Popular Tags: [View All]
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I hope the expansions (it's FFG, so I take it as a given that they will make expansions) just give us more stuff that can be mixed into the base game. I think they can do so much with rules on the AO sheets, mysteries and research encounters, it shouldn't be necessary to change any base rules. Also, I hope they don't tie components other than the AO-specific compenents to the theme of the expansion. I want more stuff that can be mixed into the base game, never to be taken out again. IMO, the theme of the expansion can easily be covered by the AO-specific components.

In short, don't go the Arkham Horror way. The game is perfect as it is, just give us more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please please no new boards. We don't need "other world" boards. How much sense would it make for investigators to have a map of places that few mortals have ever been?

What we need is "more of the same":
More investigators
More GOOs
More location encounters
More mythos cards (especially rumors)

These are things that would be nice, but aren't needed as desperately:
More research encounters per GOO
More assets, artifacts, spells, and conditions
More otherworld and expedition encounters

If they are going to add new things that can be integrated regardless of GOO, keep it simple. Some of these stuff would be cool:
Personal stories
Relationships
"Skill" cards that investigators can draw instead of taking improvements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I agree with Cameron. We don't need the game to take up a larger foot print with additional boards. We need more variety in the cards, GOOs, and Investigators. I'm not even sure we need more card types, just more cards of the existing types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly, I agree with you, but I would put "more research encounters per GOO" higher on my list. Those decks go empty quite fast. On the other hand, you don't play with the same deck in every game. Still, I would really like more of them.

I agree that personal stories and relationships would be a great thing to add if they want to add something new. Those are easy to take out, if you don't want to use them. Same with skills, although personally, I don't think I would ever use skills instead of improvements. I think it's a burden to keep track of all the bonuses from cards in AH, and skill cards would make EH more like AH, in this sense. If they do add skill cards, they would also have to make separate decks for each skill, so that you can still go to Rome to improve Will, Shanghai to improve Lore, etc. I would not want it to be random which skill you improve, like in AH.

Regarding new boards, I agree completely. Give us many small (and cheap) expansions with more of the same. I don't want to pay for new boards that make the game take up even more space on the table. Maps of other worlds would be a terrible idea anyway, because it would take away some of the mysticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want any new mechanics, especially anything that adds ANY fiddlyness to setup of the game or the execution of the phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Akmal
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
The best thing i like about this game more than AH is the
Mysteries, Research and Special encounters pertaining to the GOOs.
So i would like to see more of those (yes that includes the current 4)
It would seriously be cool if a GOO had like 4 or 5 mysteries in order to stop it from awakening. Or it had like 2 final mysteries...
That would shut the guys who said that the game is too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neonsurfboard wrote:
I agree with Cameron. We don't need the game to take up a larger foot print with additional boards. We need more variety in the cards, GOOs, and Investigators. I'm not even sure we need more card types, just more cards of the existing types.

It may not have been clear from my post, but I don't want new types of cards. If they do make new types of cards, I hope they don't add any rules that can not be stated on one of the existing card types. For instance, you could have conditions that tell you to draw a card from a specific deck, just like you have encounters that make you draw exhibit items in King in Yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with that. I proposed new card types that would needed references of their own:

Personal stories and relationships are given to investigators during setup. No game component needs to refer to them.

My thought for skills is that they would totally replace improvements as an optional variant. So, if I was instructed to improve strength, I'd draw from the strength improvements and see what I get. It might often be +1 strength but it could also be something else like +2 strength outside of combat, or reduce attack of monsters I'm fighting, etc. the skills could even give investigators new actions, giving players new ways to specialize and evolve their character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add to the chorus of folks who don't want the game's footprint to expand. No additional boards, please.

The very best thing I'd wish for would be a huge fattening of the various decks, as has already been stated.

Next, maybe an encounter card with a simple set of decisions:

Example:

The creature's lair proves to be a cave at the end of the pass. Inside you find strewn bones from large animals and humans. You discover a clutch of the beast's young. They possess blobby heads like diseased potatoes, shriveled insectoid bodies, and each a set of five coal-black eyes. You haven't much time!

Do you:
Kill the infants?
Search quickly for remains of Dolores Lockhart?
Take a photograph of the young, and then collect a sample of their mucus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The short version is "make the game taller, not wider"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A book of encounters would be pretty cool too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Please please no new boards. We don't need "other world" boards. How much sense would it make for investigators to have a map of places that few mortals have ever been?

More investigators
More GOOs
More location encounters

If they are going to add new things that can be integrated regardless of GOO, keep it simple. Some of these stuff would be cool:
Personal stories
Relationships

Yes please!!! thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2-4 new Ancient Ones
More Research cards for the original AOs
More generic City/Sea/Wilderness cards
A couple new Investigators
Something that requires you to go to Expeditions
Couple new Monsters of course
I figure and Expansion would have brand-new types of Conditions as well
New Expeditions you can attach to the board with push-pins :-D

So far the game seems City-heavy, most of the Encounters happen in City spaces. Sea and Wilderness encounters are pretty rare which is a shame since all the cool stuff seems to happen outdoors. Hope there's something that puts more focus on Sea/Wilderness...

My guess is they'll do a Nyarlathotep scenario with all sorts of new stuff, "Masks" etc. Does this count as a New Years prediction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind seeing some of the out-of-the-ordinary skills from Arkham. Maybe make them a new kind of Asset - "Training: may not be traded".

