Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These cards have been around for way too long to only have 3 variant threads. My goal coming into this was to make an interesting game that makes the weaker cards not totally useless. Obviously this is a work in progress, and I haven't spent that long actually developing it, but my friend and I tested it using only cards from the Black And White 2 player learn-to-play starter deck and it worked pretty well.

Here's the first-draft rules the way we played them.

POKEMOBA

SETUP: each player drafts 6 pokemon (evolutions are included in the count) from a predtermined selection pool.

all drafted basic pokemon go face-up into the player's BENCH. Evolutions can be placed under their respective basic cards, or set aside. Each player gets 2 towers, and selects one energy type for the FARM POINTS. Each FARM POINT consists of a pile of energy cards of a single type. Set up the battlefield as seen in the diagram below.

A players turn consists of 3 phases.

PHASE1 UPKEEP:
-Each benched pokemon may heal 10 dmg
-Any enemy pokemon standing next to one of your active towers takes 10 dmg

PHASE2 FARM ENERGY:
-collect 1 energy card from each FARM POINT
-collect 1 ADDITIONAL energy from any farm point where you have a pokemon who's base HP is lowest or tied for lowest.

PHASE3 SPEND ENERGY:
you don't have to spend it all now, and are permitted to hoard energy for later turns. Unlike the original rules, when you use energy in this game it goes back to the FARM POINTs. You may spend energy to:

-Attack: use a pokemon's attack for the cost written on it's card. A pokemon may only hit an enemy pokemon if it is in the same area. Each pokemon may only attack once per turn.

-Move: you may move a pokemon to a connecting area by spending it's RETREAT value. As seen in the diagram, a pokemon may move to a FARM POINT from anywhere, but may only move back to their BENCH from the FARM POINT. A pokemon may move more than once per turn.
You may not move past an enemy tower if an enemy pokemon is also standing at that tower.

-Evolve: You may evolve a pokemon only if it is standing at the tower closest to you, and only if you can pay the evolved card's RETREAT cost. You may evolve more than once if you can afford it.

-Revive: If a pokemon is KOed it goes back to your bench face down and loses it's evolutions. In order to flip it back over, you must spend the KOed pokemon's RETREAT cost +1.

TOWERS: In order to win you must knock out all enemy towers. Pokemon may attack towers as they would normal pokemon. Towers have 100 HP.

My main concern right now is making more ways for weak pokemon to be worth something, as it is 50HP pokemon are great for farming, but a 60HP pokemon with 10 ATK (weedle) is still absolutely useless. so I'm working on that.

An easy fix worth trying is to make the draft so players take turns picking one pokemon for themselves and then one for their opponent. This means you can drop less useful pokemon on an opponent, making them valuable as an early-game screw-over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give it a try. I also felt there needed to be more variants to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.