A World at War» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A Rookie Plays A World At War Axis Summer 1940 Turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This a continuing session report of my solo global campaign game of A World at War. The current turn is Summer 1940. I have to post these turns after the delay with the image glitch at BGG or I will forget what happened.

The Axis tested Greece to see if they wanted to become friends. When the Greeks rebuffed them, Italy declared war on Greece. Then Italy sea transported additional units into Albania to launch the land attack on Greece.

Germany maneuvered its armored units to attempt to create an opportunity to capture Paris during exploitation.

In sub warfare, the Germans sank no transports! The British ASW aborted both German subs and protected the Atlantic convoys.

The Germans transferred naval vessels to their new port in Bergen and launched 2 raiding groups against the Allied shipping. I did this in an attempt to stretch the available British naval defenders, but in retrospect, I think I'll stick to one raiding group per turn.

One German raiding group made it safely to the shipping lanes. The other was forced to fight a significant British naval force.

The unopposed raiding group managed to sink 3 British transports, but I was nervous about what faced the raiding groups when they tried to make it home. The raiding group that had already fought a naval battle was damaged and could now be attacked by slow British naval vessels. On the return trip to Bergen, both raiding groups were forced to fight their way back to port.

The damaged raider group was sunk at sea. The other group managed to limp back into Bergen.

During the Combat Phase, German airpower assisted in the advance toward Paris and Brussels.

Oslo, Norway was also captured after the Germans landed more infantry on the beaches during the Movement Phase. Norway surrendered.

The Italians began fighting their way to Athens.

During Exploitation the Germans attacked Brussels, Paris, and a British infantry unit on the coast. Brussels fell and the British unit was eliminated.

The Germans launched a paradrop on Paris to eliminate the defensive bonus for defending behind a river. The Allies attempted to intercept the paradrop and an air battle ensued.

The Allies were unable to prevent the paradrop and the paratroopers seized critical bridges while the German armor raced to link up with them. After calculating the odds, I determined it would be a 1:1 battle. I needed a good die roll and actually made my wife roll it for me. 4 meant that the result was an EX-1. Both French units were eliminated for a total of 5 factors. A German armored unit and the FJ paras were eliminated to equal the 5 factors. But Paris had fallen!

Japan killed 2 Nationalist Chinese units in attrition in China and eliminated 2 Chinese partisan units. I'm not going to get into too much detail since I'm just trying to catch up right now.

Norway and Belgium fell to the Germans. If Paris isn't recaptured, France will surrender to the Axis at the end of the Allied player turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Tewksbury
United States
Fitchburg
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave - thanks for posting all of this - I've been following along as best I can as I find time to learn this game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. The Paris attack strategy is something I stole from the AWAW Yahoo Group.

The attack across the river allows you to establish a BridgeHead which alleviates post-combat stacking problems. The paradrop attack allows the attacker to ignore the +1 DM penalty for attacking across the river.

I'm currently in Allied Summer 1940. The British are debating declaring war on Italy so they can occupy Crete before Greece falls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elihu Feustel
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
A British DOW on Italy is a grand blunder. Cost 35 BRPs, saves Italy 35 BRPs, and a net 4 different in USAT.

If Italy didn't take Athens on the first turn, they won't have control of Crete when Greece falls. They will have to invade it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daringly wrote:

If Italy didn't take Athens on the first turn, they won't have control of Crete when Greece falls. They will have to invade it.

I don't see how they could possibly conquer Greece on the initial invasion turn. I hadn't seen that rule before, but I am confused by this underligned section of 83.22:

A. If a neutral minor country is conquered in the turn in which it is attacked, all hexes in the minor country pass to the control of the conquering major power at the end of the conquering major power’s player turn, after the redeployment phase, unless occupied by enemy units other than those of the conquered minor country. Normal hex control rules (29.2) govern if a minor country survives the first turn of attack and associates (84.11A) and whenever a minor country’s capital subsequently changes hands (83.23).
B. Minor country islands come under the conquering major power’s control when the minor country is initially conquered, whether on the turn in which the minor country is attacked or later, unless at least one hex of the island is occupied by enemy units other than those of the conquered minor country. This applies to the following islands:
Greece: Lesbos (CC30), Chios (DD29), Andros (EE28) and Crete (GG26, GG27, GG28).
Spain: Balearic Islands (Y15, Y16)
Baltic States: Saare (F39)
Sweden: Gotland (H36)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daringly wrote:
A British DOW on Italy is a grand blunder. Cost 35 BRPs, saves Italy 35 BRPs, and a net 4 different in USAT.

Grand blunder, eh? Sounds right up my alley! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

It's what Winston would have wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is pretty funny. I'm less interested in playing a perfect game than exploring options. It would be fun to see a game where Russia declares war on Finland and Sweden while the Axis invades Turkey.

