Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Pritchard
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the more common gripes about EH is the lack of information about what skill is needed for tests at each location. While the reference guide does give a partial break down of what skills are best for some locations, it is not comprehensive. To help, I've gone through all of the decks and put together a chart that lists each location and what skill(s) are most probable for that location.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Location L I O S W
Arkham L
San Francisco W
Buenos Aires L
London O
Rome I W
Istanbul W
Shanghai I O
Tokyo I
Sydney I W

Other Worlds L W
General City I
General Wild L O S W
General Sea L I O
Expedition O S

L = Lore
I = Influence
O = Observation
S = Strength
W = Will

For those who want to know how these were derived:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
For each location, I've marked the skills where that skill is needed for at least 20% of tests at that location (this includes instances where a Clue must be spent, but does not include other effects like becoming delayed, spending health, or those instances where you get something just for drawing the card). For the Complex Expedition and Other World Encounters, I included all 3 tests in my calculation.

I wouldn't mind if someone with some skills could convert this into a reference card. Maybe double sided with the city locations on one side and the other locations on the reverse. Using the actual skill symbols instead of letters, or course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I was just working on this myself last night. I didn't want a chart that gave everything away, so I took all my numbers and boiled them down to text. When a test or reward are in parentheses, they're of a lower probability than the first-named test or reward. I didn't bother mentioning tests or rewards that occurred rarely.

Arkham: Test Lore to receive a Spell.
San Francisco: Test Will to improve Observation.
Buenos Aires: Test Lore to receive a Spell.
London: Test Observation to spawn a Clue.
Rome: Test Influence (or Will) to improve Will or become Blessed.
Istanbul: Test Will to improve Influence.
Shanghai: Test Influence or Observation to improve Lore.
Tokyo: Test Influence to affect a Monster.
Sydney: Test Influence (or Will) to improve Strength.

City: Test Influence (or Observation or Strength or Will) to get an Asset (or a Clue).
Wilderness: Test Observation (or Lore or Strength or Will) to get an Artifact or Clue.
Sea: Test Lore (or Influence or Observation or lose Sanity) to get a Clue (or an Artifact).

Expeditions: Test Strength (or Observation) to pass first test. If first test passed, test Lore (or Observation or Will) to pass second test. If first test failed, test Observation (or Influence or Strength) to pass second test.

Other Worlds: Test Will (or Lore or Influence) to pass first test. If first test passed, test Lore to pass second test. If first test failed, spend Clue (or test Will or Strength) to pass second test.

I hope that helps someone. I certainly hope it helps me!

[Edit: Reversed tests and rewards for San Francisco and Buenos Aires.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonovanLoucks wrote:
Funny, I was just working on this myself last night. I didn't want a chart that gave everything away, so I took all my numbers and boiled them down to text. When a test or reward are in parentheses, they're of a lower probability than the first-named test or reward. I didn't bother mentioning tests or rewards that occurred rarely.

Arkham: Test Lore to receive a Spell.
San Francisco: Test Lore to receive a Spell.
Buenos Aires: Test Will to improve Observation.
London: Test Observation to spawn a Clue.
Rome: Test Influence (or Will) to improve Will or become Blessed.
Istanbul: Test Will to improve Influence.
Shanghai: Test Influence or Observation to improve Lore.
Tokyo: Test Influence to affect a Monster.
Sydney: Test Influence (or Will) to improve Strength.

City: Test Influence (or Observation or Strength or Will) to get an Asset (or a Clue).
Wilderness: Test Observation (or Lore or Strength or Will) to get an Artifact or Clue.
Sea: Test Lore (or Influence or Observation or lose Sanity) to get a Clue (or an Artifact).

Expeditions: Test Strength (or Observation) to pass first test. If first test passed, test Lore (or Observation or Will) to pass second test. If first test failed, test Observation (or Influence or Strength) to pass second test.

Other Worlds: Test Will (or Lore or Influence) to pass first test. If first test passed, test Lore to pass second test. If first test failed, spend Clue (or test Will or Strength) to pass second test.

I hope that helps someone. I certainly hope it helps me!

Unless my board has a misprint on it Buenos Aires gives spells and San Francisco improves observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyshoggoth wrote:
Unless my board has a misprint on it Buenos Aires gives spells and San Francisco improves observation.

You are correct, sir. I'll make the correction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gpritch3 wrote:
I wouldn't mind if someone with some skills could convert this into a reference card. Maybe double sided with the city locations on one side and the other locations on the reverse. Using the actual skill symbols instead of letters, or course

Unfortunately, skill symbols are impossible to find right now. I have an idea for how I would do it with the symbols that is pretty sweet in my head, but good correct-colored or transparent-backed symbols are a no-go.

However, give feedback on this please!

http://imgur.com/REOvgEl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
gpritch3 wrote:

Unfortunately, skill symbols are impossible to find right now. I have an idea for how I would do it with the symbols that is pretty sweet in my head, but good correct-colored or transparent-backed symbols are a no-go.

However, give feedback on this please!

http://imgur.com/REOvgEl

Great so far, though I'd include more things for newbies.

I also edited it a bit. I included observation for Clue tokens, since that is presently true for all GOOs. I also added the word "and" to gates and monsters, as you often need both to succeed (unless you are the redeemed cultist).

Likely Skills Tested for Encounters

City: Influence
Wilderness: Lore, Observation, Strength, or Will
Sea: Lore, Influence, or Observation

Monster: Strength and Will
Clue: Observation
Gate: Lore and Will
Expedition: Observation or Strength

Arkham: Lore
San Francisco: Will
Buenos Aires: Lore
London: Observation
Rome: Influence or Will
Istanbul: Will
Shanghai: Influence or Observation
Tokyo: Influence
Sydney: Influence or Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the name of brevity, I'm shortening Wilderness to "Anything but Influence" on the reference card when I whip it up tomorrow or w/e.

What else would you add that isn't on the board already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.