Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Previously, on the adventures of four typical adventurers...

"Welcome to Thistletop," read the old, time-beaten sign. "Population: 30." It has been ages since anyone has inhabited Thistletop, but the sense of evil and the stench of goblins make it clear that this is where the true evil lies. The adventurers are beaten, battered, bruised,... but not broken. With caution and courage, they storm the old keep.

Here's what our adventurers are carrying:

VALEROS (Strength +1, Charisma +1, Assist +1)
1x Bastard Sword +1
1x Dogslicer
1x Returning Throwing Axe +1
1x Short Sword +1
1x Starknife
1x Chain Mail
1x Elven Breastplate
1x Shield of Fire Resistance
1x Codex
1x Mattock
1x Sage
1x Sheriff Hemlock
1x Blessing of Gorum
2x Blessing of the Gods

MERISIEL (Dexterity +1, Wisdom +1, Backstab +1)
1x Dagger +1
1x Heavy Crossbow
1x Leather Armor (ran out of armor, so went back to this)
1x Bracers of Protection
1x Caltrops
1x Codex
1x Crowbar
1x Masterwork Tools
1x Tome of Knowledge
1x Shalelu Andosana
1x Troubadour
1x Blessing of Calistria
1x Blessing of Erastil
2x Blessing of the Gods

EZREN (Intelligence +1, Constitution +1, Recharge +1)
1x Dagger +1
2x Acid Arrow
1x Augury
1x Charm Person
1x Force Missile
2x Lightning Touch
1x Strength
1x Amulet of Life
1x Crowbar
1x Token of Remembrance
1x Crow
1x Cyrdak Drokkus
1x Toad

KYRA (Wisdom +1, Strength +1, Heal +1)
1x Dogslicer +1
1x Flaming Mace +1
1x Cure
1x Holy Light
1x Inflict
1x Magic Half-Plate
1x Wooden Shield
1x Token of Remembrance
1x Father Zantus
1x Blessing of Iomedae
1x Blessing of Irori
1x Blessing of Pharasma
1x Blessing of Shelyn
2x Blessing of the Gods

VILLAIN and NAMED HENCHMEN KILLS:
Valeros: 4 (Black Fang, Tsuto Kaijitsu, Ripnugget, Koruvus)
Merisiel: 1 (Pillbug Podikur)
Ezren: 4 (Jubrayl Vishki, Erylium, Bruthazmus, Gogmurt)
Kyra: 2 (Stickfoot, Tangletooth)

1. Ezren finds himself in the Thassilonian Dungeon. He casts Charm Person to get the help of a Guide. (The top card of his deck is an Acid Arrow, which he takes.) Ezren then casts an Augury for spells, and finds a spell of Mending, an Amulet of Fortitude, and an Ambush waiting for him. (He fails the recharge check with a natural 1; the top card is a Token of Remembrance, which I could draw from the location ability, but opt not to.) Ezren proceeds to go after the Mending spell, which he learns easily. However, the Ambush catches up to Ezren... and he is now face to face against a Giant Gecko. The surprise attack catches him badly, causing his Acid Arrow to go wide (1 + 2 + 3 + 1 Intellgence + 2 Arcane - 3 Ambush... two damage which knocks off the Crowbar and Mending. At least Ezren passes the recharge check.) The gecko proceeds to disappear into what looks like a Goblin Fortress.

2. Kyra explores the Deeper Dungeons, and accidentally kicks a Potion of Healing. (Before I realize that the scenario ability makes this check impossible, I roll a natural 1. It appears that I will never get to acquire a Potion of Healing.) She uses the Blessing of the Gods to ignore this setback and move deeper into the dungeons, and finds a scroll of Scorching Ray. Knowing how much Ezren wants this spell, she prays (discarding a Blessing of Pharasma) and manages to get the scroll. (Double 3s... just enough.)

3. Valeros finds a defective Wand of Force Missile used to bar the door to a Goblin Fortress. He tosses the thing aside and enters.

4. Merisiel sneaks her way into the Throne Room at Thistletop, and her entry knocks over a bottle of Holy Water. (Prior to this, she recharges her Crowbar for the location ability, and gets a Heavy Crossbow.)

5. Ezren finds the Amulet of Fortitude stuck in a tight crevice on the wall. Even with the Crow, they only push the amulet deeper in. (It was worth a try, but I end up rolling 1 + 2 + 1 Constitution.) The Guide screams as she finds an Attic Whisperer descending from the attic. The creature manages to stun Ezren for a second, (Rolled a 2, which means I drop the Token of Remembrance.) but he manages to melt the undead creature with an Acid Arrow. (3 + 3 + 4 + modifiers. He also makes the recharge.)

