Subject: Back in stock again at Coolstuff. This time for $89.99 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw the $25.00 price increase from yesterday to today and decided to pass on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gonzalez
United States
Fayetteville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Test
I wonder why they marked it up from yesterday. I'm still getting it but if they are selling it directly (opposed to Amazon) why the price mark up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Their standard answer is 'we sourced these from a 3rd party & had to pay a premium'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeyNine
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 word: demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gonzalez
United States
Fayetteville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Test
I would argue that the demand for the game yesterday to today hasn't changed too drastically. Why not mark them up yesterday for 89.99 instead of waiting until today? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam MacDonald
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. I saw the inventory as well and I ordered. But I thought the original retail price was about $87 to begin with. Am I off? Regardless, it's not in stock with Amazon and I'd rather not rely on an another

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joeynine wrote:

When the price goes above MSRP, I believe that word changes to: profiteering.

soln wrote:
Thanks for the update. I saw the inventory as well and I ordered. But I thought the original retail price was about $87 to begin with. Am I off? Regardless, it's not in stock with Amazon and I'd rather not rely on an another

Judging from Miniature Market, the MSRP is $79.99.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/zmg71250.html#.UsM-5_RDubM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
joeynine wrote:

soln wrote:

Simple.

If one doesn't want it at that price, dont get it.

If one is patient, the price will come down sometime in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gejayge wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
joeynine wrote:

soln wrote:

Simple.

I prefer to publicly disparage bad behavior. Might be of little use, but silence fixes nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeyNine
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
joeynine wrote:

Neither of those words are dirty, lol. The S in MSRP stands for Suggested. If it is worth more, it is worth more. Nothing wrong with making a profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Gejayge wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
joeynine wrote:

soln wrote:

Simple.

I prefer to publicly disparage bad behavior. Might be of little use, but silence fixes nothing.

Bad behavior?

How is CSI acting bad? CSI has an entire website of great products at incredibly low prices, and offers free shipping on orders over $100.

They had this on pre-order for $55 for several days leading up to it being in stock. You had a chance to get it well below MSRP, you missed it.

The publisher is the one making a shortage, not the retailer. If they sold them for $55, people would be buying up copies to flip. I would rather see CSI make the money, so they can continue to deliver a website full of great deals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Renz
msg tools
They are selling it slightly cheaper then they are selling it on amazon. 89.99 from there site or 102.99 from them on amazon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I can't resist jumping in again.

Yes CSI is being shady.
Yes I ordered RC from CSI anyway. (when it went on pre-order for 55)
Yes I got burned by CSI without realizing it on Galaxy Trucker Anniv Edition which I paid an extra 10-15 for.
Yes I've ordered from CSI numerous times since then because they had lower prices and/or MM can't keep the secondary games I want in stock.
I was going to order RC from MM but they didnt have Terra Mystica or Manhattan Project in stock, and I didn't want to pay shipping.

Why is marking up a price shady? The same way its shady when stores sell umbrellas for $5 more when its raining or shovels for $10 more when its snowing. The same way its shady to use fine print, or limited stock bait-and-switch ads or any other marketing "tactic" to get people to buy money. Its not illegal, its not immoral. its just shady.

BUT HERE IS THE REAL PROBLEM:

There has been demand for Robinson Crusoe. CSI and other retailers raise their usual prices just because they can. The remaining regular price copies at other retailers get scooped up by speculators (who have no intention of playing the game) and resold at higher prices. So now you have copies of the game sitting with speculators, and copies of the game sitting with collectors who just want a "rare" game. The customers who want to pay "usual price" still don't have the game. Demand stays high, so now that the new printing has arrived, speculators pounce on it the again resell it.

This helps nobody except the speculators. The designer isn't getting his game played by enough people. The publisher is already looking bad because of low print runs and looks worse because a good percentage of each run is getting scarfed up by speculators. CSI makes some extra money and erodes customer good will. Sure, they still get orders because they are the top-dog right now, but as soon as MM keeps better stock levels people will shift over. (or like I tell DirecTV every year - as soon as you lose the exclusive NFL package, you're gonna lose me unless you really fight to keep me) And customers either can't play the game they want, or pay extra to do so.

And if you need to know why speculation is bad. Check the baseball card industry, check the comic book industry, check the toy industry, check every other geek area that has been ruined by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well now that this is the same price as Caverna I have no excuse to get it first

CSI also happens to have another 10 copies of this on ebay for $110 a pop....

