Recommend
31 
 Thumb up
 Hide
97 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Carrier» Forums » Variants

Subject: iPad version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello,

First of all, happy new year, lots if happiness with your family and your games !

Now, I have designed an iPad historical wargame which Carrie rplayers would love

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UPDATE : link to the game on the app Store
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carrier-battles-for-guadalca...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Who knows how to contact Jon Southard ?

Who want to test a first beta ?
You need an iPad with iOS7 and a light experience in wargaming but you don't have to any knowledge about the original game
Please register here with your iPad


The game keeps the spirit of Carrier and oldschool wargames while taking less time, less place.

I will post more details later

Cyril
17 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds cool...unfortunately I do not have an iPad but Android. Perhaps you can record a youtube video?

Happy New Year,
Marco
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyril,

That is AWESOME!

I would gladly volunteer (I own and have played the game quite a bit recently) but unfortunately I currently own an iPad 1 so there is no chance for me to run iOs 7 =(

But if there is anything I can help with, just shoot me a message!

And have a great 2014!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Cyril

I would like to participate but I have an android tablet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Edwards
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Publisher of cricket board game mindencricket.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Count me in ... I have both the game (board) and an iPad...will register.

:-)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I have registered and look forward to trying this out.

-Phil
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, I got à lot of candidates, enough to get relevant feedback
Unfortunately, the number of beta testers are limited by Apple and I do not want to be flooded by bugs, questions and ideas :-)

Hence, let's start like this and we will see
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Antón
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just subscribed to this thread to see how your project evolves!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some screenshots after deadly air attacks from both sides

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyril,

A couple of points:

1) I hope you do not mind I cross-posted this thread over on Consimworld, just so more people are aware of your effort.

2) Could you elaborate a bit more on one of your points above, i.e. that losses are taken randomly after CAP and AA? Do you mean that it could happen that all losses fall on the Bombers and Torpedo Planes?
Also, while I like almost all of the changes you are presenting, my feeling reading them is that it will make things harder for the US (and the game is already tough as it is...).
As usual, just my two cents and please consider that the above is for the purpose of discussion only and not meant in any way to either attack you or your work, which I think deserves all support possible!

Nice screen shots, BTW! Please keep them coming especially for us not lucky enough to have the right machine to play atm.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very interesting subject. I'm a Carrier fan, but I haven't ipad only an iphone but with 6.2 ios.

I don't know whether you know it, but 1-2 years ago I made together a friend a complete redesign and translate into Spanish language of Carrier components (counters, mapboard....).

Whether you are interested you can use our update game components. You can find some images at this discussion forum: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/762582/updating-carrier-...

Best regards and good luck with this project!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I have downloaded the current version and it looks really good. I will begin playing tonight. I really hope you can get this published!

-Phil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
_viper_ wrote:
Cyril,

A couple of points:

1) I hope you do not mind I cross-posted this thread over on Consimworld, just so more people are aware of your effort.

2) Could you elaborate a bit more on one of your points above, i.e. that losses are taken randomly after CAP and AA? Do you mean that it could happen that all losses fall on the Bombers and Torpedo Planes?
Also, while I like almost all of the changes you are presenting, my feeling reading them is that it will make things harder for the US (and the game is already tough as it is...).
As usual, just my two cents and please consider that the above is for the purpose of discussion only and not meant in any way to either attack you or your work, which I think deserves all support possible!

Nice screen shots, BTW! Please keep them coming especially for us not lucky enough to have the right machine to play atm.


Hi Nicola,

1) no problem even if I might never show up at CSW

2) precision: random choice is done only instead of human choice. Fighter loss rule during dogfight is still applied.
It is purely a design choice to limit the number of human interactions, especially here where there is little added value

Regarding difficulty, I would say it remains the same as changes are done at the margin.
Those changes have been done to simplify the display - which horribly crowded in original game - and also in order to mask information purely intended to drive Jap AI.
Now, that iPad is driving AI for you, you don't need to know that a level 0 force is belonging to the trs pool with Guadalcanal as objective for instance.

Cheers
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
jmkinki wrote:
This is a very interesting subject. I'm a Carrier fan, but I haven't ipad only an iphone but with 6.2 ios.

I don't know whether you know it, but 1-2 years ago I made together a friend a complete redesign and translate into Spanish language of Carrier components (counters, mapboard....).

Whether you are interested you can use our update game components. You can find some images at this discussion forum: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/762582/updating-carrier-...

Best regards and good luck with this project!!


Thanks!
I will give it a look
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Krockover
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do hope that you would put me in the credits for the map redesign that you are currently using. I have the original .psd to show that I created that variant map that I created. Thanks.

I too only have an android pad but wish you good luck with this iPad release. Did you say that you might move this code to other platforms at some point? A PC game version would be great!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Brunton
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This ipad version is absolutely wonderful. None of the workload of running the opponent and all of the tension of trying to figure out where those Japanese carriers are before you get hammered. I play with the out of the blue option which means I can get hit by a Japanese strike and still not know where the enemy is.

One of the things I love is how the game is set up to enforce the unless on carrier deck and hangar movements automatically.

Really fantastic effort - more polished than a lot of final versions of PC games.

Doug
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
GaryJK wrote:
I do hope that you would put me in the credits for the map redesign that you are currently using. I have the original .psd to show that I created that variant map that I created. Thanks.

I too only have an android pad but wish you good luck with this iPad release. Did you say that you might move this code to other platforms at some point? A PC game version would be great!


I borrowed it from Zuntsu module. Of course you deserve credits.
Beautiful map anyway !

I will need to remove some useless info due to hidden AI (compasses, sea areas, ...) and add some others (Rabaul attack limit for instance)

Other plarforms may be. The problem is that you need to develop it twice :-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
By the way, Gary, haven't you been in touch with Jon Southard recently ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rosberg
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryJK wrote:
I do hope that you would put me in the credits for the map redesign that you are currently using. I have the original .psd to show that I created that variant map that I created. Thanks.

I too only have an android pad but wish you good luck with this iPad release. Did you say that you might move this code to other platforms at some point? A PC game version would be great!

Your map is a thing of beauty on the iPad Gary. Amazing!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
New option available: fog of war
You will never see undetected forces on map
good hunting !
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How close to release is this? Very interested buyer here!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Watson
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
How close to release is this? Very interested buyer here!

+1
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, I would be happy to release something within 1 year :-)

The game is fully playable, interface and game duration allow quick games, especially if you get shaved, ask Doug...

What is remaining to do
- fix minor bugs and remaining 5% of dev, ok
- get nicer graphics and sounds, will need help for sure
- provide help and tutorials, which is time consuming and just started
- find the proper way to publish, not so easy as I am not sure about copyrights
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Brunton
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the Japanese carriers have concluded some pretty quick games against me by sinking my carriers before I've had a chance to get at them.

However, my last game had me with Saratoga and Enterprise covering a troop transport run to Guadacanal. I ended up placing my two carrier groups East South East of that Island and was shocked when my scouts reported 3+ Japanese carriers within 6 hexes. I quickly flew off my airstrikes spotted on deck which found and pounded both carriers and sank them. Now that was before I'd faced a single airstrike and in fact none showed up.

Japanese fleet fled home but not before I added further insult to injury by severely damaging a battleship.

Great fun, and superb implementation of the game on the IPAD!

Doug
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Doug :-)

Setting up east of Solomons is always better as most of Japanse forces arrive this side. Otherwise, your SBD might be too far away from main action.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.