Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: All Wounds, But I Feel No Pain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there is a similar thread, but this is a different question.

Situation: My hand contains a bunch of wound cards (well more than my hand size) and no non-wound cards, but I also have Tovak's skill I Feel No Pain:
Quote:
Once a turn, except in combat: Discard one Wound from hand. If you do, draw a card.


So instead of taking a slow recovery, which might take many turns, I use the skill to discard a wound and draw from the deed deck. If the new card is not a wound, then I immediately discard it and all my wound cards with a standard rest.

It seems right, but here's why I ask. Three of us were playing against Volkare (where he assaults the city). We were in the city, and Volkare was right at the gates. On Volkare's turn, he drew a spell card so he attacked. We all fully attended and were able to defeat at least three tokens, but I (as Tovak) took about ten wounds, so I was knocked out. The others took many wounds, too, but still had some hand size capacity so they had some non-wound cards.

Volkare was pushed back two spaces from the city, but since he drew a spell card, he immediately moved right next the city again.

We all fully attended the previous combat, so all we could do was flip up our round order tokens. Thus, nobody could rest and get some useful cards.

Volkare then pulled a non-wound card, meaning he's attacking again without any of us able to rest. Looking at our skills, units and few cards, we could defeat at least three again, but the other two players needed the cards in their hand to defeat a few enemy tokens and thus cannot be knocked out. So we assigned almost every unit to me and the others just took a few orcs. That meant I got about 20 wounds in that one battle! (I still killed an orc with a few of my skills.)

So with 30 wounds in my hand, during the next turn that I could act, I used the I Feel No Pain skill, discarded one wound, drew a non-wound card, and then immediately took a standard rest. I was ready to fight again! Since it was the last round of the game, I didn't care about the wounds in my discard pile.

Because I had that skill, we could direct all those units to me, let me get hit with Volkare's second consecutive attack, and be ready to go again.

So did we do that correctly? It makes that one skill pretty good in Volkare's scenarios; direct all the units to Tovak and let him get knocked out, as he can bounce back (assuming he doesn't draw another wound card when using the skill).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aliallison wrote:
I know there is a similar thread, but this is a different question.

Situation: My hand contains a bunch of wound cards (well more than my hand size) and no non-wound cards, but I also have Tovak's skill I Feel No Pain:
Quote:
Once a turn, except in combat: Discard one Wound from hand. If you do, draw a card.


So instead of taking a slow recovery, which might take many turns, I use the skill to discard a wound and draw from the deed deck. If the new card is not a wound, then I immediately discard it and all my wound cards with a standard rest.

It seems right, but here's why I ask. Three of us were playing against Volkare (where he assaults the city). We were in the city, and Volkare was right at the gates. On Volkare's turn, he drew a spell card so he attacked. We all fully attended and were able to defeat at least three tokens, but I (as Tovak) took about ten wounds, so I was knocked out. The others took many wounds, too, but still had some hand size capacity so they had some non-wound cards.

Volkare was pushed back two spaces from the city, but since he drew a spell card, he immediately moved right next the city again.

We all fully attended the previous combat, so all we could do was flip up our round order tokens. Thus, nobody could rest and get some useful cards.

Volkare then pulled a non-wound card, meaning he's attacking again without any of us able to rest. Looking at our skills, units and few cards, we could defeat at least three again, but the other two players needed the cards in their hand to defeat a few enemy tokens and thus cannot be knocked out. So we assigned almost every unit to me and the others just took a few orcs. That meant I got about 20 wounds in that one battle! (I still killed an orc with a few of my skills.)

So with 30 wounds in my hand, during the next turn that I could act, I used the I Feel No Pain skill, discarded one wound, drew a non-wound card, and then immediately took a standard rest. I was ready to fight again! Since it was the last round of the game, I didn't care about the wounds in my discard pile.

Because I had that skill, we could direct all those units to me, let me get hit with Volkare's second consecutive attack, and be ready to go again.

So did we do that correctly? It makes that one skill pretty good in Volkare's scenarios; direct all the units to Tovak and let him get knocked out, as he can bounce back (assuming he doesn't draw another wound card when using the skill).


