Subject: First vs Revised Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
redOne El Big Daddy
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

As i ve had the opportunity to play both versions, i really liked the 3D shapes representing the mountains in the first version. Now i have the option to buy one of both versions at our local game shop.

Can someone tell me, briefly, why i shouldn't buy me the first edition, neglecting the big box disadvantage off course.

Many thanks in advance

The RedOne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I actually like big boxes. Gives me plenty of room for organizing components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely go for the big box version. The gameplay is pretty much the same; there is a document you can download online that describes the changes to the game, but the vast majority of the rules and mechanics are exactly the same (just a few minor points, although the changed victory condition and setup does change things a little more dramatically).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Following reasons I can see to pass on the first edition:
- Big box is not for everyone. Some just don't have the space for them.
- The expansion and possible future expansions won't have 3D mountains. So you'll have some mountain terrains with 3D mountains and some without.
- Also, in case of future expansions, new races will probably not get thick cardboard as race sheets. So there will be no uniformity. (Though there is no gameplay interferences)
- Maybe the biggest issue: The revised edition has changed rules already printed on cards and cardboard. Like the hero movement on order cards or the changed Latari-elves ability.

Thats all just for information. I would always go for the First Edition. Component quality is just better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Weren't there also some typos on the newer edition that needed to be corrected? Thought I read that somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
Weren't there also some typos on the newer edition that needed to be corrected? Thought I read that somewhere.

I actually had not heard this. If any one can confirm that would be great.

Because of many of the reasons listed here, (card thickness uniformity, expansion uniformity, corrections on the cards) I would suggest going with the Revised Edition. Personally, I love the big box and I regret that the Revised Edition did not come with one. If you choose to store your pieces in Planos than you will love the big box, given you have the room for it. But I use Planos despite the smaller box and just keep the pieces separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
redOne El Big Daddy
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this vital information which has influenced my choice rather intuitively. One voice said: Oh the first edition still available (mountains), go get it. Another voice: Maybe the revised edition is not that bad a choice after all. But the advantages of the 3D mountains can never outweigh the issues addressed by Mark Bauer.

Revised Edition it will be

Thanks again,

Beware The RedOne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I'm a little late to chime in.

I have the revised edition. I'm sad to see the mountains go, but I'm okay with it because Banners of War, the expansion, doesn't have mountains. The one thing that bugs me is the flimsy faction sheets. Over the holidays I had a family member grab it with his thumb in the middle and I saw the whole thing bend horribly. I wish they kept punch board for the faction sheets.

Also, it's hard to fit the expansion in the same box as the revised edition. I'm managing, but it's tight. When I paint my figures, I'm going to want them spread out more, so I'll probably get a large tackle box or something to store the game in.

Still, it's a great game either way, and you'll love it no matter which version you go with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the faction sheets of the revised edition match in quality those to the Banners of War expansion? (I mean the additional unit pictures that You put beside Your faction sheet)
Or are in the Banners of War still thicker cardboard?

Is there a revised edition of the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horlaci wrote:
Do the faction sheets of the revised edition match in quality those to the Banners of War expansion? (I mean the additional unit pictures that You put beside Your faction sheet)
Or are in the Banners of War still thicker cardboard?

No, the additional units sheets in Banners of War are printed on thick cardboard and match the quality of the first edition. The Revised edition of Runewars however comes with faction sheets printed on ... thick paper... like the ones that come with Civilization or Starcraft... or like every other FFG like the investigator sheets of Eldritch Horror or Character sheets of Descent.

horlaci wrote:
Is there a revised edition of the expansion?

No, there isn't. (well, afaik)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.