Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Endgame scoring.

Question 1:
The word "last" here causes some confusion. It could be interpreted in two ways.

a) The player gets one extra point per step that he/she takes on the tech track after upgrading to the highest ranking power plant (biomass).

b) The player gets one extra point per step that he/she takes on the tech track after the last time he/she upgraded the power plant. Ie it is better to end the game one step short of a new power plant.

I have always played it like option A. Is that correct?

Question 2:
If I have the highest ranking power plant and keep spinning around the track I will get more and more points even though I do not upgrade, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bjorn,

1) The player gets one extra point per step that he/she takes on the progress track after the last time he/she upgraded the power plant. But it is NOT better to end the game one step short of a new power plant. Make the upgrade to # 4, 5 or 6 is always better than to stop at the last space behind (just because this Power Plants have prestige points).

2) yes, there isn't exception. The rule is: one point to each space after the last time you get the upgrade.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
thiagbs wrote:
But it is NOT better to end the game one step short of a new power plant. Make the upgrade to # 4, 5 or 6 is always better than to stop at the last space behind (just because this Power Plants have prestige points).

Hmm...

So if I have a power plant that is worth 4 VP and I advance five steps beyond it, it will technically be worth 4+5 points. Whereas if I choose to go one step more I will get a new power plant that is just worth 6 or so points.

I.e. close to the end it must be better to NOT take that last step. That seems very strange to me.

Or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Power Plants prestige points is an immediate effect. You gain the 4PPs for the Plant 4 and the PPs for the Plant 5 and 6.

Maybe you are missing the energy cubes. You can use them to do best activations. And if there is no more time to activations, remember each 4 cubes gives one more point. 90% of times is worth advance one more step to upgrade again. In 10% you gain nothing (never lose). Then, stop at the upgrade space worth 5 (ie. 4 PPs + 4 cubes) or more points (if you are able to do a 2+ points activation or if you take the number 6 plant). The other spaces gives until 5 points. It is clean now? My english is not so good, sorry, but I will try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ok. I find it a bit counter-intuitive, but I will adapt my strategies to go along with it.

Thanks for a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you a lot! Counter-intuitive seek to walk more on this track? I did not understand your point but it is ok. Very helpful your post. Always you must go ahead. Never is better stop before an upgrade. Best regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am not sure we understand each other here. I will see if I can make a better illustration tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here is an example to better illustrate my point.

Now, one might argue that these cubes could be used to score additional victory points on other tracks, but it still feels counter-intuitive to me. In the example above the net difference is just one VP, but it could be bigger, depending on the powerplant and the number of cubes you currently have.

As I said, I have no problem with the rules being like this. I'll adapt to it. I just wanted to address the issue and see if I understood it correctly..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No... When you upgrade to the 5 Power Plant, you gain 4PPs and cubes, right? Ok. When you upgrade to the 6 Power Plant you gain aditional 6 PPs, more cubes, and do not back the 4 PPs and cubes you received for the # 5 Power Plant. Ok? Then, in situation 2 you received 10 PPs (4+6 PPs instead 4+5 PPs) and more cubes. Right? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ah! Then it makes sense. Sorry about the confusion. Everything is clear now.

Thanks for clarifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! And Ronnie James Dio forever! I am a big heavy metal fan too. Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:

Question 2:
If I have the highest ranking power plant and keep spinning around the track I will get more and more points even though I do not upgrade, right?

Cool, we had this question too. I recently played a heavy progress game where I went past the upgrade space a second time after upgrading to Biomass. We just put a cube down to remind me that I'd get +8 and not +2 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Or take 6 prestige points when you reach the upgrade space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. That is a much better solution. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Popescu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
So at the end scoring, the maximum points to receive after the last power upgrade is 5? Because after the last plant upgrade there are only 5 spaces until you reach the space for upgrade again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
andrewbuc wrote:
So at the end scoring, the maximum points to receive after the last power upgrade is 5? Because after the last plant upgrade there are only 5 spaces until you reach the space for upgrade again.

No, since you do not uppgraderar then, you just keep scoring more points. Like suggestiv above: take 6 prestige points every time you pass the upgrade Point after you have received your last power plant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
andrewbuc wrote:

No, since you do not uppgraderar then, you just keep scoring more points. Like suggestiv above: take 6 prestige points every time you pass the upgrade Point after you have received your last power plant.

After # 3,4 or 5 Power Plant upgrade the answer is yes.
After # 6 Power Plant upgrade you could gain more than 5 points if you continue walking though the circular track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly, the endgame scoring rules say you get one PP "for each space past your last power plant upgrade," so if you move 8 spaces past, you get 8 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am sorry about my incoherent sentences above. They were written on my phone and it always want to auto-correct into Swedish...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 4 player game, there are 4x Level 6 Power Plants. Each has 2 Activations, 3 Cubes. 1 of these L6 plants give 7PP, 3 of these L6 plants give 6PP.

All of these examples are assuming I have the L6 plant (3C/7PP) with 1 cube on it, have gone around the progress track another time, and stopped 2 spaces past the upgrade marker.

1. When passing the upgrade marker, do I get another L6 plant (3C/6PP) or simply keep my existing plant (3C/7PP)? Answer: You do not get another plant, you are not upgrading further.

2. For PP: Do I gain an additional 7PP (my plant), or 6PP (which would be "the next available L6 plant")? Answer: The number of PP gained is due to moving around the progress track - 6PP.

3. For cubes: How many do I gain? 3 (for a total of 4), 2 (Filling the plant back up to 3), or 0 (I'm not getting a new plant)? Answer: 0 - there is no new plant generating power cubes.

4. For final point calculations: Do I count for spaces past my last new plant (8 in this example), or for spaces past my last upgrade space (2 in this example)? Answer: 2 points. You've already received the additional 6PP for passing the upgrade marker (See question 2).

This should clear out any questions people still have (including myself). Some will be irrelevant based on other questions' answers.

Thanks!

Edits: Answering my own questions for others who read this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Trevor!

If you got the Power Plant 6 you gain 1 prestige point for each aditional space you have. It is very simple. You do not upgrade your Plant 6 because there is no Plant 7.
The same happens with other Plants at the end of the game. You gain 1 PPs for each aditional space.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhhhh, I re-read the thread again, understand this much better now.

Because there's no plant to upgrade to (once at Level 6), there's nothing to gain (other than the PP) for further progress on the progress track. You can't upgrade to that which you have, and you can't upgrade laterally (same type of plant). When passing the upgrade marker from that point on, take the 6PP immediately (rather than create an unnecessary method of identifying how many additional laps for scoring at the end).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.