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how selling a luxury good at the market price is bad behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think this works pretty well for CSI. They are a site where sometimes you wonder how they cover costs based on their prices and loyalty discounts. Make occasional big money on a hot item, which encourages people to pre-order, which helps them in the future. Doesn't bother me at all as I can almost guarantee that within the next few months RC will be on sale below what it was even offered for on pre-order (just look at Eclipse for an example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with stevelabny here. It's poor practice. This is the exact same thing they did in August upon the initial (Z-Man) release. Except this time the prices are higher. It's not illegal but it is rather shady. No one is forced to buy from them, but that doesn't make it a good practice.

And for all those people saying "If you don't like it, don't buy it until the price comes down", well, this past week marks the first time that opportunity has been available since August.

After I got burned on my wishlist at CSI ("Wishlist" to them means you wish they'd let you know it was in stock before selling out), I bought on eBay for $70 shipped. Glad I did; this time around has been no better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they sold out quickly at the 89.99 price so I guess that's the going price at the moment. Wonder how long it will be before this becomes available again and at what price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:

You know deciding to label something a luxury doesn't change the actual reality of incompetent and harmful distribution models and speculation, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeyNine
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
honeyralmond wrote:
kirkbauer wrote:

You know deciding to label something a luxury doesn't change the actual reality of incompetent and harmful distribution models and speculation, right?

The only incompetent distribution model was when they sold their preorders at $55 considering the high demand. I wonder how much money they lost because it was priced so low. If all they sold were 50 copies in that preorder, that's $1750 they might have had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gejayge wrote:
They had this on pre-order for $55 for several days leading up to it being in stock. You had a chance to get it well below MSRP, you missed it.

I mostly agree with what you said, but not this. This game has been on my CSI wishlist for several months with a check in the box that clearly says "Email me when back in stock."

It was up for pre-order. No email.

It was in stock and available for purchase. No email.

Now that it's out of stock, there's no option to preorder. Not at $59.95, not at $89.95, not at any price--the same way it has been for months.

This is fair only if they would send out a notification that "Hey, we're anticipating getting this in stock. If you want to put in a preorder, you can do that now." I'm sorry, but I didn't get the telepathic message to go check the CSI website for preorder availability (or even ordering once in stock). So yes, I missed it...because I wasn't aware of the opportunity, despite indicating on their website that I wanted to be made aware of it. And worst of all, there's no indication why it didn't notify me or how to fix it. I'm sending them an email to look into it, but there's no obvious fix short of them looking at it from their end of the website and seeing if they can figure out why I wasn't notified.

I normally love CSI. But this is a misstep in my book by them. Not all of us passed up the preorder opportunity by turning it down. Some of us were never aware of it at all. Don't act superior by saying it was available "for several days." That's not a reasonable length of time for a large segment of the potential customer base who doesn't click refresh on the CSI Robinson Crusoe webpage every few hours or visit the RC forums here at BGG every day.

UPDATE: Post updated following answer from CSI (1/2/14):
Cory from CSI took time to write me concerning my above post and to add some important clarification. He mentioned that the policy of notifying customers when a game comes back in stock is to notify people based on the order they jumped on the "Email me when back in stock" list. I didn't get an email because more people had asked to be notified when the game was back in stock before me than they received copies to distribute. In a sense, you might say, "Well, why is that fair? Shouldn't everyone be treated equally and everyone be notified when it is back in stock?" But the opposite is a reasonable argument as well. If I signed up for the notification list 4 months ago, why should someone who signed up two days ago get a chance to respond to the notification first and grab a copy that I didn't have time to get DESPITE waiting four months?" Well, I'm not going to argue pros and cons of this policy. You could argue both ways, and it's the job of the human beings that work at CSI to make decisions that work best for the ongoing survival of their company. They have to make some calls and sales policies that are unpopular with some, and they make those choices. That's their prerogative. If I want to make my own policies, maybe I'll do the hard work to start up my own company some day (doubtful). Now it's MY prerogative where I spend my money and your prerogative where you spend yours...also open for debate, but beyond the bounds of this post.

So that explains why I didn't get notified. When I made the above post, I didn't *know* that was the policy. I'm not sure it's clear anywhere on the website that that's how the email notification system works (I didn't look too hard for that information), and that's maybe my only issue with CSI now. I wish the policy had been clearer. But now it is clear. Now I know it.

I'm adding this to amend what I said earlier, because Cory took the time to write me directly, both by personal email and here on the Geek. He wasn't rude. He wasn't condescending. He wasn't groveling. He was straightforward and courteous, and I respect that. He also gave me options for resolving my concerns, which I appreciate greatly.

The main reason I'm writing all of this is because I think it is very important that we portray our experiences with game-related businesses (as well as other users here in the community) accurately. It bothers me greatly when someone posts a comment about their one-time experience with a company and misrepresents the way they treat their customers as a whole, because it is easy to take such one-time experiences out of context. If I post about a bad experience, then quite a few people may come along, think that my one experience is somehow representative of how the company always operates, and decide to give their business to someone else. I think that really is unfair and poses a real risk of some degree of harm to said company.

