Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ROMAN TURN 7

Roman rallies begin well and go downhill from there. Titus is able to get the Velitae up, but the FHI under the adjacent Tower cannot answer the call. XII Legion units on the front Rout. Oh boy ...

But I keep a good perspective ...

- No Panickers ... Yay !
- And the Routers can move away.
- Still some play left !

With two turns left, I really can't get caught up in emotional distress caused by Disrupts, Routs, and Elims. There are plenty of units to replace these. It is PANIC that hurts. Ohhhh my ... the effects of Panic ... shake ...

The Judaean responds with more arrows.

The Roman continues to Ram and pick at Susa. The NW Bastion is hit with 3 more Damage with a second dr of 6 and the NE Bastion is spared with a second dr of 1. Unfortunately, the middle Ram continues its mediocre performance.

So what do we have here ?

The Breach near the NW Bastion gives the Roman access to the Inner Temple, and space to put Lepidus and a Cohort in the open hex to attack the Edifice. I still hope for a second Breach to make that attack more effective, but it does not look likely to happen. Taking the Bastion won't help a lot. Even so, it is probably better taken than not, so we will make a play for it.

The NE Bastion has resisted all attempts to reduce it, so no sense pounding away there. With X Legion engaged in the NW, perhaps Cestius can shift a little south and get on the eastern Wall of the Inner Temple. Titus has that all important +1 drm in melee, so he needs to go where the chances of success are greatest. He is probably better used in the east to negate the -1 Temple drm and try his luck against 1 or 2-stacks than pounding away at the NW Bastion.

The decision is made ... Lepidus and the X Legion will try and open up the NW for a better attack on the Temple Edifice while Titus and Cestius roll down the eastern face of the Inner Temple Wall hoping for ... well, hoping for SOMETHING to happen.

Roman strategy is desperate at this point ... and with the tactical advantages of overwhelming Artillery/Archer fire and Breach attacks out of the question, it is going to be up the the foot pounders to get the job done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ROMAN TURN 7 MOVEMENT

First, XII Legion shifts to the south and gathers those that can do what is necessary. Velitae will hold the ladders, while FHI climb them. Towers will be used to double the attack factors of the strongest FHI, Cestius, and Titus himself. Make way !

Routers out …

XII Legion Assault !

X Legion Assault !

For better or worse ... this is it !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ROMAN TURN 7 MELEE

The first melee ... NW Bastion ...

The Back is resolved as a D on the Cauldron, which Retreats one hex south.

The next melee is by Cestius and the 7-8 from the Tower and his men on the Escalade ...

The Back is resolved as a Disrupt, and the Cauldron Retreats north one hex to bolster the defense against the upcoming attack by Titus. Just what I wanted ... a sure 3:1 turns into a 2:1.

Continuous combat ... the dr is 1, which stops it cold.

How many times have we seen that ? The wonderful 6 followed by that horrid 1.

So now it is up to Titus. Be a hero !!!

So he is a semi-hero ... the E result is taken against the Cauldron and Titus attacks again ...

... and clears the hex ! Advance ... MA ... and now the Romans are seeing something good trying to happen ! angry

Titus joins with Cestius and the boys on the ladders ...

... and takes the Gate ! Too late for anyone to take advantage of it for movement, but OH MY !!! An adjacent unit just asking to be attacked after we advance ! We take advantage and ...

Sweet heavens ... !!!

... out of nowhere, the Roman is in the Temple Edifice with the strongest stack possible. How the heck did THAT ever happen ??? The attack continues ...

... hitting the Zealots ...

and eliminating one with a 6.

Continuous Combat ... a 1 is rolled, and Titus is finally stopped ! The Cavalry kills a Militia to end the sword fighting and Cestius Advances into the Gate hex with a few of his friends.

So here is what the battlefield looks like as we start the Judaean Turn 7 ...

I dare say that the Roman has turned the tables ! modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(NOTE: If you picked up the Relpay from Part 3 Start, be sure to check the last couple of posts in Part 2. There was some important action in Roman Turn 6 ! wow)

JUDAEAN TURN 7

Reserves show up in the Upper City. There should have been 2 Zealots, 4 Regulars, and 2 Militia, but because Reserves are taken from the Dead Pile it ended up as 4 Regulars and 4 Militia. That gives the Judaean a full compliment of Zealots and Regulars (minus Garrison dead units) to play out the last Turn. So much for using attrition as a Roman strategy to reduce the quality of the defenders !

The Reserves have a long way to go to get into the action.

The Disrupted Cauldron in the NW Bastion retreated one hex during the Melee Phase and declines to roll for rally, since it is optional for Artillery. The Militia in Susa Gate rolls a 6 and eliminates itself.

In the MFPh, Roman Armored Towers continue to pound away at the NW Bastion and northern Wall. Archers disrupt a Regular with ben Giora and another Militia in Susa ...

Judaean return fire is somewhat effective ...

And now the Judaean sucks it up for a miracle finish. I really have to hand it to MJ. After watching me fail over and over again, making mistake after careless mistake, and having an almost sure Victory to celebrate, his response to the Roman melee was ...

- Well done again..

Just goes to show what a Gentleman he is. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.