United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for some solo war-games recommendations. first let me explain my "wargaming" background.

I've played Risk and Civ since I was in grade school. Took up miniatures after high school and play mostly Warmachine when I have a chance, which is not often. I kickstarted 1775: Rebellion and The Guns of Gettysburg but cannot find anyone to play Guns with and while I love 1775, it is light. I want to try some chit style games, in particular solo games since I know my wife won't play them with me. I've seen a few around here, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I'm currently on track to be a high school history teacher and really enjoy the eras of WWI and WWII as well as Vietnam and The American Civil War.

The one game I've seen and really want to try is The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43, I love the idea of Subs and this looks awesome.

So I'm turning to you, the greatest community of people I know for some recommendations of some games to look for.

Edit: I'm always up for some trades as well. I'm strapped for cash since I'm back in school, but trading is always an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Sisson
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking forward to Hunters, try and find "B-17 Queen of the sky's" it's long out of print but you may find a used one.

I also like are the Field commander series games of games by DVG
for chip pull, start with Rommel it's hard to beat and very entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, and welcome! A couple of thoughts...

When saying "solo", keep in mind that you can actually be talking about two different things. One is any typical hex-and-counter wargame designed primarily for two or more players (most are two player games) but often played solo, where the player simply plays both sides. This is by far the most common 'solo' wargaming that takes place.

The other is an actual designed for purpose 'solo' wargame, where the rules provide for some kind of analog "AI" to control the other side (often requiring extensive special rules to generate the actions of the 'non-player' side).

An example of a typical 2-player wargame played solo is illustrated by my session report of a solo play of the Avalon Hill classic "Bitter Woods":
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/296502/bitter-woods-day-by-d...
In games like this, I find it easier to make one of the sides the 'active side', where I invest most of my planning efforts, while the other side is the 'reactive side', where I just react to the moves I made for the 'active side'. Works well for me.

An example of a 'designed-for-purpose' solo wargame is Carrier. Another example is Field Commander: Rommel.

I would say that standard hex-and-counter 2-player games make for the best solo experiences since for the most part they have little or no hidden information, which can otherwise get in the way of playing the game solo. Wargames that are 'card driven games' or CDGs (e.g. Sword of Rome ), or "block" games (e.g. Europe Engulfed ) are generally not as good choices for solo play, since much of their attraction is the hidden information provided by the cards or blocks.

Oh, and I'll note, these types of games are typically known as 'hex-and-counter' rather than 'chit' games, but I knew what you meant!

Now go grab a 'hex-and-counter' game and have fun!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry too much about finding games specifically designed to solo. Most wargames play great by just playing both sides. The caveat being that games with some type of fog of war, e.g. Most block games and CDGs, are more difficult to solo. If the fog of war is the focus of the game, like block games, then you may not get a lot out of playing them solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that most wargames can be played solo, even block games, so don't worry too much about that. But if you are looking for games designed as solitaire, here are a few

Raid on St. Nazaire - excellent history lesson in a box
Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic - again, very good history, 3rd printing is just now coming out and may be hard to find, but epic if you can get it
D-Day at Omaha Beach - recently reprinted and very popular
Picket Duty: Kamikaze Attacks against U.S. Destroyers – Okinawa, 1945 - just got mine so can't offer personal take, but looks like fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A fine video review for a fine solitaire wargame:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sullivan
United States
South Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dan it so happens that I'm clearing some shelf space and for the price of the postage you can have a nice starter introduction to the Avalanche Press Panzer Grenadier series. It's all first edition stuff but is unpunched and the Semper Fi is in shrink. Send me a GM if interested.
Panzer Grenadier: The East Front
Heroes of the Soviet Union: The Defense of Mother Russia 1942-43
Panzer Grenadier: Semper Fi! Guadalcanal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your posts!!! and Thanks Mike!!! I sent you a PM. Those look pretty great. I'll have a good motivation to get my homework done faster so I can spend some quality time with this games.

I think I turned myself off to playing against myself back when I tried playing a CCG in order to test out deck ideas. I found knowing what was in the other hand made it hard. But I can see where that would not apply with war-games. I will have to give it a go.

Of course I'd love to hear some more recommendations!! There are so many good games out there.

Please accept some GG for your time!!! I really do appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan,

If you are interested in the civil war try Glory Series They are ideal for solo play because of the chit pull system. Also pretty immersive into the battles they depict. Beautiful maps and counters. Worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maven Moore
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
In Tempus, Fortuna omnia vincit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd mention The Barbarossa Campaign since it hasn't been mentioned by anyone else. I received a copy for Christmas, but don't know if it's any good yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:

Even though most 2-player games play just fine solo, some seem better suited to solo play than others. Tactical/grand tactical games like Great Battles of History (GBoH) or the Musket & Pike Battle Series (M&P) have no "fog of war," so there is no hidden information like there is in an operational series like Operational Combat Series, in which you're normally not allowed to inspect the opponent's stacks of counters.

If you're playing an OCS scenario of any size it's really not that hard to get the same fog of war effect as playing opposed. Due to the sheer number of counters in play it is difficult to remember the precise counters in a given stack, unless you are trying to do so.

Even without the fog of war though, OCS is still great to solo because, unlike a block game, the fog of war really isn't a critical component to truly enjoying the system. The fog of war is a very minor part of the system as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
rstites25 wrote:

If you're playing an OCS scenario of any size it's really not that hard to get the same fog of war effect as playing opposed. Due to the sheer number of counters in play it is difficult to remember the precise counters in a given stack, unless you are trying to do so.

I find it much harder to remember what I should know, than forgetting
things I shouldn't. And that IS something of an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.