This is not to say that we shouldn't post about bad experiences. We should. I know I have in the past, and I think it's important when the way I'm treated or the quality of the product I receive is so bad that I would feel bad if I DIDN'T warn off other potential customers. But if a company gives great customer service and then, when I have a bad experience, really does more than I expect to fix that experience, then that should be noted as well in the interest of full disclosure. CSI has always given me great customer service. I have altered countless preorder lists, returned items, inquired about items, etc. and they have been helpful without exception...and quick with their replies. Heck, I just got a $100 CSI gift certificate for Christmas. I have a preorder for about $150 awaiting the arrival of the Wiz War expansion. I emailed them and asked, "Can I apply the gift certificate to my preorder and get the difference back on my credit card?" Within 18 hours, they emailed me back and said "Done." Quick and without ANY fuss. I really like that.

And of course, their prices are without equal in the US in most cases. Their competitive pricing has allowed me to have leftover money for games that I might otherwise not have purchased. Nothing wrong with that.

So, bottom line, I think CSI's service is top notch (along with Boards and Bits and, as I discovered today, BoardGameBliss--who knew?). Their pricing for Robinson Crusoe and their presence on Amazon rubs some people the wrong way--that's fine. Vote with your wallet. But when Cory took the time to respectfully clarify why I did not receive an email as well as offer a remedy to the problem, I wanted to set the record straight, mostly because I really like CSI, but also because it's fair to do so.

tl;dr: I didn't get an email for Robinson Crusoe because there were others who had signed up for email notifications before me and they went down the list. Cory from CSI took time to clarify their policy and I appreciate the clarification. You can judge the fairness of the policy for yourself--I don't have a problem with it now that I know what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
Gejayge wrote:

I mostly agree with what you said, but not this. This game has been on my CSI wishlist for several months with a check in the box that clearly says "Email me when back in stock."

It was up for pre-order. No email.

It was in stock and available for purchase. No email.

Now that it's out of stock, there's no option to preorder. Not at $59.95, not at $89.95, not at any price--the same way it has been for months.

This is fair only if they would send out a notification that "Hey, we're anticipating getting this in stock. If you want to put in a preorder, you can do that now." I'm sorry, but I didn't get the telepathic message to go check the CSI website for preorder availability (or even ordering once in stock). So yes, I missed it...because I wasn't aware of the opportunity, despite indicating on their website that I wanted to be made aware of it. And worst of all, there's no indication why it didn't notify me or how to fix it. I'm sending them an email to look into it, but there's no obvious fix short of them looking at it from their end of the website and seeing if they can figure out why I wasn't notified.

I normally love CSI. But this is a misstep in my book by them. Not all of us passed up the preorder opportunity by turning it down. Some of us were never aware of it at all. Don't act superior by saying it was available "for several days." That's not a reasonable length of time for a large segment of the potential customer base who doesn't click refresh on the CSI Robinson Crusoe webpage every few hours or visit the RC forums here at BGG every day.

I can understand your frustration with the lack of email when it came in stock. That is a completely legitimate complaint.

That being said, I have never gotten an email that something was available for pre-order. They don't do that. It is an email for when it is in stock, not available to pre-order.

Also, when I have gotten emails from them about something coming back into stock, it is usually several hours after it appears on their website. This sold out in less than an hour. They may have skipped the email because the copies were already gone by the time they could have sent it out.

All I can really say was that it was available for a few days, so you did have your chance. Even just pulling the page up once a day would have given you a shot to pre-order it. If you want one of these limited print run high demand games, it is simply what you have to do. If you can't do that, then you can pay a premium for a copy available elsewhere online.

I fell into the exact same category as you on this, but with Terra Mystica, so I can feel your pain. Life goes on, enjoy the games you have.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure CSI's notification email is sent out at the end of the day. So if the item is never in stock for a full day, you'll never get notified. The system doesn't seem to count pre-orders as "in stock".

That's a "lazy computer thing" more than a "shady thing" to me.

I'm also pretty sure that the only reason CSI had pre-orders listed at the discounted price is because MM was selling the game at that price. MM sold out quickly, and I think it was the next day that CSI stopped taking pre-orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
I'm pretty sure CSI's notification email is sent out at the end of the day. So if the item is never in stock for a full day, you'll never get notified. The system doesn't seem to count pre-orders as "in stock".

That's a "lazy computer thing" more than a "shady thing" to me.

I'm also pretty sure that the only reason CSI had pre-orders listed at the discounted price is because MM was selling the game at that price. MM sold out quickly, and I think it was the next day that CSI stopped taking pre-orders.

the system also doesn't count the inflated copies they have on ebay as in stock either ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Z man sucks thats the problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.