Subject: Custom Hero - Spectrum - please help me finish the design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea for a hero and have got to a certain point with working out the character in terms of a Sentinels deck, but I have some significant gaps and I’d like to ask for some help from the SotM BGG community.

The hero is called Spectrum. He has the capacity to produce a coloured aura from the colours of the rainbow, each colour giving a different power. Red gives strength, yellow gives protection from damage, blue gives flight and violet gives a ranged energy blast. Red and yellow can be combined to give orange, granting a reduced version of red and yellow, and so on for green and indigo. However colours separated by more than one colour cannot be combined, so red cannot be combined with blue, for example.

With that in place, this is what I have so far – please help me round it off.

Hero: Spectrum
Name: Unknown

Icon: Rainbow stripes

Backstory: Little is known about the man calling himself Spectrum, not least to himself. He has no memory of who or what he is from before about a month ago, when he woke up alone by the side of an isolated road with no knowledge of who he was or how he came to be there. He quickly discovered that at will he can produce a glowing aura from within himself, and through trial and error has established that by varying the colour he gains different abilities. How he came by these abilities is a mystery – was he born with them? Was he in an accident, or experimented on? Is he human? He doesn’t know. But someone must know. Perhaps that someone left him for dead by the side of the road. The man called Spectrum travels from town to town, city to city; looking for some clue to his origin.

Active Power: Shine
Search through deck for an Aura. Play that Aura.

Inactive Power:
1. Select a hero. That hero is healed by 1 damage.

Cards:

Red Aura – Quantity 3
Ongoing, Aura

Discard all blue or violet auras from play.
You may discard any yellow auras from play.
If at least one yellow aura is in play, increase melee damage by 1.
If only red auras are in play, increase melee damage by 2 for each red aura.
If three or more auras are in play at the end of the hero turn, Spectrum takes 1 point of irreducible energy damage for each aura in play [in excess of 3?].

Flavour text:

Yellow Aura – Quantity 3
Ongoing, Aura

Discard all violet auras from play.
You may discard any red or blue auras from play.
If at least one red or blue aura is in play, decrease damage done to Spectrum by 1, excluding damage from excess auras.
If only yellow auras are in play, decrease damage done to Spectrum by 2, excluding damage from excess auras, for each yellow aura.
If three or more auras are in play at the end of the hero turn, Spectrum takes 1 point of irreducible energy damage for each aura in play [in excess of 3?].

Flavour text:

Blue Aura – Quantity 3
Ongoing, Aura

Discard all red auras from play.
You may discard any yellow or violet auras from play.
Power: Flight
If at least one yellow or violet aura is in play, Spectrum may deal 1 target 2 melee damage.
If only blue auras are in play, Spectrum may deal 1 target 4 melee damage, or X targets 2 melee damage, where X is the number of yellow auras in play.

Flavour text:

Violet Aura – Quantity 3
Ongoing, Aura

Discard all red or yellow auras from play.
You may discard any blue auras from play.
Power: Blast
If at least one blue aura is in play, Spectrum may deal 1 target 2 energy damage.
If only violet auras are in play, Spectrum may deal 1 target 4 energy damage, or X targets 2 energy damage, where X is the number of violet auras in play.

Flavour text:

Energy Nova – Quantity 1
One shot

Discard all played auras.
Spectrum deals 1 energy damage per card discarded from play to each non villain target.
Spectrum deals 3 energy damage per card discards from play to each villain target.
Discard down to one card in hand.
If six auras are discarded from play in this way, Spectrum is incapacitated [and loses all memory of himself?]

Flavour text: BOOOM!!

Heroic Effort – Quantity 3
One shot

Destroy one environment card.
Discard one played aura card.

Flavour text:

Focus – Quantity 2
One shot

Search Spectrum’s hero trash and bring one card into hand. Shuffle the trash into the deck.

Flavour text:

Extend aura – Quantity 3
One shot

Take an aura from Spectrum’s play area and play it alongside another target. That target received the benefit of that aura until the start of Spectrum’s next turn. Discard that aura at the start of Spectrum’s next turn. This aura counts against Spectrum’s limit of 3 auras when calculating damage.

Flavour text:

Healing glow – Quantity 3
One shot

Discard all played auras.
The target of each aura heals 2 damage per aura discarded.

Flavour text: Um. You’ve just started sparkling. Should you be doing that?

Punch – Quantity 4
One shot

Spectrum deals 1 target 1 melee damage.

Flavour text:

Kick – Quantity 2
One shot

Spectrum deals 1 target 2 melee damage.

Flavour text:

Prismatic Spray – Quantity 3
One shot

Prismatic spray can only be played if at least one violet aura is in play.
Destroy an ongoing card

Flavour text:

Strobe – Quantity 3
One shot

Choose up to three targets. Those targets may not attack until the start of Spectrum’s next turn.

Flavour text: I can’t see! I can’t see!!

4 additional cards?

I think there’s an interesting hero in here somewhere, but I’ve run out of cards to fill out the deck. Punch and Kick are too similar, and I worry that some of the stackable powers are a bit overpowered. Ideas welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Things to remember, which will help clean things up:
1. "discard from play" is "Destroy"
2. Each cards effects are separate. As-written, having 3 Auras in play will deal Spectrum 3x3 Irreducible Energy damage. If that's not the intent, you just need to remove "for each Aura in play"
3. "Attack" is not a thing. You probably mean "Deal damage"

It's probably clearer to make the powers separate eg.
"Power: Deal 1 target 2 Energy damage
Power: If there are no non-Indigo Auras in play, deal 1 target 4 Energy damage
Power: If there are no non-Indigo Auras in play, deal x targets 2 Energy damage (where x is the number of Auras in play)"
Still quite complicated, but clearer.

