Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got our set in the other day and it looks great. Cards cut clean, colors vibrant, artistry good if a little cartoony at times, custom dice are nice. Liking the theme if a bit redundant. The Russian folklore angle is intriguing, love that stuff. Echoes of Peter and the Wolf that I played incessantly as a boy. The board I especially like, a bit reminiscent of the Warhammer:Invasion artwork, but better.

For me it has more grit and texture than Summoner Wars and less elegance, although I find it robustly elegant, in a visual sense, at least.

The rulebook is a bit abbreviated however, as we all know by now. I expect by the time we dial the rule set in and get the game rolling along it will be a good one. But not thinking I'll be waiting that long and did, in fact, put it in the Trade column on a hunch a week ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a fun (and artistically beautiful) game that I think a lot of people will really like. Unfortunately, the game is almost unplayable because of how vague the rulebook is, which will ultimately hurt any success it could have had in the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not unplayablwe imo. I found it easy to get into after reading the rulebook, watching a video and looking up a few things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Haesendonckx
Belgium
Antwerp - Schoten
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing it here for awhile and we love it!

The designers are a friendly bunch and answered any questions that we had.

Granted, there are a few vague wordings on the cards, but nothing that isn't solved by justing thinking logically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm laboring under a contradiction intrinsic to this game genre. All board based card games, in fact, like this and Warhammer Invasion, Summoner Wars and many of the LCGs. I've always loved the artistry and especially the data that a card element provides. I played many of the first card driven board games, or CDGs, like Paths of Glory and Wilderness War and really liked the card element introduced there. Then playing games like Runebound with lots of cards but not yet played out on the board, it still worked for me. But then, when games evolved to where the cards were put out on the board as pieces, the ergonomics began to break down.

To explain, with regard to tactical based games I play mostly miniature games. A mini represents a creature/character on the board, while the card with the relevant data remains in my hand or in front of me. Where I can see it and actually read it. Ergonomically ideal.

Games like chess are the ultimate mini game, in the respect that no cards are needed and the data relevant to each piece is open knowledge. But when you have a varied, well populated cosmography of creatures—cards or some manner of data repository, is needed.

Minis with click bases attempted to have their cake and eat it too. But we still had to reach over and pick up the minis more times than we would have liked, not to mention that the iconography involved can be cumbersome. The beauty of the articulation of card and mini is that you can look out and see the lay of the game at a glance and you can pick up the card for a particular piece to focus in on a decision about what to do with it, given their unique abilities, or to record damage, or any number of things. Plenty of room for backstory on the back and all the data a mini skirmish might make use of, while out on the board is a clean, well sculpted 3D icon that does nothing but be itself. Sure the housekeeping of coordinating cards with figures is big, but a little order regarding how your catalogue them can go a long way to mitigating chaos.

I am a slow learner in some regards; I am the first to admit. I keep buying into games like Berserk here because the aggregate of imagery, data and theme is compelling. Inevitably, though, it goes out the door and I reach into the game drawer for a fresh handful of miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fil Darkonios
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both card games and miniature games. I usually play card games when free time is short or when i am not in the mood to play for more than half an hour. If there is more free time for gaming i will go for a miniature game as i really enjoy looking at the miniatures on the board.

There is something in miniatures that makes them more satisfying to look at and play with, but on the other hand card games with great quality of art on the cards equal the scales between the 2.

Berserk does look like a promising game for playing with friends or with relatives at home, and of course if there is something odd in the rules, there always are the house rules that make each game a much more entertaining experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that where I find myself withdrawing from a card based game is when the cards are all out on the board. Playing cards from your hand, even onto a player board like many CCGs, is one thing, but having them out there like coded 2D tokens is too much a strain on the magic and ergonomics of cards in hand or played in front of me that effectively evoke with their artistry and inform with their information.

Or maybe I'm just getting too old to see the cards once they're three feet away.

I love cards, don't get me wrong, I'm just philosophizing on the scope of game use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fil Darkonios
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally get you, on card games where the creatures pictured on the cards were generic enough, i used to place a miniature on top of every card on the board to represent the card's creature in 3D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.