Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was browsing through all the card games on Apple's app store a few days ago and came across a game called "Shelter" It looks like the "Walking Dead" card game that should have been. Now, to be clear, there is nothing copyright infringing in the game at all, but the artwork is VERY reminiscent of the popular zombie apocalypse comic series.

The mechanics of the game suit the setting quite well, and the setup is pretty simple. You have a row where the computer plays zombie cards. Some zombie cards come out automatically and some require the computer to roll a d6 and get above a certain number to bring it out that turn. This adds some mystery to what the computer is going to play, since you get to look at the the zombie hand whenever you want to see what is eventually coming at you.

Then between you and the zombies is a row of barrier cards, which each have a armor number and a starting HP number, and some zombies have to decrease the armor each turn before doing any actual damage to that card, while some have the "piercing" ability that allows it to ignore armor.

Then there is the row where you play your cards. You have a starting HP value at the top of the screen and then a number of action points you get each turn depending on the characters you are playing that game with. Playing cards uses a certain number of AP, such as guns that are first played in a slot in front of you. Then you can also spend AP to fire a gun that has been played, as long as you have the ammo and there are zombies in the required range (some guns can only shoot far, some can only shoot close, and some can shoot both.)

The object of the game is to pick off all of the zombies in the computer's deck before you lose all of your HP, and the barrier cards slow them down, as they have to get through them first, and when a zombie destroys a barrier card, it takes that cards spot (which is "short range" and will start doing it's damage to your HP starting the next turn until you kill it.

I'll write more on the game and put up some images of it in action later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a lot like Plants vs Zombies, but without the plants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that it's a paid app - $1.99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Repeating Kits
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
“…that you've probably never heard of...”

Clickbait coming to forums now.

You’ll never believe what happens next! 10 reasons it will change your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
repeatingkits wrote:

I think this comment is misdirected. Tiger has been around for a while and regularly posts news about his findings in the App Store and elsewhere, which I appreciate. He's not baiting you at all.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/browse/region/1?username...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
repeatingkits wrote:

I think this comment is misdirected. Tiger has been around for a while and regularly posts news about his findings in the App Store and elsewhere, which I appreciate. He's not baiting you at all.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/browse/region/1?username...

Thanks! And you are correct. I am in no way affilliated with the developer of this game at all. I just didn't know how to respond civilly to what Kits posted.

But yeah, I only put the "that you've probably never heard of" bit because the game almost completely passed me by, and I am an AVID browser of iOS games and a bloodhound when it comes to finding decent new board and card games on the app store.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barnes
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
After nearly 2 years Christopher Roberts has suddenly started updating this game again. He has ported it over to the Unity engine and it now allows you to save multiple deck builds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.