Healing Glow- what targets? Does this mean you choose a target for each, or that it normally heals Spectrum, but could heal others if you've used Extend Aura?

Punch and Kick are certainly too similar. Perhaps Punch could become a multi-target card?

Maybe an Ongoing that has minor effects any time an Aura is destroyed? Possibly a different effect for each colour? Indigo could deal 1 target 1Energy, Yellow could heal a HP, etc.

Red seems like the hardest to use. There's not a way I can see to have it pay off in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting.

Jlerpy wrote:

I'm trying to convey moving a played card to the trash, instead of discarding from hand. I certainly don't want to destroy any cards, so I guess if I just say 'discard' and drop the 'from play' that should do it.

Quote:
2. Each cards effects are separate. As-written, having 3 Auras in play will deal Spectrum 3x3 Irreducible Energy damage. If that's not the intent, you just need to remove "for each Aura in play"

That's a bit much. I'd forgotten there would be three auras in play when the damage cost was triggered. I'm not sure whether it should be three or four auras which trigger the damage cost, as managing the auras is part of the fun. How about '1 irreducible energy damage for each aura in play', starting at four auras.

Quote:
3. "Attack" is not a thing. You probably mean "Deal damage"

Definitely what I meant.

Quote:
Power: If there are no non-Indigo Auras in play, deal x targets 2 Energy damage (where x is the number of Auras in play)"

I'm aiming for a wording which has an ongoing effect which is greater if only auras of one colour are played, but still present at a reduced level if auras of more than one colour are in play.

I did think about having energy blast as a one shot, but it makes more sense to have it as a power, I think.

Quote:
Healing Glow- what targets? Does this mean you choose a target for each, or that it normally heals Spectrum, but could heal others if you've used Extend Aura?

The idea was that Spectrum would heal himself, but then I got to thinking about how that ability would interact with Extend aura. Basically not choose a target, but instead heal whoever the aura was around.

Quote:
Punch and Kick are certainly too similar. Perhaps Punch could become a multi-target card?

Possible. If I can get enough good card ideas that's an area which could be trimmed a bit.

Quote:
Maybe an Ongoing that has minor effects any time an Aura is destroyed? Possibly a different effect for each colour? Indigo could deal 1 target 1Energy, Yellow could heal a HP, etc.

I like that. I'll have a think about what that could be. Maybe card management of some kind. Spectrum is meant to be in full control of his powers, so draw two cards and put them back in any order, orput one into trash or something, might help.

Quote:
Red seems like the hardest to use. There's not a way I can see to have it pay off in the same turn.

I don't think it will. It was meant to combine with Punch/Kick One shots by increasing strength. I can't think of a power to put on that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle G wrote:
Thanks for posting.

Jlerpy wrote:

I'm trying to convey moving a played card to the trash, instead of discarding from hand. I certainly don't want to destroy any cards, so I guess if I just say 'discard' and drop the 'from play' that should do it.

In Sentinels, Discard means to put a card from your hand into your trash, Destroy means to put a card from play into your trash.

Quote:
Quote:

That's a bit much. I'd forgotten there would be three auras in play when the damage cost was triggered. I'm not sure whether it should be three or four auras which trigger the damage cost, as managing the auras is part of the fun. How about '1 irreducible energy damage for each aura in play', starting at four auras.

Just leave off "for each Aura in play", otherwise each Aura will trigger each other Aura.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm aiming for a wording which has an ongoing effect which is greater if only auras of one colour are played, but still present at a reduced level if auras of more than one colour are in play.

I did think about having energy blast as a one shot, but it makes more sense to have it as a power, I think.

I agree; that way you can keep using it. I'm not suggesting they be separate cards, just printed as separate powers.

Quote:
Quote:

Possible. If I can get enough good card ideas that's an area which could be trimmed a bit.\

I don't think trimming them's a good idea, as you really need them to make Red work. As it is, you only have 6 cards that you can boost with Red and they're all one-shots.

Quote:
Quote:

I like that. I'll have a think about what that could be. Maybe card management of some kind. Spectrum is meant to be in full control of his powers, so draw two cards and put them back in any order, orput one into trash or something, might help.

Sounds cool, but be cautious about deck manipulation being neutered by his main power, as searching means you should (though I notice it's not mentioned, I'm guessing it's an oversight) include shuffling your deck afterwards.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think it will. It was meant to combine with Punch/Kick One shots by increasing strength. I can't think of a power to put on that card.

Were it not for Blue, I'd say a basic ability to deal 1 melee (which would bump well with the damage bonus), but that ground's covered there.

Looking at it, Yellow is too strong (I can put out 2 of these and drop 4 from all damage I take?! Why would I not?!). And you don't need their "excluding damage from excess auras" text, as that's already Irreducible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carrington
United States
Prospect Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is red meant to only boost your melee damage or is it increase all melee damage by 1? I think if you want red to work as it is now you are going to need more oneshots that do something but also deal 1 target 1 melee damage, like Chrono Ranger cards. But then I guess it would be too strong. It takes a long time to get 3 of them out but it has a huge payout if you manage to draw you punches and kicks. I don’t like how much it takes to switch between using red and using blue/violet but maybe you do. I think I would make it so that you only get a +1 bonus for not having other colors out instead of a X2. I think the best way to do it is just say “If you do not have any non-red auras increase your melee damage by 1 and ignore this line on any other red auras”

Maybe yellow could prevent damage from the first source each turn or something.