I keep longing to invade Turkey. Weird? Might be fun...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
boyinblue1 wrote:
You're welcome. The Paris attack strategy is something I stole from the AWAW Yahoo Group.

The attack across the river allows you to establish a BridgeHead which alleviates post-combat stacking problems. The paradrop attack allows the attacker to ignore the +1 DM penalty for attacking across the river.

I'm currently in Allied Summer 1940. The British are debating declaring war on Italy so they can occupy Crete before Greece falls.

I came across the Paris attack strategy too late, so the Germans couldn't hold onto the capital in my game. It looks like your Germans will need all the air power they can amass to defend Paris though. Good luck!

Aside, I am keen on exploring if there are other sustainable (probably less efficient, but still fun) ways of taking down Paris, so that the game doesn't become too scripted apart from the typical "take-down-Poland-in-one-turn" opening

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think there were 2 4o6 armored units remaining in Paris and the French were unable to launch an attack at greater than 1:2 odds to retake Paris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Valer
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AWAW really begins once Paris falls. The Axis can then attempt any number of strategies and/or feints. So, the first four turns should be fairly 'scripted' in terms of outcome, but not necessarily in terms of details. Paris does need to fall by Su40 or Fa40, at the latest. Overall BRP efficiency (on both sides) in taking Paris is important and may have continuing impact long into the game.

Ratio wrote:
boyinblue1 wrote:

I came across the Paris attack strategy too late, so the Germans couldn't hold onto the capital in my game. It looks like your Germans will need all the air power they can amass to defend Paris though. Good luck!

Aside, I am keen on exploring if there are other sustainable (probably less efficient, but still fun) ways of taking down Paris, so that the game doesn't become too scripted apart from the typical "take-down-Poland-in-one-turn" opening
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boyinblue1 wrote:
B. Minor country islands come under the conquering major power’s control when the minor country is initially conquered, whether on the turn in which the minor country is attacked or later, unless at least one hex of the island is occupied by enemy units other than those of the conquered minor country. This applies to the following islands:
Greece: Lesbos (CC30), Chios (DD29), Andros (EE28) and Crete (GG26, GG27, GG28).
Spain: Balearic Islands (Y15, Y16)
Baltic States: Saare (F39)
Sweden: Gotland (H36)

I read this rule as follows:
- Neutral minor countries which are not conquered in the first turn of attack associate with an enemy major power. Conquering these countries after their association therefore do not automatically yield hex control to the conquering major power;
- The treatment for minor country islands differs in that the minor country's island hexes do not automatically associate with an enemy major power if the minor country is not conquered in the first turn of attack. This means that the attacking major power can establish automatic control of the minor country's island hexes as soon as it conquers the minor country (regardless of when that happens), except for island hexes which have been occupied by enemy units prior to the conquest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But it is complicated by the fact that Italy is a neutral major power, so Greece wouldn't associate with the Western Allies unless Britain declared war on Italy.

84.22 ATTACKS BY NEUTRAL MAJOR POWERS: Minor countries which survive the first turn of attack by a major power which is not yet at war with an opposing alliance faction do not associate and instead fight independently, moving at the same time as their potential major power allies. Subject to the exceptions listed in 84.21, such independent minor countries automatically associate if an opposing alliance faction goes to war with the attacking major power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
boyinblue1 wrote:
It is pretty funny. I'm less interested in playing a perfect game than exploring options.

Perfect - that is what I like in a learning/teaching session - to test the system and knowledge of it, you have to go Crazy Ambitious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boyinblue1 wrote:
But it is complicated by the fact that Italy is a neutral major power, so Greece wouldn't associate with the Western Allies unless Britain declared war on Italy.

84.22 ATTACKS BY NEUTRAL MAJOR POWERS: Minor countries which survive the first turn of attack by a major power which is not yet at war with an opposing alliance faction do not associate and instead fight independently, moving at the same time as their potential major power allies. Subject to the exceptions listed in 84.21, such independent minor countries automatically associate if an opposing alliance faction goes to war with the attacking major power.

Ok, I see what you mean and intend to do now. Yeah, I would probably do the same as you are planning, but use France to declare war instead of Britain.

This way, if France does surrender, the Western Allies would have successfully declared war on Italy as per your intent, but Britain wouldn't need to incur the BRP cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratio wrote:
boyinblue1 wrote:

Ok, I see what you mean and intend to do now. Yeah, I would probably do the same as you are planning, but use France to declare war instead of Britain.

This way, if France does surrender, the Western Allies would have successfully declared war on Italy as per your intent, but Britain wouldn't need to incur the BRP cost.

Unfortunately since my session report is backed up, France is already gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.