Subject: 2013 You Won’t Be Board Game of the Year: Euphoria rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Zimdahl
United States
philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
In a market built increasingly upon instant gratification, convincing game players to wait six months for a Kickstarter game to be delivered can be challenging. Following the first playthrough this week here at You Won’t Be Board Games, we are happy to report that Stonemaier Games have exceeded our high expectations for Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia.

Euphoria balances strategic depth, high degree of decision making freedom, and intuitive gameplay all while maintaining a darkly humorous theme that appeals equally to preppers, libertarians, and sci-fi geeks.

The game follows basic worker placement principles, but incorporates a unique dice roll system that represents the intelligence of a player’s workers. As one might expect from the dystopian future, intelligent workers represent a challenge to your despotic bureaucrat regime and they will defect if your society becomes too wise.

Euphoria manages to avoid analysis paralysis by keeping the basic eight different action options simple and strategic option paths apparent. Replayability is enhance by variable player powers through “Recruit” cards that remind one of Occupations in Agricola and variable game objectives set by 6 randomly selected Markets.

The artwork elegantly depicts a post-industrial landscape in a style reminiscent of WWII propaganda and retro sci-fi. While the board offers easily identifiable symbols, the Occupation card text is dense, which might challenge non-English speakers. Also, while it’s amusing to see the images of some of Stonemaier’s Kickstarter supporters on the Recruiters cards, some of the bodies were awkwardly scaled to their faces. Despite this, the art is stellar and displays the designers’ wit with locations such as the “Disassemble a Teddy Bear Shop” and “Lounge of Opulent Frugality”.

Given its depth, replayability, and intuitive rules, Euphoria now takes its place as a key staple for board game connoisseurs to pick up in 2014.

-Andrew Zimdahl, You Won't Be Board Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Anderson
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the name of your group, I thought you were making the statement that Euphoria would not be board game of the year! You may want to rethink the name of this award! Ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davethevenerable wrote:
Because of the name of your group, I thought you were making the statement that Euphoria would not be board game of the year! You may want to rethink the name of this award! Ha!

Thought the exact same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward J Grug III wrote:
davethevenerable wrote:

Same. Maybe some quotes around "You Won't Be Board" in the title?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debra
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
Edward J Grug III wrote:
davethevenerable wrote:

Haha! And so did I! And I thought ... 'Really? Have you not played the game?'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was a negative review too from the title
Happily it wasn't!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha I agree, I thought it was going to be a negative review as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The title actually draws people in, brilliant!, very pleasant surprise to find it another very positive review for this game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
JBMoby wrote:
Edward J Grug III wrote:
davethevenerable wrote:

The group call themselves You Won't Be Board Games.

I therefore believe that the title is informing us that Euphoria is the You Won't Be Board Games' Game of the Year, 2013.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dickinson
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came to read this wondering what on earth would be the content of the negative review. Happy to realise I misunderstood too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.