I don’t like how similar blue and violet are. Maybe make one only hit one target and the other hit multiple targets
It bugs me that the spectrum can’t loop around and mix red with violet. I guess that is how light works scientifically but not artistically. If you did make it loop around and switch the powers of blue and violet you could get a worthwhile interaction.

Energy nova. I don’t like that he dies with 6. I almost want an additional bonus if he manages to get 6 out and give them all up in one attack.

Prismatic spray – this is my favorite card I have seen so far.

Should he be able to do radiant damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also dislike the auto-incapacitate nature of Nova.

Radiant may well be fitting.

The indigo requirement on Prismatic Spray seems awkward. I guess it won't just be a totally dead card, because you can Shine for an indigo to fulfil it, but it still means there's a whole turn worth of turnaround to get it online, barring external assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have so much advice for specific cards, but here's what I think could benefit honing this character:

Instead of stating "if no non-blue, deal 4 energy damage..." and another effect for if some non-blue are in play, you could maybe just say "deal 5 minus X energy damage, where X = the number of non-blue auras in play"

You'd have a lot of language on each card to handle its interactions with others. After the compulsive destroy effect, you can avoid the "you may destroy" follow-ups by placing that order on Shine.

Shine - Power: Search your deck for an aura card. Play that card and shuffle your deck. Then, you may destroy any aura cards." Now you can remove the second line on every aura card. Sure, you only get this benefit if using Shine to play the card (not if you play it directly from your hand) but that's fine. In fact, probably more interesting.

Also, try using "otherwise" to save space and promote comprehension, as in "if any yellow auras are in play, increase melee damage dealt by Spectrum by 1. Otherwise, increase melee damage by Spectrum by 2."

You probably want Red Aura to increase the melee damage that Spectrum deals, and not just increase melee damage in general.

If you start any card with the maximum effect you'd want it to have and weaken it for each incompatible color in play, you avoid any need to worry about how strong combos can be, you avoid a lot of "when played, destroy [incompatible color] cards" text, and you allow Spectrum to specialize or diversify, but at a price.

Meanwhile, Red and Yellow auras are really strong if not limited, which is obviously intentional, but damage reduction 4 from 2 cards is rather insane. Scholar (OP monkey he is) at least needs to discards 2 per turn to keep that up. There's no reason to have more than one Blue or Violet in play at a time.

I can't see any good reason to have both blue and violet in play at once. They are allowed, but it only reduces his damage output and can actively hurt him. In fact, may as well allow red and violet in play together, since they don't help each other, but it lets the player decide if the damage bonus to melee attacks is worth taking the irreducible damage.

Melee damage does not feel right for this guy. Spectrum should totally deal in radiant and energy damage. Perhaps Red should increase radiant damage dealt by Spectrum and his One-Shots can deal radiant damage. Punch and Kick are way too bland for such a unique hero.

So how does this sound.... No auras destroy others when put into play. (Shine still allows it.) But, all of them say "At the end of your turn, Spectrum deals himself 1 irreducible energy damage for each non-[this card's color] aura in play." This way, you can make all auras stronger, not weaker, for having other colors in play, but Spectrum pays the price for this over-lap. Diametrically opposed colors just don't improve each other, so you are paying a premium for no real benefit. To make that easy, swap the effects of yellow and blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Melee feels fine for a super strong guy, but agree that he needs more interesting sources for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas. Work has gone crazy (16 hour day yesterday) which has prevented me from posting recently. I need to properly review all the suggestions and write up a version 2.

Any ideas for more cards? I'm a bit stuck on uses for Red other than hitting things, but there must be something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem weird that his only power that can deal Melee is mutually exclusive to his ability to boost Melee damage. But then, (as currently constructed) it would probably be overpowered if it weren't.

For improving Red: Maybe some feat of strength kind of one-shots? Legacy's deck is worth looking at for this.
I'd be leery of just making it as straightforward as a requirement for having Red to play them, as otherwise they're just dead cards until you do. As discussed, that's less of a big deal than if you didn't have such a strong search ability, but it does still mean that you'd have to Shine for Red one turn, then wait to play the relevant card in the next.
But I'd still favour a benefit to playing given cards with a given Aura, rather than a hard limitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xxxxx Xxxxx
msg tools
I didn't see a staring HP amount listed; if it hasn't been determined, you might to just select what feels right to start with.

One of the things I like to do with building decks is to put the text into a card template to see how it will look, and see whether the card is too wordy. I think some of the card text you have is in danger of not fitting on an actual card, so it might save time to know that now as opposed to later after you settle on 'perfect wording' and find it doesn't fit!

---

For Blue Aura:

"If only blue auras are in play, Spectrum may deal 1 target 4 melee damage, or X targets 2 melee damage, where X is the number of yellow auras in play."

Logically, if ONLY blue auras are in play, there are no yellow auras to count for X, so X is always 0.

Did you mean "if there are no violet auras in play"? or "if there are only Blue and Yellow Auras in play"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atalsen wrote:
For Blue Aura:

"If only blue auras are in play, Spectrum may deal 1 target 4 melee damage, or X targets 2 melee damage, where X is the number of yellow auras in play."

Logically, if ONLY blue auras are in play, there are no yellow auras to count for X, so X is always 0.

Did you mean "if there are no violet auras in play"? or "if there are only Blue and Yellow Auras in play"?

I assumed that was a typo and should read "If only blue auras are in play ... where X is the number of blue auras in play", which is consistent with the formation of the other three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xxxxx Xxxxx
msg tools
Ah, that may be it!