6. (At this point, I realize that I should not have discarded Scorching Ray when resetting my hand, as I could have gone to Ezren now and heal him at the same time.) Kyra delves deeper, and finds a Quarterstaff. She picks it up with ease, (natural 6) then casts Cure on herself. (4 + 1, which reshuffles the entire discard pile. I discard the Quarterstaff on reset, and get the Token of Remembrance.)

7. Valeros finds himself in a Trapped Passageway! (I choose not to use Merisiel's Blessing of Erastil, as it is the only blessing on board at the moment.) The trap springs, and would have hurt Valeros a lot (2 + 4) if not for the Chain Mail he has on.

8. Merisiel also comes across a scroll of Scorching Ray, but she has no way of deciphering it. The Troubadour with her sings a tune, which catches the attention of a captive Shopkeeper's Daughter. It takes the team quite a while to let her free... and a lot of convincing that she cannot join them.

9. Ezren learns the secrets of Invisibility. Suddenly, the Toad croaks furiously, warning Ezren of the approach of a Goblin Raider. which he blasts with Lightning Touch. (1 + 4 + 5 + modifiers. He passes the recharge check, and he gets Force Missile from the top of his deck.) He barely makes his way out of the Thassilonian Dungeon. (With modifiers, I needed a 4... and get just that.)

10. A Slashing Blade swings down on Kyra, and the thing that saves her life is Magic Half Plate. (These traps are insidious; I rolled a natural 4 for this one.)

11. Valeros feels a painful bite from a Goblin Snake. (Thankfully, not a goblin.) He slices it up with the Dogslicer. (1 + 8 + modifiers... does that make this weapon a Snakeslicer?)

12. Merisiel evades a Ghost patrolling the way to the dais. (At this point, it is time to move the adventurers around...)

13. Ezren escapes the dungeon and finds himself in the Throne Room. Seated on the throne is a wizard who calls herself Lyrie Akenia. Unsportingly, she blasts Ezren with a fire bolt to the face. (4 -1 Damage, which the Amulet of Life absorbs. I make the recharge check.) Ezren retaliates with a Force Missile, and so ends the reign of Lyrie Akenia. (1 + 1 + 9 + modifiers.) Even though Merisiel prays for Ezren, (discarding Blessing of the Gods) the Throne Room is still a danger zone.

14. Kyra comes face to face against a Goblin Warchanter. Though it catches her by surprise with mystical mumbo-jumbo, Ezren simply casts Strength on Kyra, (passes the recharge check) who simply walks up to the warchanter and punches it out. (3 + 1 Strength + 2 Melee + Strength spell - 1 Location... right to the dot.)

15. Remembering the layout of the previous fortress, Valeros runs all the way to the top office, and finds a Goblin Raider furiously issuing orders. He throws his Starknife at it before cleaving the goblin with the Dogslicer. (2 + 3 + 6 + modifiers.) Another Goblin Raider suddenly appears, but Valeros has the Dogslicer ready and bisects the leaping goblin. (4 + 6 + 6 + modifiers.) Valeros picks up a Battleaxe on the way out. (No other weapons; rolled a natural 1 for the location reward.)

16. Merisiel finds a passageway that leads to the Warrens, and finds a Dagger on the way down. (Natural 5.)

17. Ezren finds a passageway that leads to the Temple. (Discard Invisibility) He finds a Goblin Raider about to desecrate it, and ends it with an Acid Arrow to the chest. (1 + 1 + 10 + modifiers. He does fail the recharge with a natural 1.)

18. In the Deeper Dungeons, Kyra finds the villain: the adventurer Nualia. She blasts Kyra with a force attack. (Rolled a 2, which knocks out her Wooden Shield and Token of Remembrance.) Kyra catches the villain off guard by charging with her Dogslicer +1, (1 + 3 + 6 + 1 Strength + 2 Melee + 1 Magic, and the 1 changes to a 3.) then shining Holy Light on her. (4 + 4 + 10 + modifiers. She misses the recharge check with a natural 2.) However, Nualia manages to escape this onslaught. (I forgot to try and temporarily close the Warrens, which would've narrowed it down to just the Throne Room. Oops.)

19. Valeros runs to the Throne Room, and finds himself facing a Skeleton. He splits the bones in twain with an overarcing swing from the Battleaxe. (2 + 7 + 7 + modifiers.)

