Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raven Zachary
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there. I am playing a PBeM game of Empires in Arms and there are times when we need to do simultaneous reveal of orders. Sometimes all seven players at once, sometimes just two players at once.

Is there a web tool that will collect orders from a set of players and then send the results out once everyone has submitted?

This would be a huge help. Right now, we are appointing the player least involved to collect orders/votes and send the results. We'd prefer to have a neutral system handle this for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Senger
United States
Bellefontaine Neighbors
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's not, it's a good idea. I'm sure there are online clients that will send a message at a pre-determined time, but wouldn't take into account to send it sooner if others have made their moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ravenme wrote:
Hi there. I am playing a PBeM game of Empires in Arms and there are times when we need to do simultaneous reveal of orders. Sometimes all seven players at once, sometimes just two players at once.

Is there a web tool that will collect orders from a set of players and then send the results out once everyone has submitted?

This would be a huge help. Right now, we are appointing the player least involved to collect orders/votes and send the results. We'd prefer to have a neutral system handle this for us.

If you don't find anything then let me know and I will add it to PBEMbid.com, after all it's just a variant on an auction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Zachary
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Still nothing, and this is a service that is definitely needed. It would be fantastic if you added this.

Here's what we'd need:

* Add users via email addresses (or account on the site with associated email addresses).

* Create a game with associated players / accounts for future voting/orders/bidding/etc. Ability to name those players by role (e.g. Austria, England, etc.).

* Add a "vote" (or an order, not sure what the right nomenclature should be). This can be a text field - nice and simple for now. In the future, you could do a form builder similar to a survey. Whoever creates the order selects which players are required to participate, and which players receive the results (by default, all players in the game, including those who are not voting, receive the results).

* Vote is emailed out with either the ability to vote via email reply or via a link. Link will likely be easier to start.

* Ideally, you could do reminder emails to non-voting participants daily.

* When all votes have been collected from the required players, the results are emailed out automatically.

* History of all votes available for the game on the site.

Thanks! : )

scopa wrote:
ravenme wrote:

If you don't find anything then let me know and I will add it to PBEMbid.com, after all it's just a variant on an auction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Zachary
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An important point I forgot to mention - no one, including the person who created the vote, should be allowed to see the results of anyone else until all required voters have submitted their votes.

A voter should only be able to see their own vote, and should be allowed to change it up until the point when all votes were collected and the results were sent out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ravenme wrote:
An important point I forgot to mention - no one, including the person who created the vote, should be allowed to see the results of anyone else until all required voters have submitted their votes.

A voter should only be able to see their own vote, and should be allowed to change it up until the point when all votes were collected and the results were sent out.

I'll send a geekmail to continue this discussion.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter OHara
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A long time ago, like back in 98 or something, there was an online tool for games with a secret order function called "Sealed Virtual Envelopes" or something of that nature. I wish I had more useful information, but I don't remember ever using it. The web page is still up, though, and located here: http://www.furniss.co.uk/sve/

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm sending this thread to Avin, who is on the Cassandra Project team (that's a web tool used for PBF Werewolf here on BGG) and has his own Helenus Project - which is similar, fairly open-ended, and could possibly do what you are looking for; it is occasionally used in our PBF games.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
LudesFactor wrote:

I'm sending this thread to Avin, who is on the Cassandra Project team (that's a web tool used for PBF Werewolf here on BGG) and has his own Helenus Project - which is similar, fairly open-ended, and could possibly do what you are looking for; it is occasionally used in our PBF games.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Well its input and output is currently tied to BGG forums or Cassandra Project chatrooms (for private inputs). It wouldn't be a huge stretch to give it an email or even geekmail enhancement, but given that it may actually just be simpler to write something dedicated for this purpose, I'm not sure that's worthwhile. Sorry, but if you are interested in signing up for Cassandra Project (some details here on how we play Play By Forum Werewolf) that's probably the only way this would easily work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.