On adding new cards, and with there being no way to get melee while playing Red aura, how about this:

Color Conversion, Ongoing

If a YELLOW Aura card is in play, ALL SPECTRUM’S DAMAGE IS TOXIC.
If a BLUE Aura card is in play, ALL SPECTRUM’S DAMAGE IS LIGHTNING.
If a VIOLET Aura card is in play, ALL SPECTRUM’S DAMAGE IS RADIANT.
If a RED Aura card is in play, ALL SPECTRUM’S DAMAGE IS MELEE.

The order of the sentences can be rearranged for desired final damage type, depending on what seems to work best in playtesting, or future card changes. And the specific damage types can be altered to match theme as desired.

Gives Spectrum some extra damage types, but sticks him with a specific type at a time, which is a reasonable trade off. and in this setup, if all he has is red out, then he gets melee damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the ideas. Spectrum is a hero idea I've been carrying around in my head for over 20 years (from Champions RPG) without ever properly working out. The concept is to be able to move through different powers relatively easily, but with the downside that you can't be everything. However there are lots of good ideas being made which I need to work through. There's no actual need for Red to equal strength and therefore melee. It's what I thought of when I was a boy, and it's kind of hard to let that go, but the main parameter is four different powers.

I was going to ask about HPs and how they're decided. If it's arbitrary then I'll probably go for something in the 28-30 range - call it 29.

Work hours still very long, but I am reading and appreciating all the posts and will get back to producing a new version as soon as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I would think about a different approach to his main power and how it interacts with his auras.

If this hero had general strength without an aura, and then the aura's added more to it, it would make the deck a lot easier to design. You could ditch violet and a lot of the tougher card mechanics would be solved.
By focusing on the three primary colors, you could change the destroy other aura card text to a much simpler
(Red Aura example)
When this card enters play destroy all Yellow or Blue Auras.

This wording makes you choose which way to go, either Purple or Orange.

That lets you simplify the scheme to make better sense.

If he is strong before his aura's, then you could go Blue flight, Red Energy, Yellow toughness.

Also with strength being basic to his character you could make the base power a melee damage power and then have his Energy(red) aura say:
when spectrum would deal a target melee damage change that damage to energy.
Increase Energy damage dealt by Spectrum by 1.

The mechanic of Red would be damage dealing switching your main damage to energy and increasing that damage.

I've been working on a character that changes forms, and I made his one-shots each reflect a certain "ideal" form to use them in, by adding an effect when they are in that aura (or not having a cost)

Take a basic attack one-shot:

Example Attack!
Deal one target 1 melee damage.
If a Blue is in play deal that target 1 projectile damage as well.
(cause you are flying into them instead of just punching)

You could also have the Green-Orange-Purple effects covered on the aura cards without much trouble.

Example:
Red: Aura, Limited
When this card enters play destroy all Yellow or Blue aura cards.
When Spectrum would deal Melee damage change that damage to Energy.
If Blue is in play Spectrum deals +1 projectile damage.

Now if you go up and look again at Example Attack, a card that with no auras (or just yellow aura) deals 1 melee would deal 2 energy and 2 projectile damage in purple.

Potential Yellow:
Yellow: Aura, Limited
When this card enters play destroy all Blue or Red aura cards.
Reduce damage dealt to Spectrum by 1.
If Red is in play when Spectrum takes damage he deals the source of that damage 1 energy damage. (or a further reduction to reach -2 taken)

Potential Blue: (Example Blue lets you get more cards out)
Blue: Aura, Limited
When this card enters play destroy all Yellow or Red aura cards.
You may either play an additional card during your play phase or draw an additional card during your draw phase.
If Yellow is in play you may redirect the first damage dealt to an ally each turn to Spectrum.

There are a few changes to the basic design by doing this approach, one is you lose benefit from being just a primary color, which is really wordy to pull off, and likely makes it not fit on the card, and making the Aura's limited, because +3 damage dealt or -3 damage taken is too strong, especially with other bonuses possible as well. It focuses the deck on getting the right combo of two colors in play for what you want to do.

Some more ideas for cards:

Energy Nova:
Discard any number of aura cards, deal Spectrum and Each non-hero target X radiant Damage where X is the number of cards discarded this way.
(I really liked Energy Nova, but wouldn't work as it was with auras being limited)

Prismatic Preparation:
Search your trash for an aura and put it into play, then shuffle any auras in your trash into your deck.

Tackle:
Deal one target 1 projectile damage.
If Yellow is in play that target cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.

Light Assault
Spectrum deals himself 1 Energy damage.
Destroy one ongoing or environment card.

Crash Course
Spectrum deals himself 1 melee and 1 projectile damage
Deal one target 2 melee and 1 projectile damage.
(a one-shot damage better for yellow than red)

Extend Aura:
Destroy an aura card. Apply the appropriate effect for the card destroyed.
Blue: Each Player may draw a card or play a card now.
Red: All Hero targets deal +1 damage until the start of your next turn.
Yellow: All hero targets take -1 damage until your next turn.

Gather the Light:
Return up to two auras in the trash to your hand.

Light the Night:
Ongoing
Spectrum is immune to environment damage.
At the start of your turn if Blue is in play you may select one other hero target, that target is also immune to environment damage.

I'm going to stop now.
I really like the idea of this hero, even if my mind went in a different direction than you were going.
That's what happens when my 18 month old son decides to not sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xxxxx Xxxxx
msg tools
Phantaskippy wrote:

Also with strength being basic to his character you could make the base power a melee damage power and then have his Energy(red) aura say:
when spectrum would deal a target melee damage change that damage to energy.

I was thinking something along the same lines. My potential base power was:

Spectrum deals 1 target X melee damage where X = the number of aura cards in play.

And then follow up with Auras that converted all Spectrum's damage to another type.

