Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello everybody,
we're now at the end of a very exciting campaign and have lost chapter 11 yesterday. cry
We have encountered some rules difficulties that didn't occur until now. Can you help?

(please note that we own the german version of the game, so the translation may be a bit off, but hopefully you'll get what I mean)

MAJOR SPOILERS! Please do not read further
if you have not played chapter 11 of Mice&Mystics!

There are "explosion" special surges in every room. Are these triggered every time the cheese wheel fills up?

The special explosion surge on the guard room (prison) destroys the pipe labyrinth along with all miniatures on it. But how can there be any any enemies if the party is in the guard room? To explore the guard room, the pipe labyrinth has to be cleared of enemies in the first place, or did we miss a rule there?

Vanestra has two "open" initiative cards. One one instance, she was distracted by meeps, and Lily used her accurate shot, so she only had one defense die left. She received three wounds that turn. Are these applied to only one initiative card (i.e. that one card is "killed"/removed, and the others are unaffected), or does the damage carry over to the other iniative cards?
If the former is the correct ruling, why (or: how!) would Vanestra receive extra damage if driving her back (with Collin's magic sword) isn't possible?

The rules state that if you have to place more than six rats, you just place those six. What happens if you are to place, say, four rats and three elite rats? Do you use 3 normal, three elites? Four normal, two elites? Or four normal, and three elites, using the cardboard tokens for elite rats?

After defeating Vanestra, you leave the smithy via the pipe next to the chain pile. Where to does the party leave? The pipe labyrinth (since the entry/exit spots are the same color) or the sewers (since the small arrows at the top left are the same color)?

The story bit about Vanestra's death says that Collin's ring is destroyed, but the rules say nothing about it having to be discarded. Storywise, it would feel right if the ring would be destroyed. Is that the correct interpretation?
Collin would also have to discard the blade to avoid being damaged by it (we also had the "ring of cat strength", so +1 attack die, meaning additional danger of hurting himself). Since he starts without his sword, would he be unarmed?

Does Lily's "power shot" ability double her total attack dice? She uses the "magic bow" instead of her normal bow, so she's at +1 attack. So would she roll five (2x2 +1) or six (2+1 x2) dice?

Thank you for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to help.

1) special surges only happen once per room.

2) there are special explore rules in this chapter. You can explore in some rooms without clearing minions, if you do there are minions left behind, and they can move between tiles! Look under special chapter rules and the rules for the rooms with water.

3) damage does not move between initiative cards.

4) it depends on the order or encounter cards. If the first card says 3 elite rats and the second 4 rats then place elite rats and 3 rats. If the first card says 4 rats and the second card says 3 elite rats, then place 4 rats and 2 elite rats.

5) in setup 1 the pipes

6) yes you would need to find him a weapon, or just give him Colin's sword.

7) in your example it would be 5 dice. Power shot doubles her base battle not her modified battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

On the question of attacking Vanestra and dealing more than 1 damage. I assume that if you attack with Colin and deal 1 damage it removes a card, then if you can't drive her back it does 1 more damage and removes another card, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that when you declare an attack, you pick your target card on the track, no spillover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional question, would defeating one of a boss's cards activate Backslash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Provided you:
- have the cheese to spend
- are using a sharp weapon
- didn't use another ability that turn

Sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So would you say that Collin using Sorrow Blade and Backslash could take out Vanestra in 1 turn or just 2/4 cards.

First Attack
1 card
Sorrow Blade - push back
1 card
Second Attack
1 card
Sorrow Blade - push back
1 card

or do you play that the Sorrow Blade push back doesn't go to a different card. Otherwise that push back only really helps if you can actually push back or if you missed completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I think the problem here is the Sorrow Blade... When you attack with it and cause a wound, you are applying the wound from if
was rolled to Collin, yes?

The story behind the sorrow blade:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When Collin's father was out fighting, his wife died while he was away. All that frustration and guilt poured into his sword and tainted it. Cursed it to wound anyone who used it for hurting another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
OK, I think the problem here is the Sorrow Blade... When you attack with it and cause a wound, you are applying the wound from if
was rolled to Collin, yes?
No, at that point in the story you have the ring that prevents that damage to yourself. The damage I'm applying is the one where you can knock back Vanestra, but if she cannot be knocked back she takes a damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, each attack and any supplemental damage from this attack can only be applied to the card you declared as your target. Should you get to make a 2nd attack that same turn for whatever reason, you may target a 2nd card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
Once again, each attack and any supplemental damage from this attack can only be applied to the card you declared as your target. Should you get to make a 2nd attack that same turn for whatever reason, you may target a 2nd card.
So the knock back damage is just a "guaranteed hit" basically. If you've got Vanestra cornered then you're just rolling attack dice for cheese because you're going to remove the card anyways. Not extremely exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.