Subject: BattleSnails rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Watson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good day gamers!

Hi! My name is Tad. I am a secondary Math teacher at a Governor's School who likes to play games and study game theory, and recently I have become an independent game developer. I have created a game, Battlegrounds, designed to be simple, quick, 2 player, and fun. After selling a few copies locally, I have been advised by many friends to have the game published, and so I am writing to receive advice regarding how to publish Battlegrounds. Do you have any helpful recommendations for me?

Respectfully,
Tad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
So to clarify, you're looking for advice on how to get your game published and not on the game itself.

Usually steps 1-5 include making sure you playtest the base game enough where you feel the rules are solid and then finalizing artwork, possibly with a commissioned artist right here on this site.

Once you've done that, find a print company who will create demos. Creating the demo first is important, it will give you something tactile to take with you to conventions or as a marketing tool (as well as pictures for a website if you so choose) but it will also give you something to visually size up and with it a price point.

From there, you budget. If I print X copies, it will cost me Y. Can I afford that? How much do I need to sell the game for to make profit? Remember that if you are printing your own, you take your own risk so you might want to start small. The flip side of that is that usually the more you print, the cheaper the end product ends up being.

The last part is usually the part everyone forgets about. Set up a website, a facebook page, attend local cons, get a business card, etc and market your game so you aren't stuck with 500 copies at the end of the day. There are a number of self publishing games on this site so following their lead should prevent you from having to reinvent the wheel.

Also, I would say another error would be treating the BGG community as a big pot of consumers who buy your game no questions asked and make your life easier. Many people, who have never been here, think "oh, there's a bunch of gamers there, a perfect place for me to market my game and get a number of sales." It won't work like that.

We are a great community and you should take time and make posts (like this one), ask questions and otherwise get involved as it can only help you. Once in a while someone here posts a project (usually as a free Print and Play) that takes on a life of it's own and the community gets really excited about it and buys into it (D-Day Dice). But for the most part we are a collection of gamers, designers and publishers that like to talk about board games, and expecting the community to be anything but that will prove to be frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Watson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good advice, thank you!

I am currently at the exact step you described:

-The last part is usually the part everyone forgets about. Set up a website, a facebook page, attend local cons, get a business card, etc and market your game so you aren't stuck with 500 copies at the end of the day. There are a number of self publishing games on this site so following their lead should prevent you from having to reinvent the wheel. -

This game has been almost two years in the making and so I'm in no rush. I now know which way to go next.

Happy New Year,
-Tad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.