This would do the same thing that Phantaskippy's design would, but would make Spectrum's base power dependent on getting aura cards out. Its a weakness, but whether that is desirable depends on theme and balance - if only 2 auras were allowed to be in play at a time, the damage might as well be specified at 1 or 2, but if 3 or more were allowed, then X might be better, giving no damage to start, and building up to higher damage (in which case the Aura's probably would not add +damage).

I can see the theme of the character is to have either one color out and be strong in that color, or two (adjacent) colors and have both but be weaker in both. I'm struggling with any good wording to make that simple and clear on cards, as Sentinels seems to be about adding abilities instead of subtracting: I can't think of any hero that playes a card and loses some other card's power because of it.

That said, in Sentinels "No" is stronger than "Yes', so my thoughts for an aura were something like this:

Red Aura

ACTIVATE THE RED TEXT ON ALL CARDS.
BLUE AND VIOLET TEXT MAY NOT BE ACTIVATED.

YELLOW: INCREASE ALL MELEE DAMAGE BY 1.
DO NOT ACTIVATE THE RED TEXT ON THIS CARD.

RED: INCREASE ALL MELEE DAMAGE BY 2.

Still clunkyer than I was hoping for, but I thought I'd throw it out there for consideration and refinement by others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I realize I turned the character color scheme from being Rainbow based into being more Prism Based.

Also it wouldn't be too hard to allow the doubling up on a single color, which my previous idea didn't allow.

If you want to stick to the rainbow you could use a restriction on the number of Aura cards in play. You could keep the text on aura cards that would boost them if paired with the right other colors like I did above.

Example Red and Yellow:

Red
Ongoing, Aura
When this card enters play destroy Aura cards until there are only 2 Aura Cards in play.
Increase damage dealt by Spectrum by 1.
If Yellow is in play Spectrum regains 1hp the first time he deals damage each turn.

Yellow
Ongoing, Aura
When this card enters play destroy Aura cards until there are only 2 Aura Cards in play.
Reduce Damage dealt to Spectrum by 1.
If Blue is in play you may redirect damage dealt to a hero target to Spectrum once per turn.

With these Cards Spectrum could go:
2 red for +2 to melee damage dealt.
Red+Yellow for +1 to damage dealt, -1 damage taken and some healing.
2 Yellow for -2 to damage taken.

Lets say Blue remains like my previous post suggested, changing it's multi-color to say if Violet is in play increase projectile damage by 1, and Violet changes melee to energy and boosts Energy by 1, with no Multi-color text.

Yellow+Blue: -1 damage taken, play or draw 1 extra card, redirect damage to Spectrum.
2 Blue: play or draw 2 total extra cards each turn (this is like Tachyon with pushing the limits and no cost good)
Blue+Violet: All melee to energy, +1 to Energy, +1 to Projectile
Two Violet: All Melee to Energy, +2 to energy

In this case the only difference between Violet and Red doubling up is energy or melee damage.

I really think cutting out Violet and having Red switch Energy to Melee, and Blue interacting with Red and Red + yellow returning damage would work better, but if you really want the rainbow colors go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mulling over the change from Rainbow to Prism. Rainbow is what I had in mind, but Prism does seem to work better in a SotM 40 card deck.

I'm coming round to having Red/Yellow/Blue as the three auras, as I think it would deliver the same game experience - moving between different powers, getting more of a boost in a single area through specialising, and more variety through using different colours. Using three would allow greater flexibility and make it easier to move to whatever colour range is desired. Potentially the character could glow white by having one of each Aura - something not possible in the old design, and which I quite like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
That could be an awesome Ongoing card, something like:

Prism Power
Ongoing, Limited
When this card enters play you may play an aura card.
Aura cards are indestructible.
At the start of your turn Spectrum may destroy this card or deal himself X irreducible Radiant damage, where X=the number of Aura cards in play.
At the End of your turn if Red, Blue and Yellow are not in play destroy this card.

That's a lot of text, would need to simplify it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to a prismatic approach, he ought to be Red, Blue and Green.
But then again, if it's four colour comics, he could be cyan, magenta and yellow (and black, in case anyone's left wondering about the fourth colour).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always preferred green to yellow anyway.

I think that's a decision. Having a hero who glows cyan, magenta and yellow, who can occasionally glow black would be so cool. Is that a bit weird?

If we go from 4 to 3 powers, what 3 powers should they be? I like toughness and radiant blast, bu the third is up for grabs. If incorporating strength is causing problems that's probably a good indicator that it should go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve had a little more time to read through the ideas and suggestions made so far and I have started thinking along slightly different lines as a result. A huge thank you to everyone who contributed so far – please keep it coming.

Spectrum v2.0

Spectrum now has three coloured auras arranged in an interactive wheel, rather than four arranged in a line (rainbow). This actually increases the interactivity of the auras creating more possibilities with less complexity (I hope).

I’m undecided whether to go for additive colours (RGB) or subtractive (YMC). The colour is actually immaterial from a game perspective, but on one hand RGB is well known, but on the other hand I like the idea of Spectrum being able to produce a ‘Black Nova’ ability in extreme circumstances, rather than White. I just think that’s a cool idea.

Rather than my old approach, which was thinking of powers I wanted Spectrum to have and assigning them to a colour, I thought instead about what an aura might be able to do. The ones I thought of were Energise, Protect and Project.

Assigning each of these to a colour creates interesting power combinations. I no longer have the restriction on colour combinations, as there was in the old scheme. Spectrum can have three auras in play without penalty. Any beyond that will cause irreducible damage to himself, as in the old concept. The idea is that with four auras in play Spectrum takes 1 point of damage, with five auras, 2; and so on.

