Subject: Russian Railroads Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
I have to say that the Russian Railroads rule book is one of the best I have ever come across. It leads you through the various facets of the game logically and coherently and helps you get into the game much faster than most rule books I have come across.

I wish more games had such cleverly-written rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. It's a great rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Fred
msg tools
richiebabes wrote:
I have to say that the Russian Railroads rule book is one of the best I have ever come across. It leads you through the various facets of the game logically and coherently and helps you get into the game much faster than most rule books I have come across.

I wish more games had such cleverly-written rules!

I agree, but the cleverly written rules that need just a little FAQ (which is quite a feat given their number of pages) are the original german ones. The english version has lost in translation significantly IMO.

The english rules, while producing no contradiction within their closed system produce different kinds of how to play on some instances. If you look through the threads of RRR that covers questions, most of them can be answered by reading the original rules.

Note that I think this is a brilliant game with superior components and great use of icons, but it seems that translations of game-manuals should be done by people that are aware of how to play that games (admittedly a demanding task!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
I don't read German and found the game easy to get into just reading the English rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Fred
msg tools
richiebabes wrote:
I don't read German and found the game easy to get into just reading the English rules.

As I said, there is no problem within each language set of rules.

But when the german rules say you have to do something and the english rules say you may do something by putting workers on the same action space, this leads to different conclusions and sort of games (but no problem to play per se).

It's like translated chess rules forget to tell that pawns may move two spaces from their original space. Then we play with pawns always moving one space only. This is no problem, but it is a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the rule book even asked you to take a break halfway through from reading it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the rules do provide an exceptionally fine narrative description of how the game works.

As Pogger points out, it is unfortunate that the English rules have some mistranslations. They don't detract from the quality of the game or significantly diminish from what is otherwise a wonderful presentation. It is fortunate that one can download the German rules to clarify the cases that are ambiguous in the English.

When consulting the rules during play, however, I have found that they are not as ideal as a reference (i.e., when looking up a specific point) as they were when reading through them in their entirety. Even as a reference, they are superior to the rules of another recent game, Caverna, which were written even more as a narrative and less as a reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
Even as a reference, they are superior to the rules of another recent game, Caverna, which were written even more as a narrative and less as a reference.
Was that a rulebook? I thought it was the next book of "Lord of the Rings: the return of the Dwarfs".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.