Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What game stood out the most to you in 2013 and why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
(cough)shouldbeageeklist(cough)
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nueroshima Hex. Although it's an old game, I was reluctant to get it because I was unsure about how fun it would be. Now that I have it it has become one of my favorite games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Matusiak
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
You know what my days used to be like? I just tested. Nobody murdered me. Or put me in a potato. Or fed me to birds. I had a pretty good life. And then you showed up. You dangerous, mute lunatic. So you know what? You win. Just go. Don't come back.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Duke stood out as far and away the best abstract that came out in 2013. Where other game categories had, for me, quite a nice spread at the top, the Duke made the biggest impact within its sub category.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark and Madeira I think

I haven't played Madeira nearly enough to fully appreciate all the options available yet, but L&C is such a clever blend of game mechanisms which all work seamlessly together. Every game we've played has been so so tight and there is certain no single wining strategy: I love the asynchronous turns as the game unfolds. Player 1 might camp three times in the time player 2 only camps once.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilde Vandierendonck
Belgium
zemst
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo. I love the theme, the gameplay and the artwork. Although I haven't played Madeira yet. That could also be a winner.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dierenh wrote:
Rococo. I love the theme, the gameplay and the artwork. Although I haven't played Madeira yet. That could also be a winner.


I think I've just found next Monday's game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Navajo Wars

I seem to have become a fanboy.

Edit: Thought I'd better add the why.

Wonderful board (glad they mounted it), great tutorials, innovative theme, sheep are important, innovative AI, immersive, a little bit of a tech tree, and important familial ties. I rage when the green cubes emerge, find happiness when i get a hold of guns, feel sadness when a family is caught, and curse when the enemy subverts my people.

It is highly procedural, with good reason, tough to learn, and I continuously have to refer to the rules.

But well worth it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quintious .
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Robinson Crusoe

I find myself usually resistant towards full-on co-op games that don't even have a traitor element in them (unless I'm breaking someone in to the hobby). This game delivered on absolutely everything I wanted, and then some. As I had just gotten into the hobby the last year or so, I wasn't even aware that I was incredibly lucky to even find a copy just laying about for sale. It has drawn accolades from almost everybody in all of my gaming groups, from Euro cubepushing fanatics all the way to Munchkin-and-below quasi-gamer types and everything in between.


Not a 2013 game, but for sheer enjoyment, it's Merchant of Venus. What an absolutely mindblowingly awesome game. Know it's not new, but it was new to me.

And of course a shout-out has to go to Red Dragon Inn, which was my gateway game into the hobby this past March as we walked by a demo of it at PAX and sat down only as an excuse to rest our feet....unaware that we were about to dive headfirst into a journey of the hobby.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Railroads

Last night we played our second game of this and it's a winner - definite Game of the Year material if you're into medium-to-heavy-weight eurogames.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A Study in Emerald

A great mix of deck building, area control and hidden identity, and hidden teams by Martin Wallace.

And steampunk, Sherlock Holmes, Moriarty, zombies and vampires.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
A Study in Emerald

A great mix of deck building, area control and hidden identity, and hidden teams.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilde Vandierendonck
Belgium
zemst
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
dierenh wrote:
Rococo. I love the theme, the gameplay and the artwork. Although I haven't played Madeira yet. That could also be a winner.


I think I've just found next Monday's game



oops, caught
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dunkley
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons Beautiful art and components combined with huge replay value, discovering new combos is always fun, this is a game I will always play and never turn down. Bonus; my wife enjoys it to!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Elegant, challenging, simple, beautiful, variable ... everything a great game needs in one (oversized) box. A "10" in my book.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek Attack Wing

It has inspired me to re-watch all of Star Trek!
The game is a lot of thematic fun!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For strictly 2013 games, I'm very excited about Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia - I haven't had the chance to play it a lot since it made it here on the 23rd of December, but I am liking what I see a lot. I have also enjoyed Viticulture (also from Stonemaier) - it has been a hit with my group. And I like the elegant simplicity of Rialto - it seems to be underappreciated among the sheer magnificence of the Feld offer, but I can't help but marvel at how well it ticks (if only you didn't have to shuffle as much...).

On the not-2013-but-bought-2013 camp I should definitely mention Keyflower. Had this in the radar for a while, and got it a few months back. Really awesome game, and my GF loves it, which is always a plus. Would be my personal winner for the year.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My choice is 1775: Rebellion.

This is such a great game. Components and map are outstanding. Rule book easy to read and understand. Gameplay is tense and exciting. There is a ton of replayability.

This is one of my favorite games. I can play solo or with my group. Doesnt matter. But I will play it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
Keyflower- Loved the mechanism of every player bidding with the same color meeples, while also being able to use the tiles being bid on.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apenheul
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was quite surprised myself, but the game that stood out to me most was Ticket to Ride: Europe. For a long time I had written off this game because it was family oriented, even store owners who knew my taste said it probably wouldn't afford enough strategic depth and meaningful choice for me to enjoy. I had my mind set on Trains instead which seemed like the best of both worlds between Ticket to Ride and Dominion. However, the day before New Year's Eve I bought the game on a whim because I just wanted to play a game that evening that's equally fun for different age groups and I must say that I've never played a game as frequently in a span of just three days as Ticket to Ride Europe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter

It was everywhere and everyone loved it. The effects of its popularity were certainly felt throughout the industry as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
That I saw, Love Letter didn't get much traction in the groups around here. It appeared and disappeared equally quickly. I've not seen a copy for several months now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How much LoW gets ripped on and then watch how well it works as a gateway game with new players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quintious wrote:

Robinson Crusoe

I find myself usually resistant towards full-on co-op games that don't even have a traitor element in them (unless I'm breaking someone in to the hobby). This game delivered on absolutely everything I wanted, and then some. As I had just gotten into the hobby the last year or so, I wasn't even aware that I was incredibly lucky to even find a copy just laying about for sale. It has drawn accolades from almost everybody in all of my gaming groups, from Euro cubepushing fanatics all the way to Munchkin-and-below quasi-gamer types and everything in between.


Not a 2013 game, but for sheer enjoyment, it's Merchant of Venus. What an absolutely mindblowingly awesome game. Know it's not new, but it was new to me.

And of course a shout-out has to go to Red Dragon Inn, which was my gateway game into the hobby this past March as we walked by a demo of it at PAX and sat down only as an excuse to rest our feet....unaware that we were about to dive headfirst into a journey of the hobby.



That was an amazingly cool story! Thanks for sharing how you got into board gaming this past year, and a belated welcome to BGG!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
That I saw, Love Letter didn't get much traction in the groups around here. It appeared and disappeared equally quickly. I've not seen a copy for several months now.


Hi Clearclaw! You didn't post what game stood out the most to you in 2013. How about it? Having read many of your posts last year, I'd much rather know what caught your eye than why you disagree with what caught someone else's eye.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katja Heetland
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Ryuu wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
That I saw, Love Letter didn't get much traction in the groups around here. It appeared and disappeared equally quickly. I've not seen a copy for several months now.


Hi Clearclaw! You didn't post what game stood out the most to you in 2013. How about it? Having read many of your posts last year, I'd much rather know what caught your eye than why you disagree with what caught someone else's eye.


He's a professional contrarian. Its not about what he likes. But about why he dislikes/disagrees with what other people like/saw/did/heard.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.