Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Why Cavern Tile but not Dungeon Tile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm really curious to know what makes the designer want to use "Cavern Tile" instead of "Dungeon Tile"? Creating a new name for the tile is really kind of messed up when we are trying to combine 3 games together and create our own adventures/scenario.

I know "thematically" Cavern Tile might sounds more appropriate in LoD but they should've considered that by making a new name is also telling the players that dont mix the tiles together with CR and WoA..

Im not sure whether the designer did made any official answers for this before but please do share with me what's your thoughts on this.

Just want to clarify that I'm not angry or anything, just coming in as a fresh newbie open for discussion as I just bought this for my late-Christmas gift and really looking forward to collect the other 2 in the future. Currently just feeling slightly disappointed with the tile compatibility issue.

Lastly, please share with me some of the "Must Try" custom made scenarios
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hessen
United States
Merrick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it was a bad design decision.
You will always know what kind of tile will be next if you try to mix the two types together in one stack.
After all the game is called Dungeons & Dragons NOT Caverns & Dragons.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Teuber
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever considered putting a piece of cloth over the stack and drawing the tiles from underneath? That way you won't see what comes next while the stack order remains intact and you can even get tiles from the bottom of the stack and put them on top without seeing them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Figilano wrote:
Has anyone ever considered putting a piece of cloth over the stack and drawing the tiles from underneath? That way you won't see what comes next while the stack order remains intact and you can even get tiles from the bottom of the stack and put them on top without seeing them.

Would be easier just to invert the whole stack and draw from the bottom. Yes, you will see the topmost tile, but with encounters and sentries which might cause you to draw it, the draw happens quite randomly so I don't think that it will cause any problems.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bartheus wrote:
Figilano wrote:
Has anyone ever considered putting a piece of cloth over the stack and drawing the tiles from underneath? That way you won't see what comes next while the stack order remains intact and you can even get tiles from the bottom of the stack and put them on top without seeing them.

Would be easier just to invert the whole stack and draw from the bottom. Yes, you will see the topmost tile, but with encounters and sentries which might cause you to draw it, the draw happens quite randomly so I don't think that it will cause any problems.


This is an interesting idea! Would love to try it out
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartheus wrote:
Figilano wrote:
Has anyone ever considered putting a piece of cloth over the stack and drawing the tiles from underneath? That way you won't see what comes next while the stack order remains intact and you can even get tiles from the bottom of the stack and put them on top without seeing them.

Would be easier just to invert the whole stack and draw from the bottom. Yes, you will see the topmost tile, but with encounters and sentries which might cause you to draw it, the draw happens quite randomly so I don't think that it will cause any problems.

But then you would know what the next tile is if you ever got Lost.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also try to use the different visual look to thematic advantage - maybe have an adventure where once you get past a certain part of the regular dungeon, you get to the less-developed "rougher" part that will have you switch to drawing from the cavern stack.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Magnus Maximus wrote:
You might also try to use the different visual look to thematic advantage - maybe have an adventure where once you get past a certain part of the regular dungeon, you get to the less-developed "rougher" part that will have you switch to drawing from the cavern stack.



x2

I had been thinking along these lines as well. It brings a refreshing flavor to the quest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Corlett
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
I brought this without thinking it through
badge
I don't have to explain my art to you
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s what we do – we use specific tiles as transitions between settings… so WoA is often the castle, while CR is the crypt underneath and LoD is the hidden passage to the castle. It allows multistage missions where you get the feeling you’re really traveling between different places.

For example: when we hit the rotten nook or Fetid Den (CR) or a chamber (WoA) we start a cavern coming off of it. In the same way, after drawing ancient battlefield (WoA) or a Arcane circle (CR) we throw down a random 4x4 Dungeon Command tile.
Sometimes it’s the reverse: We start in the Underdark and go hunting for a hidden chamber - looking for drow glyph or broken door that will lead (depending on our made up scenario) to a WoA/CR area, or to some 4x4 Dungeon Command tiles.

It’s awesome to have missions where you’re hunting for a drow outpost, you find the drow sign (maybe have to locate a key or lever first) and then you use the Dungeon command tiles pull out a thematic outpost, complete with the specific jail (free your allies!) and sleeping quarters that the different Dungeon command tiles provide.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus Maximus wrote:
You might also try to use the different visual look to thematic advantage - maybe have an adventure where once you get past a certain part of the regular dungeon, you get to the less-developed "rougher" part that will have you switch to drawing from the cavern stack.



I agree.

I'm currently playing a variant using Blood of Gruumsh and the LoD tiles. So the heroes are exploring the caverns until they come to the Broken Door tile. That leads directly into an enormous underground treasure chamber composed of the Dungeon Command tiles.

Works very well and I'll post a session report soon. I'm still playtesting it for balance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Tel Prydain wrote:
For example: when we hit the rotten nook or Fetid Den (CR) or a chamber (WoA) we start a cavern coming off of it. In the same way, after drawing ancient battlefield (WoA) or a Arcane circle (CR) we throw down a random 4x4 Dungeon Command tile.
Sometimes it’s the reverse: We start in the Underdark and go hunting for a hidden chamber - looking for drow glyph or broken door that will lead (depending on our made up scenario) to a WoA/CR area, or to some 4x4 Dungeon Command tiles.

Nice idea to mix such tiles. You mention "4x4 Dungeon Command tiles", the tiles in DC are either 8x8 or 4x8 so I was wondering what you meant by 4x4 tiles?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Corlett
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
I brought this without thinking it through
badge
I don't have to explain my art to you
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry – it was just a brain melt – I just meant to say that the standard Dungeon Command is 4 D&DAGS tiles… so I should have said each Dungeon Command tile represents 2x2 AGS tiles.

Also, we play the 'rules' for special spaces (some squares block LoS, require additional moves to cross or cause damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.