Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the theme how does this compare to M&M? They both seem very similar from what little I've read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
Besides the theme how does this compare to M&M? They both seem very similar from what little I've read.

I haven't played Xia yet of course, but from reviewing the rules and watching Cody play the game, the game is going to be a lot different than M&M. By the way, I played quite a few games of M&M. M&M has a predefined map that has varying resource locations while Xia has a modular board that is different every time you play. There is no underlying war between nations in Xia so there are not any enemy ships searching to fight you with the exception of the Kickstarter exclusive Sellsword ship.

The two are very similar in the delivery of goods and mission cards. In addition, in both games, bounties are levied for offenses. Instead of merchant ships in M&M, players can attack a single trader ship in Xia that has a pre-defined trade route depending on the locations of the planets as they show up. Players can upgrade to better ships in both games. Xia has a far more detailed treatment of the ships themselves through energy allocation and cargo capacity as shown on the ship boards. This is a key part of the game.

Overall, Xia is FAR more of a sandbox game than M&M. There are far more decision points and you are less likely to be affected by random game events in Xia than in M&M (enemy warships/storms) not triggered by the player.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
There is no underlying war between nations in Xia so there are not any enemy ships searching to fight you with the exception of the Kickstarter exclusive Sellsword ship.

This is wrong. There is the Scoundrel and the police ship which name eludes me that will hunt you depending on which side of the law you operate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
Teamski wrote:
There is no underlying war between nations in Xia so there are not any enemy ships searching to fight you with the exception of the Kickstarter exclusive Sellsword ship.

This is wrong. There is the Scoundrel and the police ship which name eludes me that will hunt you depending on which side of the law you operate.

Thanks, I missed that..... The NPC ships are the Scoundrel, Enforcer and Merchant with the Sellsword being a Kickstarter exclusive.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troels Rohde Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the Sellssword, as the name is implied, is for the players to hire, to fight some of their battles.

...Troels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.