Subject: Best spray paint to use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lack of separate colors for each nation's units has long irritated me, and I'd like to finally rectify this by painting my miniatures

The last miniature I painted, however, was a lead figurine produced by Grenadier for TSR back in 1980.

This time around, I'd be working with plastic and would be happy with a simple monochrome coating.

Is there any particular brand or type of spray paint that somewhere here could recommend to me? Or is spray paint a mistake altogether ?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gelston
United States
Dunedin
Florida
flag msg tools
The best I have found is Tamiya spray paints for plastic models (TS, PS, and AS lines) - tamiyausa.com . You can find their small spray cans in hobby stores. With any spray paints, make sure you observe the temperature guidelines on the can. If it is too cold, you can get bad results.

Stay away from Krylon sprays and Testor's enamel. In my experience, they were still tacky (and very smelly) several weeks after application.

You can get some EXCELLENT results using two colors on the WotR models, because the details are very pronounced. Completely cover the figures with a darker color, then spray lightly from above with a lighter color.

I have gotten a lot of compliments on my two-tone set.

Here are some suggestions to get you started:
Gondor - blue base and silver highlights (brings out the detail in the armor)
Rohan - green base and silver highlights
Sauron - black with red highlights (use just a touch of red on the nazgul)
Saruman - red with yellow highlights (has a very nice fiery appearance)
Southrons - brown base with orange highlights
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marsh
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thanks for such a great detailed response. I am eager to try this out.

Have you posted any photos of the results?

All the best,

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
The lack of separate colors for each nation's units has long irritated me, and I'd like to finally rectify this by painting my miniatures

You've finally goaded me into action on this. I've never been one for painting miniatures - (I'd rather spend the time playing) - but this game almost demands it, and I resolve to start looking for the paints on my next shopping trip.

Many thanks to Mark Gelston for his very helpful response - I'll bear those ideas in mind as I look round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Thank you gelston. Exactly what I was looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gelston
United States
Dunedin
Florida
flag msg tools
My pleasure. I will try to post a couple photos to this thread within a couple days.
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what about the elves, dwarves, and men of the north?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gelston
United States
Dunedin
Florida
flag msg tools
I don't have strong recommendations for those factions, I think a lot of light/dark combos would work well. Here are the colors I used:
Dwarves: brown base with silver highlights
Elves: blue and white
North: green and white

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gelston
United States
Dunedin
Florida
flag msg tools
Here's a photo. I highlight leaders with gold to make sure they are easily distinguished from elites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
gelston wrote:
Here's a photo. I highlight leaders with gold to make sure they are easily distinguished from elites.

Thanks, but I'm getting a 404 on that photo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gelston
United States
Dunedin
Florida
flag msg tools
Should be working now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The picture doesn't work for me. Is it posted somewhere else? I seem to recall seeing the two-tone paint job pictures somewhere here but can't seem to find it.

I've just about talked myself out of attempting a detailed paint job. I'm very seriously considering a spray paint job on the "commons".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Porkins_ wrote:
The picture doesn't work for me. Is it posted somewhere else? I seem to recall seeing the two-tone paint job pictures somewhere here but can't seem to find it.

I've just about talked myself out of attempting a detailed paint job. I'm very seriously considering a spray paint job on the "commons".

I have decided to do exactly that: spray + dip + dull coat on the common figures.

In order to do this somewhat economically (and not have a bunch of leftover paint materials) I have collected three full sets of figures.

The process I plan to follow:

1. Spray Paint Base coat of main color. I will use lighter tones rather than dark reds and blues that I have seen on some figures. I plan to use "Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2x". It is available at WalMart, Lowes and Home Depot. I have had very good experience using the Flat Primers and want to experiment with the Satin Colors. I use their Flat Primers on all my Strongholds and dooms terrain figures.

2. "Dip" in polyurethane varnish - tinted with ink. I will use a different dark ink color for each faction to highlight and contrast with the base color. The dip will settle into the cracks and crevices and highlight the figure's details. I considered the 2-tone spray job, but have seen some of those figures and I think that the dip method will work better.

3. Drybrush a few highlights on selected figures. For example: the raised patterns on the flags of the leaders and the shields of Gondor.

4. Clearcoat with Dead Flat Spray-on Lacquer.

I've been cruising forums, looking at images and pondering this for probably 2 years! I will be executing this in August. I will have 2 extra sets available if anyone is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the picture of the painting scheme that gelston details:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Zuschlag
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was contemplating doing this myself.

If you do the spray approach, do you have to have an airbrush or just spray?

In terms of rec'd colors for each of the factions, I would follow what the online client (ElrondP5: http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1733) uses:

Elves: Light Green
Gondor: Dark Blue
Rohan: Dark Green
North: Light Blue
Dwarves: Dark Orange
Sauron: Dark Red
Isenguard: Yellow
S&E: Light Orange

Check them out! I find this a good color combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
I have decided to do exactly that: spray + dip + dull coat on the common figures.

In order to do this somewhat economically (and not have a bunch of leftover paint materials) I have collected three full sets of figures.

The process I plan to follow:

(SNIP)

I did 4 sets and the results can be viewed here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/52817

My process was different that described above. Look at my posts below the video to get the process (also described in the video session report).

Foob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.