Subject: Combat Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Kotzin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I want combat to not just be 'are my numbers bigger than yours.' There should be SOME way the underdog could win through strategy...but I can't think of a variant of than. Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a bit of a stretch to call what this game has combat. It kind of sounds like you want Small World into something it isn't intended to be.

I guess if you wanted to add some unpredictability, you could alter the base cost to take over a space from 2 to 1, but then also roll the die and the conquest requires that many additional tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DominionGuy wrote:
I want combat to not just be 'are my numbers bigger than yours.' There should be SOME way the underdog could win through strategy...but I can't think of a variant of than. Help?

Play Risk -- and just name your armies Ghouls, Skeletons, Wizards, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about both sides have option to buy a reinforcement die with one coin?

I wonder why the game designer added the reinforcement die in a supposed diceless game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about you have the option of picking up ALL your units from an adjacent area to add to your attacking units. Yes, that means you have to abandon possession of that space where you had those units, but it adds some tension and threat to adjacent opponents that they could be attacked by an aggressive player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.