7 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Are all Shapeways ships bumpy-surfaced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lord Ashram
msg tools
Hey all,

Can I ask... Are all shapeways ships bumpy? Every one I have seen has that bumpy surface... Does anyone have one that isn't?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the material used.

The best end result I've seen has been this one.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12052199#12052199
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Ashram wrote:

Can I ask... Are all shapeways ships bumpy? Every one I have seen has that bumpy surface... Does anyone have one that isn't?

If you are comparing a 3-D printing, like shapeways, to the SW:XW models, it is not a truly accurate comparison. FFE uses [IIRC] molded plastic; shapeways is a 3-D print. TOTALLY different methods of manufacture.

I am sure someone will post a link; I believe the users sans_fi and perhaps einargosric has posted about the different materials and methods. I am pretty sure it was sans_fi who went into detail as to what materials and methods used produced which model results [BEFORE painting], although he did so on a very small fighter, IIRC.

The basic materials I have seen:

White, Strong and Flexible [WSF]
White, Strong and Flexible-Polished [WSF-P]
Frosted Detail [FD]
Frosted Ultra Detail [FUD]

The cheapest, and most durable, is WSF; it is also the 'bumpiest'. WSF-P has polished down much of the print lines, as well as scoured away much of the 'print residue' [plastic dusty bits].
FD has great detail, but leaves stronger 'print lines'. I cannot comment on FUD, as I have not taken out a loan to have a FUD model done yet. However, I suspect that the model which rekinom shows next to the Falcon is done in FUD, and laserschwert did a stunningly beautiful, professional paint job on it. I would expect it to sell for over $100, and would be a good price at that [the printing alone is $77 for that model in FUD].

I will be posting my ongoing, modest paintings in this forum, most of which are WSF; but they are also larger ships [large SWXW base].

WSF when finished is still very acceptable to me; I would be afraid to play SWXW with one that is as meticulously painted as laserschwert's. Once mine are done, they are getting table time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frosted Ultra Detail has the least printing grain, and most of that is on one plane only - the 'rear' facing surfaces on the ships I got.

WSF-Polished removes the grain, along with some crispness of any raised details.

The printing grain comes off with a light scraping of an X-Acto blade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
And a lot of the designers who use Shapeways are clamouring for the ability to choose print orientation which will minimize and in many case eliminate the print lines. From what we have been told it is just a matter of time but as to what that means who can tell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Mel_Miniatures
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you can see pictures of each material

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/955806/3d-printer-materials
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Ashram
msg tools
Hey guys!

Thanks much for the info... So seems I have to so the ultra frosted detail to really get a good looking ship, and then I have to scrub it down. Good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.