Character Powerchanged from first version
Shine
Draw three cards from the top of Spectrum’s deck. Take one card into Hand, place another back onto the top of the Deck and discard the third. Then you may destroy any aura cards.

Inactive powers
. Choose a target. Increase damage dealt by that target by 1 until the start of Spectrum’s next hero turn.
. Choose a target. Decrease damage dealt to that target by 1 until the start of Spectrum’s next hero turn.
. Destroy 1 ongoing card.

Energise
Red Aura, Ongoing
Increase melee damage dealt by Spectrum by the number of red auras in play plus 1.
Play another non Aura card.
If at least one Blue Aura is in play, Power Force Wall Destroy any number of Blue Auras. Destroy X Ongoing or Environment cards where X is equal to the number of Blue Auras destroyed in this way.
At the end of Spectrum’s hero turn, Spectrum takes ‘X-3’ points of irreducible radiant damage for each Aura in play. Spectrum cannot heal damage in this way.

Protect
Blue Aura, Ongoing
Decrease damage done to Spectrum by 1.
If a Green Aura is in play, Power Defend Ally Spectrum may choose a target. Move one Blue Aura from Spectrum’s play area and place it alongside that target. This Aura counts towards calculating irreducible radiant damage at the end of Spectrum’s turn.
At the end of Spectrum’s hero turn, Spectrum takes ‘X-3’ points of irreducible radiant damage for each Aura in play. Spectrum cannot heal damage in this way.

Project
Green Aura, Ongoing
If at least one Red Aura is in play, Power Projectile Blast.
Spectrum can deal one target X+2 Projectile damage, or X targets 2 Projectile damage, where X is the number of Red Auras in play. Otherwise Power Radiant Blast
Deal one target X Radiant damage, where X is the number of green auras in play.

The ability/power map looks like this.

The intention behind the play an extra card ability and the change to the character power is to allow the player to move between auras easily without running out of one shots in hand to actually do anything.

There are then a number of one shots. Each of them not very powerful in themselves, but can be boosted to useful levels depending on the mix of auras currently in play. There are a lot of really good ideas from the thread and I don’t have any idea about which to use and in what quantities.

Good with RGB

Energy Nova (or Black Nova, if the subtractive colour variant is used.
One shot
Destroy all Auras from play. Spectrum deals 1 Radiant damage to each target, plus 4 Radiant damage to each villain target for each set of three different auras discarded in this way.

Strobe
One shot
Choose up to X targets, where X is the number of different colour auras in play. Those targets may not deal damage until the start of Spectrum’s next turn.

Prismatic Spray – new version
One shot
Choose up to X hero or villain character cards, where X is the number of different coloured auras in play. Character chosen in this way miss the draw phase of their next turn.

Prism Power
Ongoing, Limited
At the start of your turn Spectrum may destroy this card or deal himself X irreducible radiant damage, where X-2 is the number of aura cards in play. Spectrum may not heal damage this way.
Power Surge Deal one target X Energy damage, where X is the number of auras in play.
At the end of your turn if red, blue and green auras are not in play destroy this card.

Good with multiple auras

Healing Glow
One shot
Destroy all played auras.
The current target of each Aura heals 2 damage per aura destroyed in this way.

Good with R

Punch
One shot

Good with B

Tackle
One shot
Deal X+1 targets 1 projectile damage, where X is the number of blue Auras in play.
If at least one Blue Aura is in play, targets damaged in this way cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.

Good with G

Light the night
Ongoing, Limited
As long as Spectrum has at least one aura in play, Spectrum is immune to Environment damage. At the start of your turn if a green aura is in play, choose another hero target. That target is also immune to environment damage.

Aura management

Prismatic Preparation – formerly Focus
One shot
Search Spectrum’s trash for an aura and put it into play.
Shuffle the trash into your deck.
Play one additional card.

Gather the Light
One shot

Extend Aura – new version
One shot
Destroy an aura card. Apply the appropriate effect for the card destroyed:
Red: All hero targets deal +1 damage until the start of your next turn.
Blue: All hero targets take –1 damage until the start of your next turn.
Green: Each player may draw a card or play a card now.

Damage management

Equilibrium
Ongoing
Spectrum regains 1 HP the first time he deals damage each turn.

Flexible thinking
Ongoing
Choose one: Spectrum may redirect damage dealt to a hero target to Spectrum once per turn. Otherwise redirect damage dealt to Spectrum to another target once per turn.

Card names I liked but had effects which were covered elsewhere:
Light assault
Crash Course

I think this is definitely an improvement. Thank you so much for all the ideas suggested so far. I hope everyone can see some of their thinking reflected in version 2.

I would welcome your opinions, particularly on card ideas, wording, game balance, and quantity of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle G wrote:
I’ve had a little more time to read through the ideas and suggestions made so far and I have started thinking along slightly different lines as a result. A huge thank you to everyone who contributed so far – please keep it coming.

Spectrum v2.0

Spectrum now has three coloured auras arranged in an interactive wheel, rather than four arranged in a line (rainbow). This actually increases the interactivity of the auras creating more possibilities with less complexity (I hope).

I really like that you are thinking more about how this hero's power set will function, both in the game and as a super hero. I actually think the four-color design will work better and here's why: If the colors can all blend together, then there is no reason to go for Red or go for Green; you'll just go for everything, because it all works. If you have two sets of diametrically opposed colors, then they don't boost each other, but they do give you flexibility, yet you pay for that flexibility with the maintenance HP loss, even though you only benefit from half of those colors in play at a time. But we can get to that. On to more exciting things!

