United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm not a player, I just crush alot.
badge
Can you feel the Heat?
mbmbmbmbmb
While gleefully driving home after leaving work early on New Year’s Eve, I sent out the Bat-Signal to see which of my gamer friends would like to enjoy some low-key festivities at my apartment. The plan was to bust out some of the awesome new games we got for the holidays like Firefly, Takenoko, Resistance: Avalon, and Terra Mystica. That was the plan. We played Tsuro and Forbidden Island once each! They were sandwiched by four great games of Sentinels of the Multiverse that brung in the New Year with tons of “Bam!” some “Kapow!” and quite a few “Thwack!”s.

My girlfriend Amanda and I were hosting this shindig while playing, which meant I was not as focused on the turn by turn plays of the game as I normally am. This will be a little different from my other session reports. Three different people learned how to play in different games, and I want to focus on the teaching and learning experience, which I found to be overwhelmingly positive. After this session I logged into BGG and hovered over my rating of SotM for awhile, contemplating and almost giving it a perfect ten.

The first game of the night ended up being a two player affair. My friend Luciano and I used to play Magic: the Gathering semi-competitively for a few years. When I explained the game to him, he was interested, and he insisted we try our first game with only two heroes. He chose Scholar and I grabbed Tempest then carefully selected Ambuscade. We had a fun yet tense battle where we looked to be on the verge of victory and defeat several times before pulling things out in the end.

Luciano understood the rules of the game fairly easily, and when he started to ask questions regarding strategy we were able to discuss the game using many of the same terms we used to discuss strategy in other games. For instance, he asked me about ongoing cards and I was able to quickly explain the extrinsic drawbacks of unlimited ongoing cards by warning him that there were “board sweepers” (the Magic term for cards that destroy all of a type of card in play) in different villain and environment decks. We also had a lot of fun finding the synergies between Scholar and Tempest, and his interest seemed to grow after our first play.

For the second game, my girlfriend Amanda and our friend Derek arrived, both multiverse veterans. We decided to take a shot at advanced Ambuscade with Ra, Haka, and Legacy. I handed Absolute Zero to Luciano, and it ended up being the perfect choice for his style of play. He finds a Rube Goldberg type deck very appealing, and he enjoyed keeping track of how Ra and Legacy’s damage boosting effects increased his final damage output multiple times. I actually nearly killed him with Imbued Fire, but we were able to get a handle on things when he finally got Null-Point Calibration Unit online and shortly after we took down Ambuscade for the second time in a row.

Our next two plays were after a dinner break, and the two aforementioned games which were a little less time and table space consuming. After an entrance and an exit, I decided to suit up as Absolute Zero for the first time joined by Haka (Derek) and the Fanatic (Amanda). The Scholar was chosen by our newest player Jess, who you could describe as more of a casual board gamer than the rest of us but certainly no less skilled, she’s definitely kicked and saved my butt before in other games we’ve played. Omnitron was unleashing his robot army on the unsuspecting dinosaurs of Insula Primalis, and we answered the call.

I don’t mind facing Baron Blade, but I do feel that both Ambuscade and Omnitron are better suited to be introductory villains, and are more likely to lead to a “fun” play experience for first timers. Unfortunately, the villain didn’t matter for the rookie, as a first turn Don’t Dismiss Anything was very beneficial to the team but forced her to discard her entire hand to Know When to Turn Loose. She struggled with her low hand size but was still found ways to make an impact, and we were handling ‘Tron without much trouble.

I related to Jess that my first experience was similarly frustrating and thankfully the game moved quickly enough to keep things fun. Having three “tanks” in play allowed me more than enough time to set up the bomb with Zero, and I believe in the final turn I ended up doing well over 20 damage with one power to finish the fight.

Derek insisted we turn up the intensity for what was going to be our last battle of the night and first of the new year. He called out Voss, but I balked when he suggested we fight him on Wagner. We had only played there once, our very first game, and there was good reason we hadn’t been back yet. After some reluctance, Fanatic returned, I played Legacy, and Derek chose the Visionary. Jess took up the mantle of Tachyon for her second go.

Voss and Wagner were tough as nails. They really seemed to enjoy being teamed up as well. Multiple times we felt like we had finally shifted the momentum back into our favor, only to have all of our hard work reversed by the end of the the villain’s turn. Jess’ friend Will joined us about midway through game, and after a brief explanation and a few minutes of observation, they ended up playing the quickest woman on earth together.

Watching Will learn to play was very interesting. After taking in the state of the game, he began sorting his hand separating useful from useless and dismissing cards that weren’t currently effective. Both Luciano and I did similar things while we were learning, and I found out later that Will had played some Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon when he was younger. I think anyone who’s experienced playing pre-constructed decks knows the feeling of having crappy cards you’re used to sifting through to figure out what you really want to play. In my opinion, there is little to no filler in any of the hero decks and it is perhaps my favorite thing about Sentinels.

Now on my twelfth game, I had learned a few things about safely traversing the Multiverse, and one of them was not to take any card for granted. There are situational cards, but I feel that the game rewards you for keeping your options open. We almost learned that lesson the hard way as after many rounds of superhuman combat, our heroes were all struggling to stay upright but managing to control Voss’ forces. That was until he prepared a Forced Deployment which threatened to bring 9 minions out of his trash, and then for good measure, he left Visionary at 1 HP at the end of his turn. Unfortunately, Derek discarded a Brain Burn on turn 1 after quickly (and regretfully) dismissing it as useless, so we were left with only one choice. We needed to deal 37 damage in one final round for all the marbles.

I Thokked Voss for 3 and was able to boost everyone’s damage by two with Legacy but then had to pass my turn and hope it would be enough. Tachyon raced around Voss landing a massive Lightspeed Barrage for nineteen damage. Visionary Demoralized the evil alien conqueror for another three then allowed Fanatic to dig two cards deeper into her deck. Amanda was trying to calculate how much damage she could do when she realized the last card she had drawn, Smite the Transgressor was perfect. She punched Voss in the face for 4, left him reeling with a devastating Excorcism for 6, and ended the Grand Warlord with a mighty swing of Absolution for five damage, just enough to incapacitate him.

After a thrilling ending we finally called it a night and said goodbye to last year. Sentinels of the Multiverse has continued to impress me with it’s overall quality. The game is very easy to learn, has a ton of strategic depth, and executes it’s flavor and “feel” as well as any game I’ve ever played. I predict 2014 will be full of Multiverse battles and more heroes to help fight more villains. It should be a great year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Sentinels, too. Have you seen the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Hamid
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm not a player, I just crush alot.
badge
Can you feel the Heat?
mbmbmbmbmb
arenson9 wrote:
I love Sentinels, too. Have you seen the expansions?

I have! Right after my first session I ordered Ambuscade, The Scholar, and Silver Gulch. I was so happy with what they add to the game that I ordered the other 3 mini-expansions that hopefully will arrive any day now. I've held off on the bigger expansions, but I'm eyeing the Infernal Relics/Rook City double box as my next purchase.

I'm also going to try to figure out the best way to get the promos printed out through Artscow or something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.