Wrestling: add one to each die rolled for strength during a combat encounter.
Credit Rating: Once per turn, add 1 success to any Influence check.
Mythos Lore: -1 Maximum Sanity; Once per turn may use this as a clue token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really miss the more specific sorts of other world and location encounters that AH had. I'd love to see encounter cards or gates specifically for different worlds (i.e. a gate to Ryleh opening on sea space #X or a gate to the Dreamlands opening in wilderness space #X). The one complaint I have about EH vs. AH is that EH feels very generic in its encounters (major city locations excepted), whereas AH had such specific and flavorful events everywhere you went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I might be in the minority, but I'd LOVE to have boards for other worlds, or even boards to expand expedition spaces into larger adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which means we'll only see POD expansions...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zpeteman wrote:
Also, I might be in the minority, but I'd LOVE to have boards for other worlds, or even boards to expand expedition spaces into larger adventures.

As a practical matter, I'm having trouble fitting EH on our gaming table now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Davis
msg tools
mbmb
matthewabair wrote:
zpeteman wrote:

As a practical matter, I'm having trouble fitting EH on our gaming table now.

Same. I have to play EH on the floor because I don't own a table that can accommodate it. Please, no more boards!

I'm with those who feel the game is slightly on the anemic side and needs a good doubling of most encounter decks. I'd love to see a handful of additional mysteries for each GOO. More of the other stuff, too: GOO's, investigators, monsters.

The only two aspects of the game I'd like to see gain some expanded scope would be Gates and Expeditions. I could easily see an expansion with Gates that had their own specific cards with unique Reckoning effects and maybe even a handful of unique encounters.

Likewise, I would love for Expeditions to develop into something a little more...well, just a little more. As it is, they're neat and rewarding, but I think they could be more involved and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Personal stories and relationships are given to investigators during setup. No game component needs to refer to them.

I would rather not see relationships brought back; I thought they were a weak link in Arkham.

I'm also not interested in seeing the Huge Pile O' Great Old Ones. Yes, I would like to see more of the big boys. But I would rather see more development of the existing ones first. That is to say: more mysteries and research encounters per GOO. You shouldn't know what's probably coming up as each deck thins out. I would also like to see more location encounters and condition cards. (Not necessarily more conditions. I won't say "no" to them, but just think that it would be nice to have more cards per condition, so you have less idea what fate will befall you at reckoning. Likewise, more spell cards.)

For a really odd idea to buff out the GOOs, possibly have locations that are specific to one Great Old One or another. That is to say-- we have a number of ancient mystical locations that aren't on the map: the Mayan temples, Mt. Fuji, Atlantis... you get the idea. It might be possible to have overlays to put on the map with these locations, but they will only show up for specific GOOs. So if you play with some all-destroying GOO, the Aztec ruins may show up: you would put the "Aztec Ruins" location marker over the currently empty space in Central America, and could draw from an encounter deck with the special locations. With other GOOs, you wouldn't see the Aztec Ruins, if you were in London, you would have the opportunity to draw from an encounter deck with Stonehenge in it, and with a third GOO, the ruins of Babylon may be nestled in as a totally new location on the path between Istanbul and India.

(For what it's worth: I considered asking for location encounters keyed to specific GOOs added to the existing decks, but realized that the nuisance factor of adding them, and then removing them each game Just Wasn't Worth It. This approach sorta follows that idea, while not overburdening the game with more fiddlyness.)

And finally, for a couple more oddball ideas that I'm not sure if I actually would like in reality, but that sound interesting enough to run though playtesting, at least:
* Multiple GOO cards. The front side is the same. The back side is different.
* Multiple character cards. The front side is the same. The back side is different. No, like I said, I'm not sure if this one is worth it. But it's still an interesting idea.

Oh, and finally: if any new Mythos cards get added, have a bunch that say "one half of the investigators rounded down"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add my vote to the "no new boards please!" tally. For EH I would like "more of the same". No new card types, no new phases of play, and especially no new boards.

I would like to see more encounter cards of all types, more Great Old Ones, more mysteries for existing GOOs, more expedition cards and the ancillary stuff that makes that possible (epic critters and what have you).

I bought EH because AH is basically unplayable in my current lifestyle (no weekend, one weekday off, married with obligations, etc.). I can sit down for a few hours in the evening once every week or two, but that's it. So the game has to fit into that window. And if I play with my wife, the game has to fit in our living space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zpeteman wrote:

You know, I could handle more boards as long as they don't run concurrently. If you've played some of the Elder Sign: Omens iPad expansion material, you'll know what I mean.

For example, after solving two mysteries for a specific GOO, all investigators get swept up onto a separate board for mystery number three. (You put the original board away.) The new board would be a temple interior, other world, oceanic voyage, etc...

edit: clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bellettini
Italy
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prince of Moskova wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

More investigators
More GOOs
More location encounters

Personal stories
Relationships

Yes please!!! thumbsupthumbsup

Yes, yes, yes!!!
And i like too the idea of encounters with variable outcomes based on investigators choice or the addition of some sort of encounter book!

And yes FFG please make the game "Taller"!

Fhtagn everybody!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly more fiddly, but for specific other world encounters they could release additional tokens that are round and slightly smaller than the current gate tokens.

When you spawn a gate, take a token from this pile, and place it face up on that gate, this token has a specific other world on it. From now on when you draw an old world card you draw until you find the matching one.

Not sure if there is any theme behind any of the other world cards though, so doubt it would add much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More generic encounters would be good.

But I'd also like to see more location-specific encounters - and perhaps more named locations in which to have them. This could perhaps be achieved with stickers/overlays on the board, or perhaps just with encounter cards keyed to numbered locations.

Even just a few encounters specific to e.g. the Northern Territory, or Cape Town or Bombay, would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.