Uncle G wrote:
I’m undecided whether to go for additive colours (RGB) or subtractive (YMC). The colour is actually immaterial from a game perspective, but on one hand RGB is well known, but on the other hand I like the idea of Spectrum being able to produce a ‘Black Nova’ ability in extreme circumstances, rather than White. I just think that’s a cool idea.

Definitely use the additive system. Heroes are designed to be stronger as they put more cards into play. "Additive" only makes sense. Your first draft was a more "subtractive" system, in that Red was plus 2 damage dealt, yellow was less 2 damage taken, and orange was plus 1 damage dealt & less 1 damage taken. By blending the colors, each became weaker but spanned more area. That's actually really neat, in a way, but what it really means is that two cards together have the same strength as either of those two cards individually. While you might want the diversity, you won't want to waste a card play to just make something else you already played weaker and you certainly don't want to pay a higher maintenance fee to do it!

Flavor-wise, additive makes more sense. If you want a "Black Nova" ability, go for it anyway. Remember, there is no light without darkness. It still fits the character.

Uncle G wrote:
Rather than my old approach, which was thinking of powers I wanted Spectrum to have and assigning them to a colour, I thought instead about what an aura might be able to do. The ones I thought of were Energise, Protect and Project.

Assigning each of these to a colour creates interesting power combinations. I no longer have the restriction on colour combinations, as there was in the old scheme. Spectrum can have three auras in play without penalty. Any beyond that will cause irreducible damage to himself, as in the old concept. The idea is that with four auras in play Spectrum takes 1 point of damage, with five auras, 2; and so on.

Character Powerchanged from first version
Shine
Draw three cards from the top of Spectrum’s deck. Take one card into Hand, place another back onto the top of the Deck and discard the third. Then you may destroy any aura cards.

Inactive powers
. Choose a target. Increase damage dealt by that target by 1 until the start of Spectrum’s next hero turn.
. Choose a target. Decrease damage dealt to that target by 1 until the start of Spectrum’s next hero turn.
. Destroy 1 ongoing card.

These incapacitated abilities may need some more customization. Sure, they'll work, but the first two are a little bland. One of those will be fine. Two feels too limited for the player's choice to be very relevant.

Uncle G wrote:
Energise
Red Aura, Ongoing
Increase melee damage dealt by Spectrum by the number of red auras in play plus 1.

You are making a mistake frequently among these cards. It is apparent what you want out of this effect, but you are not taking into consideration what it'll look like in play. If each Energize card increases Spectrum's damage output by (1 per Red Aura plus 1) and they are all Red Aura cards, then 1 Energize grants +2 damage, 2 Energizes grant +6 damage, 3 Energizes grant +12 damage.

With N Energize cards, 1 per Red Aura plus 1 damage becomes...
1 Energize card times (1 plus 1) = 2
2 Energize cards times (2 plus 1) = 6
3 Energize cards times (3 plus 1) = 12
... because they will all say to increase Spectrum's damage according to that function.

What you probably want to say is
Energize
Ongoing, Red Aura
Increase melee damage dealt by Spectrum by 1.

The only ways in which I can think of tacking an additional +1 to this function without each Red Aura applying the bonus is far too wordy to bother with. You might just need to let it go. Lets move on to the rest of this card.

Uncle G wrote:
If at least one Blue Aura is in play, Power Force Wall Destroy any number of Blue Auras. Destroy X Ongoing or Environment cards where X is equal to the number of Blue Auras destroyed in this way.

There's a lot of excessive verbiage here. You don't need to require Blue Auras to be in play to use this power because the power is useless without destroying something blue already. "Points of" can be dropped, because it defies convention. No amount of negative damage value ever causes HP regain, so there's no need to say Spectrum cannot heal this way. Also, you did the same thing here, where if each Energize says that Spectrum takes damage equal to 3 less than the number of Aura cards in play, then up to 3 Aura cards does no damage, but the fourth Aura card causes each Aura to deal 1 damage, for a total of 4 damage. 5 cards will each deal 2 damage, or 10 damage. Try...

Power: Destroy any number of Blue Auras. You may destroy as many Environment or Ongoing cards as Aura cards you destroyed.
At the end of your turn, Spectrum takes X irreducible radiant damage, where X = the number of Auras in play minus 3. Spectrum is immune to radiant damage until the start of next turn.

There's a big problem with self-referential calculations that are written on every card when only one of them must be executed. One way to skirt the issue is to have Spectrum become immune to the effect immediately after the first instance resolves until just after they would all resolve. You might make him immune to all damage for that time, lest Megapolis, Pike Industries, or something else causes this damage to become something other than radiant, but that could make for an interesting complication as written, especially if you use a different damage type per Aura, depending on how much damage you ultimately decide is right.

The other way to do it is for every Aura card to say:

"At the end of your turn, place 1 token on Spectrum's character card. At the start of next turn, Spectrum takes X radiant damage, where X = the number of tokens on his card minus 3, then removes all tokens from his card."

This is now no longer self-referential. It is also really easy to calculate. It may seem a bit more fussy, but once a player understands what's going on, they won't bother with the tokens and just know the correct calculation.

Uncle G wrote:
Protect
Blue Aura, Ongoing
Decrease damage done to Spectrum by 1.
If a Green Aura is in play, Power Defend Ally Spectrum may choose a target. Move one Blue Aura from Spectrum’s play area and place it alongside that target. This Aura counts towards calculating irreducible radiant damage at the end of Spectrum’s turn.

This card suffers from the problem of not doing anything different after moving. What you mean is:

Protect
Ongoing, Blue Aura
Reduce damage dealt to the target next to this card by 1.

When this card enters play, put it next to Spectrum, then you may play another non-Aura card.

