Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Falon Jordan
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mb
We played our first game of Freedom as a two player game on the challenging mode. We won in the 5th round, lost 0 slaves and freed 16 slaves (3 more than we needed to).

Before playing we watched a game play run though and read the directly carefully.

Did anyone else have an easy time winning a player game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine something got missed.

Some thoughts:

Tokens are limited. Once used, they are gone for good. Except the very last of each conductor token.

Only one slave can be in a space, except the large square cities that hold four.

Each slave affects the space they finish their movement on from every action. If you have a move three slaves one space token. All three of those slaves will affect the spaces they end on.. i.e. move a slave then money/trigger, move a slave then money/trigger, move a slave then money trigger. That is one whole action. Then if you had another move three slaves one space, that would be three more triggers.

You can't move through slave catchers.

Negative events happen. If you buy a negative card that triggers when removed earlier than when it gets to the end... it still happens. It was removed.

Also, the expansion cards don't just get shuffled in. They replace cards. The expansion rules note how many cards each era should have.

Those are my first thoughts of what might have been missed. If you did crush it, cudos to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falon Jordan
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mb
bmayer wrote:

Some thoughts:

Tokens are limited. Once used, they are gone for good. Except the very last of each conductor token.

Only one slave can be in a space, except the large square cities that hold four.

Each slave affects the space they finish their movement on from every action. If you have a move three slaves one space token. All three of those slaves will affect the spaces they end on.. i.e. move a slave then money/trigger, move a slave then money/trigger, move a slave then money trigger. That is one whole action. Then if you had another move three slaves one space, that would be three more triggers.

You can't move through slave catchers.

Negative events happen. If you buy a negative card that triggers when removed earlier than when it gets to the end... it still happens. It was removed.

Also, the expansion cards don't just get shuffled in. They replace cards. The expansion rules note how many cards each era should have.

Those are my first thoughts of what might have been missed. If you did crush it, cudos to you.

Thanks for the quick reminder breakdown. We followed all the above rules. I didn't realize the expansion cards replace cards that came with the game so I'll need to update my deck. However, during our game only 1 expansion card came up. Maybe we just ended up with a good combination of cards.

It also seems like players have to setup the slave catchers in the right place. Sometimes luring the catchers away in one direction so slave can move past them in another direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That last bit may have doe it. The extra cards really soften the deck and would make for an easier run as you could not see any of the opposition cards with all of the extra cards in the period decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
bmayer wrote:

Some thoughts:

Holy Crap! I thought if you bought the Negative Events before they dropped out, that the effects didn't happen. Wow. So there is no incentive to get rid of a negative event if it has an effect that triggers when it gets kicked out? (Well that depends I guess on the card). Wow. Obviously a Negative Event that has an ongoing effect would be good to get rid of.

Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: A token that says move X-cubes 2 spaces. You only get $money$ for the space that slave ends on, right? OR does that cube collect money for each city with a $ sign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only get money on the last space the slave moves to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually there may be times when it is more opportune for the negative events to trigger. So you may want to buy them out so they happen then.

patton55 wrote:
bmayer wrote:

Some thoughts:

Holy Crap! I thought if you bought the Negative Events before they dropped out, that the effects didn't happen. Wow. So there is no incentive to get rid of a negative event if it has an effect that triggers when it gets kicked out? (Well that depends I guess on the card). Wow. Obviously a Negative Event that has an ongoing effect would be good to get rid of.

Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: A token that says move X-cubes 2 spaces. You only get $money$ for the space that slave ends on, right? OR does that cube collect money for each city with a $ sign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm remembering the negative events are good about explaining themselves. Some you definitely want to trigger ASAP. Some--depending on circumstances and the effects, you might blow off and let go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falon Jordan
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mb
I read another article where Brian posted a link to details regarding the expansion cards.

Taken from the expansion rules:

"Period One should have 13 non-negative Abolitionist Cards (9 for 1-2 players), Period Two should have 17 non-negative Abolitionist Cards (13 for 1-2 players), and Period Three should have 10 non-negative Abolitionist Cards (10 for 1-2 players).

The Negative Cards can be added to the rest of the Negative Cards to be selected from for setup.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/nbo1txodj5/Freedo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Gabrieloff
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falon21 wrote:
We played our first game of Freedom as a two player game on the challenging mode. We won in the 5th round, lost 0 slaves and freed 16 slaves (3 more than we needed to).

Before playing we watched a game play run though and read the directly carefully.

How did you get enough money to buy all 5 support tokens?

Did I misread the rules and you don't need to buy them all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EduardoX wrote:
Falon21 wrote:

No, you are correct you do need to buy them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Too easy? I haven't even come close to winning yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EduardoX wrote:
Falon21 wrote:

Yeah. Honestly, freeing slaves isn't so bad. It's the money and support token issues that are difficult to manage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EduardoX wrote:
Falon21 wrote:

You didn't misread the rules; you need to buy all the support token from all 3 periods. That's 7 tokens in a 2-player games. In 5 rounds, you can only buy 10 tokens (assuming the Stockholder isn't in play). That doesn't leave a lot of scope for buying Conductor tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.