15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What else do you recommend? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Georgi Todorov
msg tools
Happy New Year to everyone!

I've been reintroduced to board games few weeks ago (via King of Tokyo and Dominion) and decided to get a couple of boxes for my wife and I to play every now and then. We have no kids, and she doesn't really like the war games (no mage wars for us ). So far we have Ticket to Ride Europe with 1912 expansion and we're looking at Carcassonne, Smallworld and Settlers of Catan - probably the 4 most recommended games I've seen in the two weeks of reading and watching the dice tower.

So, what do you recommend for two beginners in board games, mostly 2 player and preferably no war games (competitive is fine).

Thanks and have a great new year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like most of the Kosmos two-player series. And they have the benefit that they're designed for 2 players.

I also like Jaipur, Battle Line, Ingenious and Qwirkle as introductory 2 player games. Ingenious and Qwirkle can both be played with up to 4 players.

If there's a preferred theme (e.g., you love games about tropical islands) or mechanic (you like set collection or pickup and deliver games), we can narrow our suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmb
terahz wrote:

I've been reintroduced to board games few weeks ago (via King of Tokyo and Dominion) and decided to get a couple of boxes for my wife and I to play every now and then. We have no kids, and she doesn't really like the war games (no mage wars for us ). So far we have Ticket to Ride Europe with 1912 expansion and we're looking at Carcassonne, Smallworld and Settlers of Catan - probably the 4 most recommended games I've seen in the two weeks of reading and watching the dice tower.

So, what do you recommend for two beginners in board games, mostly 2 player and preferably no war games (competitive is fine).

Carcassonne plays great out of the box for 2 player. I wouldn't recommend Settlers as a 2p experience.

My wife has really enjoyed BattleCON: Devastation of Indines. Designed primarily as a 2p experience, quick set-up, play, and tear-down means that we can play a hand in 30 minutes or less (great when the baby is down for a nap). A ton of variety in the available characters means that this has fantastic replay value, so a great 2p game if you want to keep your collection small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgi Todorov
msg tools
Hi Kent,

I'll check these out. Thanks!

We don't really have a preferred theme, as we don't know what we like yet Outside of the board game world, fantasy and nature are themes we enjoy.

THz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Newey
United Kingdom
British, but currently in Vancouver, Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Takenoko is superb and works well with two players... my wife and I play it regularly.

Definitely worth checking out, in my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Doguet
France
SAINT SYLVAIN
SEINE MARITIME
flag msg tools
Unaware... Really ?
badge
In case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night !
mbmbmbmbmb
terahz wrote:

I would personally recommend Mr. Jack or Mr. Jack in New York, and a lighter Martinique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive
Tzolk'n The Mayan Calendar
Forbidden Island/Desert
Merchant of Venus
Pentago

If you get Caracssone, be sure to get the new Z-Man version with river expansion included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
terahz wrote:

I just received Indigoas a Christmas gift and played it now with 2,3, and 4 people and found the 2-player game to be best. It's light and quick,and with 3-4 players, involves more luck. With 2 players, however, you have a lot more control with what's going on. I also find it visually nice and the glass (hard plastic?) beads are nice components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is one of my favourite games to play with my lover. It's pretty, playful and fun.

Out of interest is it the theme of combat that she dislikes or is it playing against one another? I only ask as there are some good combatlike games that are cooperatives.

Other games that we regularly enjoy:

Oregon
Fresco
Catan (Strictly speaking this is for 3-4 but we've often enjoyed it as a 2 player... kinda depends on your playstyle.)
Pandemic Cooperative
Castle Panic Cooperative (there is a semi cooperative rule set too).
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aton or Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgi Todorov
msg tools
Wow, so many recommendations and so little overlap I guess I have to sit down and watch/read about the gameplay of these games and decide.

From the description, I think I like Ingenious and Jaipur best. Forbidden Desert and Pandemic also sounds very interesting, but it feels like it will be much better with more than 2 people.

Agricola - I've looked at Caverna as it seems to be the more recent recommendation for a farming type game, but I can't find it for a reasonable price.

Liam, my wife dislikes combat just in general. If there is a coop combat game where she can be a healer/supporter, I can probably get her to play, but if she has to attack, I doubt she'll want to play more than once.

Anyway, thanks for all the recommendations so far.

EDIT: I think we'll just start with Carcassonne and see where that takes us. Maybe one more from the recommended so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP Szakos
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd take a look at Targi, Lost Cities, and San Juan for starters. +1 Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, Jaipur, Carcassonne: South Seas, and Fresco.

Once you get one or two of those under your belt, I'd then consider games like The Castles of Burgundy, Suburbia, and Last Will.

Lastly, I'd highly recommend that you take a look at the Rahdo Run Through videos. This video series is specifically targeted to low-confrontational games for 2 players.

http://www.youtube.com/rahdo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play with my wife and she doesnt like games like mage wars either,she might actually like it but just looking at game play and theme she wont go for it. But strangely enough she really likes to play Claustrophobia Its a light 2 player dungeon crawl/combat game,There are scenarios in a book,random tiles are drawn to create your path to victory while one plays the bad guy with demons and lil troll like figures and the other controls 4 good guys. I think its a great game,only plays 2 players,figures come painted and pretty easy and strait forward to play.

Another favorite of ours is Stone Age and Letters From Whitechapel You might also want to pick up Love Letter for a quick game between longer games,I havent tried a two player game of love letter but thought 4 was too much making the rounds much faster I would say this game is best at 3 players,but its cheap enough "$7.00" to give it a go!

The four games I mentioned is games that the wife and I enjoy so hopefully your wife will feel the same way,But also all the games I mentioned are fairly light and easier to comprehend rules wise.
When we started out I was buying all types of games just based on popularity,top rated,hotness etc. and quickly found some games come with Very Thick Complex Rule Book!

The wife hates reading rules and I have a hard time grasping what they are telling me,so reading rules while playing and thumbing through the book on every turn Killed many games for us. So just a quick tip is to learn your comfort level of complexity then when you look up a game on here you can scroll down the page and they have a box with various ratings from members here and one is Game Weight. I found that games under 3.0 are right for us,but thats just us you might like heavy complicated games and get rules easier than us and the game weight ratings are not the same for everyone. Some might think a game is hard to play and rated it a 4.0 while someone else might think it was easy and rated a 2.5 but for the most part I tend to agree with the ratings. Anyway its just some advice,Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
terahz wrote:
Liam, my wife dislikes combat just in general. If there is a coop combat game where she can be a healer/supporter, I can probably get her to play, but if she has to attack, I doubt she'll want to play more than once.

If you like Tolkien, you might try Lord of the Rings. It's a cooperative game with the players taking the part of the hobbits who are making their way through the various adventures. It's the players against the game. There is conflict, but I'd be hard pressed to call it combat; it's very abstract. If this sounds interesting, the rules are online at http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm.... It's possible that some players could get eliminated; you might try playing with 2 hobbits apiece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords - Base Set or The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game for a coop cardgame very fitting for 2 people.

Lord of the rings lcg is abit more thematic and has better art than the pathfinder, but pathfinder has more character progression and an actual campaign system.

In both games, there can be a healer/quester/problemsolver while the other is the fighter.

Agricola/Caverna (havent tried it yet) would also be one of my top recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.