20. Merisiel catches a glimpse of a creature headed for the Throne Room, but is stopped by a Goblin Snake. (Natural 5 versus a check of 6... boo.) She throws a Dagger at it before firing a bolt from her Heavy Crossbow. (3 + 8 + 10 + 1 Dexterity.)

21 Ezren returns to the Throne Room, and finds a Rat Swarm rushing towards him. He fries the rats by casting Lightning Touch on the wet floor that the rats were running over. (2 + 3 + 12 + modifiers, and I recharge the spell as a bonus.)

22. Kyra goes to the Throne Room, and uses the Blessing of Shelyn as a focus to heal Ezren. (2 + 2... not bad.) The Blessing of Iomedae allows Kyra to explore further, which reveals a depleted Wand of Shield.

23. Valeros comes across a suit of Chain Mail, which he acquires with a natural 6. Exploring further (discarding Blessing of the Gods) reveals a Mace, which he also swipes.

24. Merisiel meets a Sage, but she can only convince her to leave the Warrens. (Natural 5 versus a check of 6. I knew the odds were bad, but why so close?) The Blessing of Erastil lets her delve further to find a Soldier, who she sends after the sage. (Natural 4 this time... I probably should stop complaining.)

25. Ezren meets the Shopkeeper's Daughter. Kyra whispers some advice to Ezren (discarding Blessing of Irori) that helps him convince the girl that their fan club would be much safer back at Sandpoint. (2 + 8.) Ezren then finds out that the daughter is just Nualia in disguise! She suddenly blasts the trio with a massive force wave. (2 to Ezren, knocking out Cyrdak Drokkus and Dagger +1. 2 to Kyra, which knocks out Father Zantus and a Scorching Ray. 3 to Valeros, which destroys his Chain Mail.) The good news is that Merisiel passes the temporary close check on the Warrens with a natural 12. (Time is running out, so no forgetting this time...)

Valeros breaks through Nualia's mystic defenses by swinging hard with his Bastard Sword +1. (2 + 4 + 8 + modifiers.) Kyra bestows the Blessing of Pharasma on Ezren, which powers up Nualia a little, but as for Ezren's Acid Arrow...

1 + 2 + 4 + 10 + 10 + modifiers! You can almost see the bone structure of Nualia before it liquifies... Meanwhile, Orik Vancaskerin walks away from the Warrens unscathed. He's quite the lucky one. (Sadly for me, he's also the one I wanted to encounter the most. Goodbye, free boon.)

The adventurers fish out a medallion from what's left of the charred corpse of Nualia. Little do the adventurers know that this treasure is only the beginning of their troubles...

With this, the story of Burnt Offerings is now at its end. However, this is only just the beginning of Rise of the Runelords, and our brave adventurers have much more to face. How will things continue to fare for them? Stay tuned...

Also, happy new year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice session report with some rp thrown in, I like it. Thank you for the session and happy new year to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great read as always!

But I think I caught an error on point 11. Valeros seemed to have rolled a 1 using his Dogslicer, meaning that it would have counted as a 3, but you would have to discard it afterward. He then wouldn't have it on hand to fight the Globlin Raider later on. Not a big deal, I think he had other weapons on him at that point but just something to keep in mind!

Happy New Year as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Z
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goodshepherd wrote:
two damage which knocks off the Crowbar and Mending. At least Ezren passes the recharge check.

"You cannot recharge a card you are forced to discard, or one that you choose to discard as part of taking damage or resetting your hand at the end of your turn."

Sorry, just caught that in reading your write up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fecktor wrote:
Great read as always!

But I think I caught an error on point 11. Valeros seemed to have rolled a 1 using his Dogslicer, meaning that it would have counted as a 3, but you would have to discard it afterward (or recharge it, because of Valeros' power). He then wouldn't have it on hand to fight the Globlin Raider later on. Not a big deal, I think he had other weapons on him at that point but just something to keep in mind!

Happy New Year as well!

Yes, that sounds like a major goof, but one that I don't think I can retcon this late. I'm not sure I have another weapon on hand at that time or not, but I guess I'll have to live with this mistake. In an RPG, this would be called the DM intervening.

jzwink wrote:
goodshepherd wrote:
two damage which knocks off the Crowbar and Mending. At least Ezren passes the recharge check.

"You cannot recharge a card you are forced to discard, or one that you choose to discard as part of taking damage or resetting your hand at the end of your turn."

Sorry, just caught that in reading your write up.

I was referring to the recharge check of Acid Arrow. I probably should word this kind of sentence clearer next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.