Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Glass Road» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you build over a building? ANSWER: no rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it could be handy. Not mentioned in the rules.

Edit: it was indeed implied from the rulebook you cannot.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you build over a building?
fardoche wrote:
Not mentioned in the rules.


If this is true doesn't it answer your question?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you build over a building?
Actually, the rules state that building tiles cannot be removed at all. (bolding is in the rules, p.8)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you build over a building?
fardoche wrote:
Sometimes it could be handy. Not mentioned in the rules.


it is clearly written on page 9 "how does building work" => "...empty space..."
and later it talks also about updating the start building.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you build over a building?
JonBen wrote:
fardoche wrote:
Not mentioned in the rules.


If this is true doesn't it answer your question?


No. It should be stated you can build over a building or you cannot. It is actually implied it is not allowed based on the useful replies listed below yours.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you build over a building?
fardoche wrote:
JonBen wrote:
fardoche wrote:
Not mentioned in the rules.


If this is true doesn't it answer your question?


No. It should be stated you can build over a building or you cannot. It is actually implied it is not allowed based on the useful replies listed below yours.


In this case the point is moot since the rules do seem to cover it. In general, rulebooks are not a list of the things you cannot do, that would be absurd. There are plenty of things you are not allowed to do that are not covered in the rulebook. I'm assuming your argument is that players may have an expectation from other games that they can build over buildings so this should be explicitly disallowed to avoid confusion.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you build over a building?
Although this is, indeed, implicitly covered by the rules, I'd just like to confirm it offcially: you cannot build over buildings unless you are building an upgrade for a start building that explicitly requires you to build over a specific start building.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you build over a building?
JonBen wrote:
fardoche wrote:
JonBen wrote:
fardoche wrote:
Not mentioned in the rules.


If this is true doesn't it answer your question?


No. It should be stated you can build over a building or you cannot. It is actually implied it is not allowed based on the useful replies listed below yours.


In this case the point is moot since the rules do seem to cover it. In general, rulebooks are not a list of the things you cannot do, that would be absurd. There are plenty of things you are not allowed to do that are not covered in the rulebook. I'm assuming your argument is that players may have an expectation from other games that they can build over buildings so this should be explicitly disallowed to avoid confusion.



Yes, I edited my original post to reflect the answer.

Of course I don't expect a list of forbidden things to do in a game (there would be too many, such as you cannot pay 3 wood with 2 sand). This is understandable from the spirit of the game. On the other hand, a rulebook will not always list everything that is allowed: it is legal to buy a tile when drinking root beer on the back of a blue camel, yet nowhere is it mentionned in the rulebook. But I am digressing.

My main point was that since you can cover printed buildings with tiles, one could legitimately wonder if you can cover bought buildings with tiles too. I don't think this is a far fetched questioning. I admit I missed the part where that was clarified in the rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think your question was unreasonable. My first response was a sincere reply, sorry if it read differently.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Thank you for putting the answer in the subject line.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.