United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the spear is 2 handed. Under shield it says "cannot use if you have used a 2 handed weapon" but under the spear it doesn't say "cannot use if you have used a shield."

So can you use a shield to block a pre-combat roll (where you take damage) and the stab it with the spear? (Imagine blocking a dragon's breath with the shield, dropping it and thrusting with the spear).

Can you also do that and still block with another armor since the shield was pre-combat?

Could you block with a shield both pre- and during if you use a Longsword?

Or can you not even use armor/shield to block a pre-attack hit from a card effect?

Oh and what about a barrier? An explosive barrier blows up for 2 damage, can I block it with my magic shield (which I don't discard, I just reveal)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the card in front of me, but if it works like any other armor, the shield only blocks combat damage. Can you give a situation where you take combat damage pre-combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the scout does 1d4-1 ranged combat damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TL;DR: The shield can be used to prevent Combat Damage taken before the encounter, and then a two-handed weapon can be used for a check during the encounter.

As the designers have mentioned before, cards and events have no memory of past events unless they say otherwise.

That being said (and it's only partially related), the before the encounter damage is a separate step from the check, so any armors/weapons/spells/otherwise that are used during that step are forgotten for the actual Check step of the encounter. And anything used during the Check step of the encounter are forgotten when dealing with anything after the encounter (unless otherwise stated).

Because the shield says "If you played ... on this check ..." and not "If you played ... during this explore ...," then it is viable to use it before the encounter, during the check if a two-handed weapon isn't used, and after the encounter (even if a two-handed weapon was used during a check for the encounter).

Also note that if an encounter has two combat checks with a "Then," that even if you use a two-handed weapon during the first check, if you don't use a two-handed weapon during the second check, then you can use the shield to soak up damage taken after failing the second check (but not the first, since a two-handed weapon was used during that check).

Even if it was connected, then the above kicks in first. The shield can be played first because a two-handed weapon hasn't been used (yet), and then a two-handed weapon can be used because it's not limited. However, a shield couldn't be played afterward if it says it can't be used if a two-handed weapon was used during the check. (It also couldn't be used since another armor card had already been played during the check unless one is proficient with light armors, but there may come a point in which an armor says it can be used even if another armor was used in general).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:
So the spear is 2 handed. Under shield it says "cannot use if you have used a 2 handed weapon" but under the spear it doesn't say "cannot use if you have used a shield."

So can you use a shield to block a pre-combat roll (where you take damage) and the stab it with the spear? (Imagine blocking a dragon's breath with the shield, dropping it and thrusting with the spear).

Can you also do that and still block with another armor since the shield was pre-combat?

Could you block with a shield both pre- and during if you use a Longsword?

Or can you not even use armor/shield to block a pre-attack hit from a card effect?

Oh and what about a barrier? An explosive barrier blows up for 2 damage, can I block it with my magic shield (which I don't discard, I just reveal)?

You should take everything the card says literally.

Philosophically:
The Shield cards are a limited subset of a limited subset of cards: those that kick in only when something bad happens. They are designed to be as useful as possible within that limited subset of events. So each time you take damage, your shield card wants to know if it can help. The Shield doesn't have a memory; if it helped earlier, it doesn't know it.

Your basic Wooden Shield card says in response to the Scout, "Did you get hit before the encounter with Combat damage? Then I can help. Am I still here? Good to know. Oh, did you get hit again with Combat damage after a failed combat check? Then I can help. But wait! Did you fail that check while using a Glaive? Then it turns out I can't help. Sorry about that."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And then you promptly get fitted for a straightjacket because inanimate objects can't talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In Pathfinder, they probably can...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
In Pathfinder, they probably can...
Ah, intelligent items, how I love thee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.