BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Harry Potter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Østergaard
Denmark
Herning
flag msg tools
i seen a lot of good games with ex. lord of ring, star wars, star trek and so on. but why aren't there a Harry potter "adventur" game or is just because i haven't found it yet

Happy New Year GEEKS devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Don`t know if it is adventure enough, but I have Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Mystery at Hogwarts Game. I also have a trivia game for it. They are for sale!! Both are in Norwegian, though.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Matusiak
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
You know what my days used to be like? I just tested. Nobody murdered me. Or put me in a potato. Or fed me to birds. I had a pretty good life. And then you showed up. You dangerous, mute lunatic. So you know what? You win. Just go. Don't come back.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised there isn't a Quidditch game, frankly.

For what its worth, my wife and I have played Miskatonic School for Girls a few times and pretend its in the Harry Potter universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one quiddich game..............for PS2.............. I owned it, but I sold it when I was going to get rid of as much as possible right before a move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Matusiak
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
You know what my days used to be like? I just tested. Nobody murdered me. Or put me in a potato. Or fed me to birds. I had a pretty good life. And then you showed up. You dangerous, mute lunatic. So you know what? You win. Just go. Don't come back.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:
There is one quiddich game..............for PS2.............. I owned it, but I sold it when I was going to get rid of as much as possible right before a move.

Ahh the purge before every big move. Sad but very cathartic. My biggest purge of gaming stuff was nearly two decades worth of Games Workshop miniatures and books. I had to drop one hobby, and it sure as heck wasn't going to be my boardgames!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem to be an under-developed license from a boardgaming perspective. While Harry Potter might be considered a children's story, I know a lot of adults who like it, even nerdy board gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apartment42 wrote:

A quick search of the database shows several Quidditch games.
The reviews don't sound so great though.
Quidditch: The Game
Harry Potter Championship Quidditch
for example.

A number of Harry Potter titles as well.
Harry Potter: Diagon Alley Board Game
Harry Potter: Adventure Through Hogwarts Castle 3D Game

And also a number of Harry Potter re-themed versions of standard games.

I haven't played any of them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tradewinds Ted wrote:
apartment42 wrote:

A quick search of the database shows several Quidditch games.
The reviews don't sound so great though.
for example.

I don't think a Quidditch game would be that great because, to be honest, Quidditch is a really stupid game. For all her talents as a writer, it seems JKR has very little idea about what makes a good game/sport. It's basically just Lacrosse in the air, with 1 player on each team playing an entirely different game that can make everything all the other players do completely irrelevant. I can't imagine that working very well even as a real game, let alone on a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apartment42 wrote:

That's the one corner of the Harry Potter world that was covered extensively in board and card games.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Quidditch Card Game
Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire Quidditch Dice Game
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Quidditch Chapter Game
Quidditch Cup
Harry Potter Quidditch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hanna
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Hogwarts: House Cup Challenge. My daughters are both Harry Potter fans and really enjoyed it.

This game reminds me a little of Talisman (but there is no dice in it). You move around the board encountering cards which you then have to defeat using your character's skills.

One of the things I like about it is that the deck of cards you encounter changes as the game progresses. The deck starts out with only cards related to the first book, so you might find the sorcerer's stone or play a game of Quidditch. Then when you reach Year 2 in the game, you add the cards for the second book and so on. Cards from a previous year will eventually age out of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
piemasteruk wrote:
It does seem to be an under-developed license from a boardgaming perspective. While Harry Potter might be considered a children's story, I know a lot of adults who like it, even nerdy board gamers

Yeah, and my aunt at the age of 60 odd years watch the movies, play the PS2 games with me, had the theme song as a ring tone and all. So the story reaches a lot more people than one should expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There haven't been any decent games because Mattel and Hasbro have both had the licensing rights from Warner Bros. Worldwide Consumer Products at different times since the first movie came out.

Now that the movies have run their course, you would have to see if the Warner Bros license has expired or not.

Then see who JK Rowling goes through for merchandising licenses or if she left that up to Warner Brothers to handle as part of the movie deal.

The brand managers at Mattel and Hasbro pretty much have their heads up their asses when it comes to making games even for the mass market and movie studios are notoriously bad at getting quality games produced that tie into the movie.

The only reason there have been decent star wars games is because Lucas was a master at merchandising and actually cared what happened with the license and it helped that Lucas arts were involved in making the video games. Now that Disney owns Star Wars, I'm sure we'll see a bunch of turds disguised as games hitting the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
80sgamer wrote:
There haven't been any decent games because Mattel and Hasbro have both had the licensing rights from Warner Bros. Worldwide Consumer Products at different times since the first movie came out.

