Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Markey
United States
Lebanon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group really enjoyed this one, but we did run into a few questions as we played.

1) In the expansion, there's a tile that's a squeeze (II) and a water hazard. What does it cost to move into this tile and take both the squeeze and water tokens?

Our best guess was 4 AP: Three AP to move into the squeeze (and take that token) and one AP (plus one oxygen) to take the water token. The reasoning was that since you're already on the water tile it's the same as being on a water tile in a boat-- one AP instead of two to explore. The team did have a boat, if it matters. But we recognize that you could interpret the rules so that it would be 5 AP; three to move into the squeeze and two to move into and explore a water area.

2) Once it's all said and done, how many AP do I spend to repack my tent and backpack at home base?

We played it as three AP, but after reading the rules at the publisher's site, I'm pretty sure it should have been 5. Either the rulebook was updated or we really read it wrong.

3) If you run out of consumables in your pack, but have them in your packed tent, what happens?

We played it as you could set up your camp before using the consumable, but this was mostly because it was our first game. I'm guessing we should have had no option but crawling blindly back to base camp.

4) How many spaces are there between base camp and the starting tile exits?

We played it as one space, but this would be the only diagonal movement in the game. Perhaps it's meant to be 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how we play (for many of your question there's not a clear answer in the rules IIRC)

mikepmarkey wrote:

1) In the expansion, there's a tile that's a squeeze (II) and a water hazard. What does it cost to move into this tile and take both the squeeze and water tokens?

4 AP if you use the boat (and don't take the water token), 5 if you explore, otherwise there wouldn't be any difference in between the two choices

mikepmarkey wrote:

2) Once it's all said and done, how many AP do I spend to repack my tent and backpack at home base?

At home base we just spend the AP for repacking the backback (which comprises also the tent repack)

mikepmarkey wrote:

3) If you run out of consumables in your pack, but have them in your packed tent, what happens?

Question already arisen many times. Strictly you should crawl home. But house rules (an mine too) permit to spend all 5 AP to make your camp and eat in the next turn.

mikepmarkey wrote:

4) How many spaces are there between base camp and the starting tile exits?

One, for us. it's actually, as you said, the only legal diagonal movement in the game

hope this can help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is how we play (for many of your question there's not a clear answer in the rules IIRC)

mikepmarkey wrote:

4 AP if you use the boat (and don't take the water token), 5 if you explore, otherwise there wouldn't be any difference in between the two choices

mikepmarkey wrote:

At home base we just spend the AP for repacking the backback (which comprises also the tent repack)

1. You can enter the tile with three actions to compensate for the II squeeze. At that point you can spend two more actions (and oxygen) to scuba and get the scuba points, or ignore it. You can do it on the same turn or a different one. Lake scuba action is always optional and you can just enter/exit the tile like normal if you have a raft.

2. At camp, according to camp card and rules/clarifications in past threads:
- Spend two points unpacking tent
- Refill everything with two points
- Spend one more point to pack tent

So it basically takes a whole turn to "reset" your packed tent/backpack at camp to full capacity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branam
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikepmarkey wrote:
Our group really enjoyed this one, but we did run into a few questions as we played.

We had an issue with that tile also. The official rules for those tiles are located here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87119/the-cave-expansion-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Huerta
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a meat popcicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Demon wrote:
mikepmarkey wrote:

We had an issue with that tile also. The official rules for those tiles are located here:

Haha ya the argument over that darn tile!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Demon wrote:
mikepmarkey wrote:

Thanks for posting that link - I ordered the tiles a couple of weeks ago from BGG store and those rules did not come with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.