No Retreat! The North African Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Failed Offensives & Map Control rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if the initiative player failed to take two enemy-controlled cities, he loses iniative, and the current turn is replayed, skipping the housekeeping and strategic phases. Does that mean that the turn is replayed on the same map (as the map control check segment is in the housekeeping phase)?

Here's a specific scenario. So the Germans have the initiative and control of map 3. The Allied player plays a card during the strategic phase to seize the initiative. The Allied player has no intention of attacking, and just runs his units off the map during his first turn. The Allied offensive having failed, the German player has initiative and launches an offensive. This offensive will be on map 3; the German player cannot launch an offensive on map 2, even though he completely controlled map 3 at the conclusion of the Allied player's offensive, because map control is not checked until the housekeeping phase, which is skipped when a player's offensive fails and the game turn is replayed. Is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmp120 wrote:
I'm not entirely positive on this as I've only played one game myself but I believe when you declare an offensive, it's always on the map that your opponent's control marker is on in the Strategic Map Control Display. I assume in your situation, the Axis counter is on Map 3 and the Allied counter is on Map 4. So when you replay the turn, and the Axis declare an Offensive it would be on Map 4.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
jmp120 wrote:
I'm not entirely positive on this as I've only played one game myself but I believe when you declare an offensive, it's always on the map that your opponent's control marker is on in the Strategic Map Control Display. I assume in your situation, the Axis counter is on Map 3 and the Allied counter is on Map 4. So when you replay the turn, and the Axis declare an Offensive it would be on Map 4.

This is correct.

I think the OP is describing a Contested Map situation. The Allies have used a card to seize init and have retreated the Allied square counters off of contested Map 3 to Allied Map 4.

Because the Allies have lost control of contested Map 3, i believe the turn would end normally with the Axis becoming the new init player and taking control of Map 3 as per [15.2.1].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, still a learner myself. The only two areas i'm murky on are Abortive Offensives and Repeating turns (either because of card play or Abortive Offensives)

Some VPG terminology seems to have carried over (Strategic Planning Phase?) and the Abortive Offensive rules need to specify which Housekeeping Phase to skip.

Do you need to "capture" two enemy cities, or "capture and hold" two enemy cities? Big difference.

When you re-draw cards because of an event card that "Replays Turn" do you also get to refresh SPs?

If a player A invades map2 from map3 and fails to capture 2 cities, what happens to his pieces that are still on map2? (square units, forts). The rules imply that player B can take init and replay the turn and attack map3.

I really like NR2 a lot! I'm sure i'll iron this stuff out, but for now i'm not too crazy about replaying turns.

Other than that, i don't just think NR2 is the best wargame i've played in a while, i think it's the best game i've played in a while period!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:

Do you need to "capture" two enemy cities, or "capture and hold" two enemy cities? Big difference.

You need to have captured (and hold) two towns at the end of the turn.

Cracky wrote:

When you re-draw cards because of an event card that "Replays Turn" do you also get to refresh SPs?

As the rules say, you skip the Housekeeping and Strategic phases, so you do not draw Supply Points.

Cracky wrote:

If a player A invades map2 from map3 and fails to capture 2 cities, what happens to his pieces that are still on map2? (square units, forts). The rules imply that player B can take init and replay the turn and attack map3.

The Attack is on map 2 as this is the contested map. if the original a tracker did not hold any towns on map 2, then the offensive would go on map 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.