Now that the movies have run their course, you would have to see if the Warner Bros license has expired or not.

Then see who JK Rowling goes through for merchandising licenses or if she left that up to Warner Brothers to handle as part of the movie deal.

The brand managers at Mattel and Hasbro pretty much have their heads up their asses when it comes to making games even for the mass market and movie studios are notoriously bad at getting quality games produced that tie into the movie.

The only reason there have been decent star wars games is because Lucas was a master at merchandising and actually cared what happened with the license and it helped that Lucas arts were involved in making the video games. Now that Disney owns Star Wars, I'm sure we'll see a bunch of turds disguised as games hitting the market.

Ahem...Star Wars: Imperial Assault...are you going to take back your words?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
80sgamer wrote:

I don't think this negates Mike's assertions. FFG is still producing Star Wars materials under a very specific, and possibly narrow, licensing agreement which predates the Disney acquisition.

As long as they retain the license, FFG can continue along these lines, but only for miniatures-based games it seems. That probably does not stop Disney from producing and releasing other types of board games, which, as Mike suggests, might not be the most stellar. Licenses can be complicated things, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
okami31 wrote:
80sgamer wrote:

I don't think this negates Mike's assertions. FFG is still producing Star Wars materials under a very specific, and possibly narrow, licensing agreement which predates the Disney acquisition.

As long as they retain the license, FFG can continue along these lines, but only for miniatures-based games it seems. That probably does not stop Disney from producing and releasing other types of board games, which, as Mike suggests, might not be the most stellar. Licenses can be complicated things, though.

Indeed. I was just being cheeky.

I came upon this thread because I too was wondering why aren't we getting Harry Potter deck/dice building games like other franchises.

Even the highest-rated HP game only covers up to the Order of Phoenix.

I guess, Hasbro still has the rights, which translates to crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dakota Thames
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the trading card game. It didn't live very long but I found a bunch of cards at thrift stores and the game was quite enjoyable. I revisit it ever so often with other fans of the Harry potter verse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edeninferno wrote:
There is also the trading card game. It didn't live very long but I found a bunch of cards at thrift stores and the game was quite enjoyable. I revisit it ever so often with other fans of the Harry potter verse.

Huh...and it was popular enough but still got cut short. I wouldn't want a TCG/CCG though. Maybe an LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I never thought about this before, but it does seem a bit odd. I browsed through those offerings and looked around a bit and it seems that Mattel had the licensing rights to board games last decade. That seems to follow, as most of those are indeed Mattel toys, more or less, from near the turn of the millennium.

Interesting that a couple of small potatoes publishers had some HP games. Betexa, who only has three games credited, one is HP license and one is Tolkien. That's no small feat there!

Anyway, it would be fun to speculate what might be possible. Not too much jumps out at you. Dungeon crawl maybe. A dueling game might be fun. Sort of a drafting system where you have cards or spells, each with a cost. Your total points to spend depending on your level (year). Defensive and offensive spells, each with their own power and speed, combat would be simultaneous reveal. Or dice and some characters could be buffed with special abilities. Might be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Mage Wars style wizard dueling game would probably be a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For easiest conversion, I think an Ascension/DC Deck Building/Star Realms-style deck-building game would be easy, with spells and items to acquire and Death Eaters, Dragons, Spiders and other creatures to defeat.

The final boss would be Voldemort, which would get weaker for each Horcrux you destroy (separate deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
A Mage Wars style wizard dueling game would probably be a lot of fun.

Sure, but quicker and more casual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a collectible card game that was actually pretty good. I bought a bunch when it was going out of print pretty inexpensively. You can actually make decks with some strategies. Definitely not on par with MTG, but more Pokemon-ish with a limited stock. My wife and I played it quite a bit and it was fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edeninferno wrote:

Hm, how complicated is that? I might look and see if the cars are still available anywhere.

I assume as others have said though, they aren't making any new games because the movies are all out, so there's nothing new to tie them in with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mibb wrote:
Edeninferno wrote:

Hm, how complicated is that? I might look and see if the cars are still available anywhere.

I assume as others have said though, they aren't making any new games because the movies are all out, so there's nothing new to tie them in with.

It is still a very popular franchise, otherwise Universal Studios wouldn't have plopped that much capital on it for their theme parks, and as a season pass holder, I can tell you the HP areas of the park are the most popular by far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I believe J.K. Rowling will keep coming back to it when her coffers start running low or lower (they must be quite plump!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.