Subject: Enthusiastic newb seeks 4 player PBF or PBEM game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I picked this gem up at WBC 2013 and haven't yet had a chance to play against experienced opponents. Does anyone want to start up a game with Vassal? I'll take any faction though I should probably leave the government to others until I get more experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing one pbem game (as Cartel) and think I can commit to another game. Prefer to play regular pbem and not by forum. I'll play any faction except Cartel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Awesome. We just need 2 more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played, copy on the way and never used Vassal. I'm a quick learner so I could join if you are ok with me learning as we go and differing time zones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Great, then we just need one more. Here's a link to the rules if you haven't seen them yet. http://www.gmtgames.com/p-337-andean-abyss.aspx

And Vassal
http://www.vassalengine.org/

And the AA Vassal module
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Andean_Abyss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game but have only played it once (solo), have never used Vassal before, and could probably only do max 1 move a day. If everyone's ok with the above... I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubercat wrote:
Great, then we just need one more. Here's a link to the rules if you haven't seen them yet. http://www.gmtgames.com/p-337-andean-abyss.aspx

And Vassal
http://www.vassalengine.org/

And the AA Vassal module
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Andean_Abyss

Ive read the rules already but would request a lighter faction for first time. AUC or Cartel.

Any specific way we would play this. Number of turns per time period, and would we use Dropbox to share files. And should all discussion be in the open?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also would like a lighter faction.

KronikAlkoholik wrote:
Any specific way we would play this. Number of turns per time period, and would we use Dropbox to share files. And should all discussion be in the open?

Dropbox and geekmail/email seem easiest. And I think open discussion is key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
OK, we have 4 people. Not as many experienced players as I'd hoped for (to learn from)but we 3 newbs can learn together. I'd say that Tom should be the government and Ingolfur and Adam should take AUC and the Cartels in whatever order they want. I'm assuming that the FARC are the 2nd most complex faction so I can take them. Sound good?

Tom, how does the PBEM work? I'm guessing that each player starts a logfile when taking their turn and saves it when they're done. Then they put it on Dropbox so the other players can run it and the next player up does the same thing, and so on. Or the current player Emails it to the others. Either way, we can enter text while we're taking our turn to explain what we're doing.

I agree that all diplomacy should probably be above board, as it would have to be in a F2F game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
BTW for those who don't yet have the game, when you load it up in Vassal, the player aid charts are available from the menu bar. I don't think these are on GMT's website and they make a great reference of what each faction can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take the AUC (Take up arms against the communist threat in Colombia). I'm on GMT timezone so I'll be up and ready in like 7 hours. I was trying to familiarize myself with the Vassal engine earlier. I got most of it and the rules (some cards I might have to ask to be sure), tactics and strategy is something I guess I will have to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how to make a log file:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Log_file

I think we should just use this forum (or email, I suppose) to a) update everyone on what we did during our turn and who's next eligible, and b) wheeling and dealing.

Who's creating the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Tom, are you cool with playing the Government?

We need to share our Emails with each other so I'm going to go ahead and PM all of you with mine.

I'm in US Eastern time zone, 5 hours earlier than GMT. I have to work from 11:30AM - 8PM tomorrow as well as similar shifts Saturday, Sunday and Monday. My short term availability will be limited by that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubercat wrote:
Tom, are you cool with playing the Government?

We need to share our Emails with each other so I'm going to go ahead and PM all of you with mine.

I'm in US Eastern time zone, 5 hours earlier than GMT. I have to work from 11:30AM - 8PM tomorrow as well as similar shifts Saturday, Sunday and Monday. My short term availability will be limited by that.

If there is any issue I guess I'm comfortable with any faction, I'm just scared I might not be effective as a bigger one but we are mostly newbies so I guess that goes for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have created a game and set up a Dropbox folder. Tom (government) is first eligible; just need his email. Good luck everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abhollan wrote:
I have created a game and set up a Dropbox folder. Tom (government) is first eligible; just need his email. Good luck everyone.

Ok already joined the Dropbox folder, however when I open up the logfile (created a copy to mess around with) there is no deck prepared. Am I doing something wrong?

What are the two first cards?

EDIT: nm, I of course need to step through the logfile to get the actions, sorry about that.

First card: Madrid Donors - Gov, Cartel, AUC, FARC
Upcoming: Castaño - AUC, Cartel, FARC, Gov

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should we keep some sort of naming convention and keep all files instead of overwriting. Perhaps a turn order + the next eligible faction. So gov would play and then save it as "2 - Cartel" or something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I proposed a naming convention in my email, although whatever works for everyone is fine by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have to clear Tom as MIA or do we just wait patiently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just GMed him. Let's give him another day or so; he may be busy at post-holiday work or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Back from holiday travel. Sent out a message or two and found the original thread. I'm okay playing Government. I do my turns every 1-2 days so hopefully that rate of play is sufficient. I'm normally not on bgg every day so standard non-bgg email is the best way to reach me: tomsgamer17111 at verizon dot com ; I will also need a link to the DropBox folder.

I'm currently playing one pbem game of AA. The convention we've used for log files is this (let me know if this works for everybody):

AA-001-Gov

Game name / Turn # / Faction (3 or 4 letter abbreviation - AUK Cart FARC Gov).

It appears that the file extension can be either .vlog or .zip. Mine are usually vlogs. THe turn 1 is not the card number. Each person adds 1 to the previous turn's file. This would allow for total reconstruction of the game and indicates the order in which each file would be played.

I saw the Madrid Donors card posted here as the first card so I should be able to do my turn in short order once I have the DropBox and note everybody's email addresses. I'll attach the vlog file to my email and post it to DropBox as well.

All the best,
Tom Swider

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Tom

Your email is bouncing. Is it tomsgamer17111?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as I have toms email I'll add him to the Dropbox. I'll change to his convention for naming files as well to avoid confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.