1. If you use a skill you cannot rest
2. You cannot choose your opponents when fighting Volkare, you get them at random.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:

1. If you use a skill you cannot rest


uuhm... no.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Shelton
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
4
badge
6502
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:

1. If you use a skill you cannot rest
2. You cannot choose your opponents when fighting Volkare, you get them at random.

My reading of the rules is different.

1. On the summary (back of the rules), it says you may either do a regular turn or rest. Then (top of second column), it makes states you can play any special and healing effect on any turn. I know you can play crystalize on a turn you rest (for instance), as supported by other threads.

2. While it is true that you cannot completely decide the division of units for Volkare, you can decide that one person takes all of the "hard" units while others take some division of the "easy" units.

I believe the OP play to be correct (at least as I understand it). A major use of motivation is to draw cards to be able to rest if your hand it full of wounds.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cshelton wrote:
Floating World wrote:

1. If you use a skill you cannot rest
2. You cannot choose your opponents when fighting Volkare, you get them at random.

My reading of the rules is different.

1. On the summary (back of the rules), it says you may either do a regular turn or rest. Then (top of second column), it makes states you can play any special and healing effect on any turn. I know you can play crystalize on a turn you rest (for instance), as supported by other threads.

2. While it is true that you cannot completely decide the division of units for Volkare, you can decide that one person takes all of the "hard" units while others take some division of the "easy" units.

I believe the OP play to be correct (at least as I understand it). A major use of motivation is to draw cards to be able to rest if your hand it full of wounds.


1. The rules state that you can play any number of special (+ symbol) effects and/or any number of healing effects (hand symbol). The aforementioned skill has neither.
2. Where does it say in the rulebook that you can in any way choose the enemy tokens based on any criteria other than the number of tokes each player faces?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Shelton
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
4
badge
6502
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:

1. The rules state that you can play any number of special (+ symbol) effects and/or any number of healing effects (hand symbol). The aforementioned skill has neither.

The "skill card" for Tovak gives the "special effect" symbol next to "I Feel No Pain..." It is not a special effect *card* but it is a special effect.

Floating World wrote:

2. Where does it say in the rulebook that you can in any way choose the enemy tokens based on any criteria other than the number of tokes each player faces?

On page 8 under "Distributing Enemies" it describes how to split the enemies into two groups (white and red in one group and green and gray in the other). Each group can be split among the players separately (ie each player picks a certain number randomly from the group).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Original Poster here (aka OP).

Floating World wrote:

1. The rules state that you can play any number of special (+ symbol) effects and/or any number of healing effects (hand symbol). The aforementioned skill has neither.

The aforementioned skill has the + symbol on the reference card. Also, the card itself states that this can be done once a turn except in combat (so maybe it should have the hand symbol?).

Floating World wrote:
2. Where does it say in the rulebook that you can in any way choose the enemy tokens based on any criteria other than the number of tokes each player faces?

This is different from cooperative assault on a city. Under General Volkare, Cooperative Assault on Volkare, Distributing Enemies (page 8):
Lost Legions Rulebook wrote:
Contrary to a cooperative city assault, players have more control over enemy distribution:

Split tokens of Volkaire's army into two groups. One contains elite troops (white and red tokens), and the other one common troops (gray and green tokens).

You then agree on how many of each type you each face and then randomly distribute within each group. So we were able to distribute weaker enemies (common troops) to the others and I took all the elite troops.

It doesn't affect my question, but I did this part incorrectly, as we choose down to the color instead of bringing them into two groups. Every time I read the rulebook, I seem to find yet something else I do wrong. Oh well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aliallison wrote:
Original Poster here (aka OP).

Floating World wrote:

1. The rules state that you can play any number of special (+ symbol) effects and/or any number of healing effects (hand symbol). The aforementioned skill has neither.

The aforementioned skill has the + symbol on the reference card. Also, the card itself states that this can be done once a turn except in combat (so maybe it should have the hand symbol?).

Floating World wrote:
2. Where does it say in the rulebook that you can in any way choose the enemy tokens based on any criteria other than the number of tokes each player faces?

