Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Posting here is very frustrating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I have a very hard time navigating this site in the first place. But on top of that I have tried 4x to submit a post and it keeps getting rejected as an "article." I have no desire to post an article. Is there some reason why I cannot submit a simple comment?
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Before submitting your post are you checking the box "This is a good post ..." ? If so, you should not
9 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you tried to post a session report. Session Reports go through community moderation before they are posted. If you post in the general forums, that's not the case.

When you compose your posts, look at the bottom of the box and make sure to uncheck the box that says "This is a good post - please consider it for a GeekGold award (Pending user moderation - post will be hidden until approved. If it is not awarded geekgold, it will not be posted to the forums.)" if you don't want it to be community moderated.

Hang in there, BGG has a lot of little quirks to get used to but it's fairly simply once you get the hang of it.
8 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theclergy wrote:
I have a very hard time navigating this site in the first place. But on top of that I have tried 4x to submit a post and it keeps getting rejected as an "article." I have no desire to post an article. Is there some reason why I cannot submit a simple comment?


It seems that you were able to submit this one all right.

I don't know what kind of post you were trying to submit, but if it was either a review or a session report, you should be aware that it is always sent for moderation, where it may be rejected. This is based on the opinion of whoever is reading the post in geekmod, but I would have thought that it is possibly because it was considered too short.

Posts in any other forum (such as this one) are not moderated automatically, but only if you check the box that says this a good post.
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
DaveD wrote:
theclergy wrote:
I have a very hard time navigating this site in the first place. But on top of that I have tried 4x to submit a post and it keeps getting rejected as an "article." I have no desire to post an article. Is there some reason why I cannot submit a simple comment?


It seems that you were able to submit this one all right.

I don't know what kind of post you were trying to submit, but if it was either a review or a session report, you should be aware that it is always sent for moderation, where it may be rejected. This is based on the opinion of whoever is reading the post in geekmod, but I would have thought that it is possibly because it was considered too short.

Posts in any other forum (such as this one) are not moderated automatically, but only if you check the box that says this a good post.


Good point. Obviously it worked this time.laugh
It would appear that I am not being careful enough.
Thanks for the feedback.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
I too had a hard time with this site at the beginning but I just kept reading and learning and getting more familiar with how things work. This helped me a lot.
I think you'll find the people here by and large courteous and very willing to help. (There's always the few exceptions, as in everything)
Have fun here and welcome!
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Well, tried again, didn't work.
Moderators, it looks like you can expect yet another "article submission" from me.
I did everything recommended here. Right boxes NOT checked and so on.
I give up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
MillertimeRC wrote:
Before submitting your post are you checking the box "This is a good post ..." ? If so, you should not

Wondered if somehow this was happening because I was using an iPad...? Anyhow, I have been meticulous on the desktop, double-checked everything I can think of and have read about.
Doesn't work. Why it worked here I have no idea, but I can't get a game report where I want it to go.
I will stick to reading and give up on contributing.
Thanks for trying to help.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Avatar
theclergy wrote:
Well, tried again, didn't work.
Moderators, it looks like you can expect yet another "article submission" from me.
I did everything recommended here. Right boxes NOT checked and so on.
I give up.


You submitted a Session report in the Sessions sub-section of the game's forum.

Session reports are ALWAYS going through User Moderation, which is where it now is...

User Moderation is called GeekMod, you can Mod yourself as well (not your own content tho), here.
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This site is like one of those houses we have here in New England that was started 300 years ago and then had 14 additions put on. No one would have designed it like this if they were starting from scratch, but then again no one knew at the start that this is what it would become.

So the people who create the site's functionality really aren't indifferent to ease of use issues; they simply don't have the time and resources to re-do it all from scratch. (And we have too many old New England houses being bulldozed so McMansions can be built on their lots.)
11 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Jatoha wrote:
I see you tried to post a session report. Session Reports go through community moderation before they are posted. If you post in the general forums, that's not the case.

When you compose your posts, look at the bottom of the box and make sure to uncheck the box that says "This is a good post - please consider it for a GeekGold award (Pending user moderation - post will be hidden until approved. If it is not awarded geekgold, it will not be posted to the forums.)" if you don't want it to be community moderated.

Hang in there, BGG has a lot of little quirks to get used to but it's fairly simply once you get the hang of it.


So a session report UNDER the list of General Forum requires moderation?

edit: just read your reply. Thanks. That actually does alleviate some of my misunderstanding and frustration. You can ignore my submission to you for moderation. I have no wish for that. I simply wanted to express the enjoyment I had at some game success.

I DO appreciate your help. Cheers.
6 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theclergy wrote:
Jatoha wrote:
I see you tried to post a session report. Session Reports go through community moderation before they are posted. If you post in the general forums, that's not the case.

When you compose your posts, look at the bottom of the box and make sure to uncheck the box that says "This is a good post - please consider it for a GeekGold award (Pending user moderation - post will be hidden until approved. If it is not awarded geekgold, it will not be posted to the forums.)" if you don't want it to be community moderated.

Hang in there, BGG has a lot of little quirks to get used to but it's fairly simply once you get the hang of it.


So a session report UNDER the list of General Forum requires moderation?

edit: just read your reply. Thanks. That actually does alleviate some of my misunderstanding and frustration. You can ignore my submission to you for moderation. I have no wish for that. I simply wanted to express the enjoyment I had at some game success.

I DO appreciate your help. Cheers.


Yes, session reports and reviews are always moderated when posted on the game page.

You could submit your session report on your blog if you'd like. Then anyone subscribed to the game will get a notification and can read it.

Yep, you can have a blog here.

Here's how: Go to My Geek (at the top of the page) >> Blogs >> Create a Blog

You can post anything (within the rules there) without worry of moderation. Have fun!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
While you are poking around the site, this is a good place to start: Tricks of the Geek.

SO useful!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry you've been finding it frustrating, but as you can see folks are more than happy to help out wherever they can so continue to ask if you run into trouble ..

And WELCOME 2 BGG! meeple
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theclergy wrote:
So a session report UNDER the list of General Forum requires moderation?

edit: just read your reply. Thanks. That actually does alleviate some of my misunderstanding and frustration. You can ignore my submission to you for moderation. I have no wish for that. I simply wanted to express the enjoyment I had at some game success.

Welcome!

When you post to the game forums, you have to pick a sub-forum (Reviews, Sessions etc.) Reviews and sessions are always moderated. There is only one level, and you have to pick a sub-forum.

So, you have two ways to go:

1. Post in a different sub-forum, probably General unless you're playing a Variant, have a Rules question, or are trying a new Strategy.

2. Read some other Session Reports, especially those with lots of thumbs (thumbsup) and try to improve your report so it will be accepted.

Hope this helps. Welcome again!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
I see you tried to post a session report. Session Reports go through community moderation before they are posted. If you post in the general forums, that's not the case.

When you compose your posts, look at the bottom of the box and make sure to uncheck the box that says "This is a good post - please consider it for a GeekGold award (Pending user moderation - post will be hidden until approved. If it is not awarded geekgold, it will not be posted to the forums.)" if you don't want it to be community moderated.

Hang in there, BGG has a lot of little quirks to get used to but it's fairly simply once you get the hang of it.


I've put in a bug report for this. See: Visual feedback needed for Session posts to a game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.