Thunderbolt Apache Leader» Forums » Strategy

Subject: WW3 General War, there is a reason it's "expert" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Set up, 61 VP's! devil

Now if there is a campaign crying out for the AC-130, this is it, oh, hang on, it's not been invented yet!
I had so many assault battalions they only just fit inside the front line range band!
33 SO points, I went for 3 Cobras, 2 A10's and 2 Apaches. Bumped all my Cobra pilots down to Green/Newbie and bumped everyone else up a level or two. I took a risk leaving myself with less SO's in order to fly more missions per day and relying on the +4 daily allowance. My bright idea was to get as many assault battalions down to half strength as fast as I could, to slow them down over the first 3-4 days. Then use days 5-7 finishing them off. Day 8 was meant to involve lots of aerobatics and taunting of my defeated enemies.
Quite simply too many battalions to stop. Bad rolls on the enemy battalion movement left me in an untenable position within three days soblue
It was my fist pop at the scenario, and general war is easily my favourite situation to play, but WW3? It's proper hard. Any tales of glorious victory out there? I'm particularly interested in what forces you took and why.
I'm going to play WW3 in HL:CAO tomorrow, but that's a much more forgiving game.

Oh and Happy New Year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Medeiros
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played and beaten WW3 Geenral War several times, but it's as hairy as it gets. My tips:
I often use the "random selection" rules -- it's a fun challenge to take what the dice give you, and the extra points help.
You need to manage stress very carefully. You will want to attack everywhere at once, and with 8 days and only 4 SO points a day to spread between repairs, R&R, and munitions, you never have enough. A-10s loaded with iron bombs (or inferior rockets) and a fuel tank can often kill a battalion without costing you any SOs to arm them. Don't neglect the option to replace your aircraft; I often completely wipe out all the battalions, and can afford the -2VP hit - replace strategically to abuse the salvage rule.
Above all, be smart about how much force you apply, and how concentrated it is. Once battalions start penetrating to SO penalty zones, go for the kill rather than knocking them to half. If three battalions are about to enter a penalty zone, attack the two easiest ones; a battalion is a battalion, and the SO penalty for letting a nasty beast like 1A survive is no worse than for the lightest of battalions.
I usually use all of my first-day missions hitting support and command battalions with nasty effects (as good to knock them to half as kill, if necessary), then switch by the second or third day to cleaning up the front lines, closest threats first.
Learn to evaluate damage on your aircraft, which defects you can leave unrepaired and which are mission-critical; get used to flying some badly dinged-up birds. And never give up! -- you never know when a major allied offensive or resupply might save the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.