This is different from cooperative assault on a city. Under General Volkare, Cooperative Assault on Volkare, Distributing Enemies (page 8):
Lost Legions Rulebook wrote:
Contrary to a cooperative city assault, players have more control over enemy distribution:

Split tokens of Volkaire's army into two groups. One contains elite troops (white and red tokens), and the other one common troops (gray and green tokens).

You then agree on how many of each type you each face and then randomly distribute within each group. So we were able to distribute weaker enemies (common troops) to the others and I took all the elite troops.

It doesn't affect my question, but I did this part incorrectly, as we choose down to the color instead of bringing them into two groups. Every time I read the rulebook, I seem to find yet something else I do wrong. Oh well.


Woopsey! Seems we've been making it harder for ourselves all along.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cshelton wrote:
A major use of motivation is to draw cards to be able to rest if your hand it full of wounds.

And I didn't even think of that. After the initial battle with Volkare, we usually level up twice. Anyone can snag a motivation left by someone else in the common offer, and thus have a path to a restful moment.

Thanks for the ninja, by the way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Shelton
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
4
badge
6502
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
Woopsey! Seems we've been making it harder for ourselves all along.


My first few games were the same way. I started reading the PBF games here and saw someone play crystalize during a rest action. My first thought was "what?" Then I reread the rules carefully with this in mind and realized that resting could be productive in other ways.

Of course, lining things up to make this work can take resources itself.

Happy gaming!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cshelton wrote:
Floating World wrote:
Woopsey! Seems we've been making it harder for ourselves all along.


My first few games were the same way. I started reading the PBF games here and saw someone play crystalize during a rest action. My first thought was "what?" Then I reread the rules carefully with this in mind and realized that resting could be productive in other ways.

Of course, lining things up to make this work can take resources itself.

Happy gaming!


Yes, but we played over 40 games.... I'm sooo ashamed shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Keys
Australia
flag msg tools
presuming you had not done so already you could also have used the skill in the round where you were knocked out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
cshelton wrote:
Floating World wrote:
Woopsey! Seems we've been making it harder for ourselves all along.


My first few games were the same way. I started reading the PBF games here and saw someone play crystalize during a rest action. My first thought was "what?" Then I reread the rules carefully with this in mind and realized that resting could be productive in other ways.

Of course, lining things up to make this work can take resources itself.

Happy gaming!


Yes, but we played over 40 games.... I'm sooo ashamed shake


Read or start playing by PBF. There may be more rules you are doing wrong
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning D.
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bart_aus wrote:
presuming you had not done so already you could also have used the skill in the round where you were knocked out.

Is it possible to use Tovak's "feel no pain" skill *after* the battle in the same turn the battle happened? Rules say it cannot be used during a battle. The turn consists of movement + action which is the battle. So does the turn have a phase after the battle in which I can use the anility? It's because I can use the skill only once per turn and want to get rid of the 1st wound directly after the battle in the same turn and use the skill again in the next turn to discard the 2nd wound card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rollon_Stonecrusher wrote:
Bart_aus wrote:
presuming you had not done so already you could also have used the skill in the round where you were knocked out.

Is it possible to use Tovak's "feel no pain" skill *after* the battle in the same turn the battle happened? Rules say it cannot be used during a battle. The turn consists of movement + action which is the battle. So does the turn have a phase after the battle in which I can use the anility? It's because I can use the skill only once per turn and want to get rid of the 1st wound directly after the battle in the same turn and use the skill again in the next turn to discard the 2nd wound card.

Yes. Cards and abilities that can be used at any time can be used after combat. It's common to heal wounds right after the battle. So Feel No Pain can also be used after combat on the same turn.

Thanks for reviving my old post, although it's fine to create a new thread!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Shelton
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
4
badge
6502
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aliallison wrote:

Yes. Cards and abilities that can be used at any time can be used after combat. It's common to heal wounds right after the battle. So Feel No Pain can also be used after combat on the same turn.

Thanks for reviving my old post, although it's fine to create a new thread!

This is true unless the combat is on someone else's turn and you have not "fully attended." Or at least, that's my understanding.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.