review, you do a splendid job. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review. I've had this game for awhile, but my game group (30-40+ year-old beer swilling men) just played it at the last game day, and the concensus was that the game was a definate winner. The Temple of Chac, on the other hand was not so well received, but maybe we need to give that one another go.

Another member said he would probably purchase a copy of Horus for his own, as he could see playing it with his wife.

We wound-up playing it over again as each one of us had concieved a "strategy".
My poorly throught out idea was to use Rasputin, and scarf up all of the Eyes of Ra medallions, using them with my special ability in quick succession when I spotted a choke point from the falling ceiling blocks and try to trap the other players inside prematurely and thus win by default. The idea didn't work due to bad block drawing (but I came close!) and it was awesome watching the guys do spit takes and calling me 4 letter words - when after 3 player turns in a row I used the ability to try and trap them inside.

The other players each had a different plan of attack, which I felt was a neat aspect that I hadn't even considerd during the game.

There really isn't much opportunity to sabotage each other in this game, though. Yet despite that, we had a good time playing it.

It's quick, simple to learn, the urgency of movement building slowly to a tense finale. Even losing this game is fun ride to ruin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.