15 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shaman Placing on Cult Track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomáš Richter
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
In rules they say, that you can place a shaman on cult track and immediately take him back to your passive storage to advance on a cult track just for one place. (you dont loose him this way). Can you do such a think even if all four cult posts are full?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's called a "Priest", and yes, you can do this even if all spots are already taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kunst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree.

But I was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf684 wrote:
I disagree.
The rules say that you place a priest for 3 or 4 steps, if a spot is available. You do not get the priest back.
Alternatively you can take it back immediately and only advance 1 step.
In other words, there has to be a free spot in order to do this.

And I disagree with you.
The rules say you can place a priest on a spot (only one priest per slot). Alternatively return him to your supply to advance one spot.
I doesn't say "return him after placing at a spot".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
Wulf684 wrote:
I disagree.
The rules say that you place a priest for 3 or 4 steps, if a spot is available. You do not get the priest back.

And I disagree with you.
The rules say you can place a priest on a spot (only one priest per slot). Alternatively return him to your supply to advance one spot.
I doesn't say "return him after placing at a spot".

This concurs with my reading of the rules as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
And I say that rather than bat around opinions you should check the FAQ which directly answers this question and if that wasn't enough you can even check the source they cited to quell all doubts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2.5 Advancing on Cult tracks

What is required to reach the top space of a Cult track?

To reach the top space (space 10) of a Cult track, you need to already have a key (Town tile). You get a Town tile when founding a Town. You need one key (Town tile) for each top space on a Cult track.

Is it allowed to send a Priest to an order of a Cult, and place it there, even if I can't advance the full range?

Yes. (source)

Can I send a Priest to an order of a Cult and return it to my supply to advance 1 space, even if all Priest spaces are occupied?

Yes, you can always send a Priest and return it to your supply to advance 1 space on a Cult track. (source)

Also see 2.10 Timing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kunst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aight, the FAQ and answer by Ponton seems conclusive: no free spot is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Polish rulebook is a little vague in this area and I also played it wrong my first time. It's not even "placing" a priest on a cult track. You simply take it from your own supply and return it to the general supply. You then advance 1 step on any cult track you wish.
While the priests that were once actually placed on the cult track cannot be removed from there ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
My Polish rulebook is a little vague in this area and I also played it wrong my first time. It's not even "placing" a priest on a cult track. You simply take it from your own supply and return it to the general supply. You then advance 1 step on any cult track you wish.
While the priests that were once actually placed on the cult track cannot be removed from there ever.

And all that is perfectly right! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf684 wrote:
I disagree.

In addition to not needing a free spot to advance one space, a priest placed on a cult track spot is only worth 2 or 3 steps, not 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know this--cool, nice little wrinkle in the cult track. Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polish rulebook is not a good reference, it is translation anyway.
So far I've found at least one big mistake in polish translation (bonus cards).
BartP wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:
Quote:

To reach the top space (space 10) of a Cult track, you need to already have a key (Town tile). You get a Town tile when founding a Town. You need one key (Town tile) for each top space on a Cult track.

Is it allowed to send a Priest to an order of a Cult, and place it there, even if I can't advance the full range?

Yes. (source)

Can I send a Priest to an order of a Cult and return it to my supply to advance 1 space, even if all Priest spaces are occupied?

Yes, you can always send a Priest and return it to your supply to advance 1 space on a Cult track. (source)

Also see 2.10 Timing.

Just to clarify this bit - Can I place a priest on the cult board even if I can't advance at all on the cult track? The purpose obviously is to block the space.

From the wording in the wiki I assume you can...

Came up in a game I was in where someone was at 9, but didn't have a key, and wanted to take the last space on that track to keep anyone from getting the 2 to catch them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
TwitchBot wrote:
RobertDD wrote:
Quote:

Yes. (source)

Also see 2.10 Timing.

Just to clarify this bit - Can I place a priest on the cult board even if I can't advance at all on the cult track? The purpose obviously is to block the space.

From the wording in the wiki I assume you can...

Came up in a game I was in where someone was at 9, but didn't have a key, and wanted to take the last space on that track to keep anyone from getting the 2 to catch them.

Quote:
[...]

Yes. (source)

I'd say the above quote answers your question pretty conclusively: yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.