Power: If you have at least one Green Aura in play, you may put this card next to another target.
[Aura damage text goes here.]

Notice that you don't need to state that the card still counts as an Aura for calculations and such, because nothing would change that. A villain card next to a hero (Kismet's Talisman or Jinx cards, for examples) are still villain cards and won't count as cards that hero has in play. Chrono Ranger's Bounties are still his cards when they are next to villain targets. You haven't changed any conventions by moving this card, so you don't need to specify special rules for it.

Also, this effect is really weak. Spectrum must pay the maintenance fee to keep this Aura protecting 1 target, it won't protect him from that maintenance (since you made it irreducible), and if he (or his ally) isn't struck twice in a round, he'll take damage from this for no reason.

You might try having this always defend Spectrum and copying Argent Adept's Counterpoint Bulwark for the power. "Reduce damage dealt to Spectrum by 1. Power: Select up to X targets, where X = the number of Green Auras in play. Until the start of your next turn, reduce damage dealt to those targets by 1."

Uncle G wrote:
Project
Green Aura, Ongoing
If at least one Red Aura is in play, Power Projectile Blast.
Spectrum can deal one target X+2 Projectile damage, or X targets 2 Projectile damage, where X is the number of Red Auras in play. Otherwise Power Radiant Blast
Deal one target X Radiant damage, where X is the number of green auras in play.

Here, I'm thinking you can do away with the Aura color requirements. The radiant blast should hit multiple targets (it's a blast) and the projectile can just be based on number of Red Auras in play, so there's no need to specify they must be in play. Something like...

Project
Ongoing, Green Aura
Power: Spectrum deals 1 target X projectile damage, where X = the number of Red Auras in play plus 2.
Power: Spectrum deals X targets 2 energy damage, where X = the number of Green Auras in play.
[Teenage angst damage goes here.]

Uncle G wrote:
Energy Nova (or Black Nova, if the subtractive colour variant is used.
One shot
Destroy all Auras from play. Spectrum deals 1 Radiant damage to each target, plus 4 Radiant damage to each villain target for each set of three different auras discarded in this way.

I know it is meant to be a strong effect but it is almost certainly too hard to pull off to even warrant using, since it hurts everyone already. I mean, so long as you are hurting your entire team, may as well consider it fair enough that being hard to use and losing all your Auras makes it way weaker than Haka's Rampage. Instead of requiring at least one of each color Aura in play to even be able to make any net gain in sheer damage dealt (still puts you back in cards-in-play), how about:

Black Nova (Doesn't matter if it is subtractive, name still works) One-Shot
All hero targets regain X HP. Spectrum deals all targets Y radiant damage each. Then Spectrum deals Z targets Y radiant damage, where X = the number of Blue Auras in play, Y = the number of Green Auras in play, and Z = the number of Red Auras in play. Destroy all Auras in play.

This deals 1-3 damage to all targets, but heroes regain 1-3 HP, so having an equal number will cause no damage to friends, overall. 1-3 targets of choice take an additional 1-3 damage. Now, you don't need to have an equal number of each Aura in play to make use of this card, you don't destroy the odd card out for no reason, and you can cause more healing than damage--or less. The destroy order comes last, making calculations easier and allowing Blue Auras to maintain their protection during the nova. But it is still weak. Now if Red Auras boosted radiant damage, then you'd really have something. 0-6 damage each to all targets, less 0-6 to hero targets, and an additional 0-6 damage to 0-3 targets.

Uncle G wrote:
Strobe
One shot
Choose up to X targets, where X is the number of different colour auras in play. Those targets may not deal damage until the start of Spectrum’s next turn.

I like it.

Uncle G wrote:
Prismatic Spray – new version
One shot
Choose up to X hero or villain character cards, where X is the number of different coloured auras in play. Character chosen in this way miss the draw phase of their next turn.

There seems to be no point to this card, except possibly making the team suck. Villains don't draw cards.

Uncle G wrote:
Prism Power
Ongoing, Limited
At the start of your turn Spectrum may destroy this card or deal himself X irreducible radiant damage, where X-2 is the number of aura cards in play. Spectrum may not heal damage this way.
Power Surge Deal one target X Energy damage, where X is the number of auras in play.
At the end of your turn if red, blue and green auras are not in play destroy this card.

This is fine, except for the wording. X damage, where X = Auras minus 2 (your function says he takes 2 more damage than number of Auras). Drop the "may not heal" line.

I think the major reason for this card to exist is to protect Auras, but that makes Black Nova really strong (perhaps that's intentional?) and a full Ongoing wipe should still destroy them, because this will be destroyed. Anything less than a full wipe will hit this anyway, and then the Auras are no longer protected. You might say: "When this card is destroyed, all Auras are indestructible until the start of your next turn," but I don't know if that is your intention.

Uncle G wrote:
Healing Glow
One shot
Destroy all played auras.
The current target of each Aura heals 2 damage per aura destroyed in this way.

Auras don't have targets. Just say "For each Aura destroyed, 1 target regains 2 HP."

Uncle G wrote:
Punch
One shot

Really wants to be radiant damage, with a name like Sunbeam, Starlight, or something fun, fantastic, and personal to this hero.

Uncle G wrote:
Tackle
One shot
Deal X+1 targets 1 projectile damage, where X is the number of blue Auras in play.
If at least one Blue Aura is in play, targets damaged in this way cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.

Instead of making both parts of the function evaluate Blue Auras, how about use Green to make it irreducible? If it does the same damage as Red Auras influence (radiant?) then all three colors contribute to this effect. I can understand not really wanting all of them on all cards, but something that I learned about hero design is that you want that hero's special thing to come up as often as it can, because there isn't going to be some other hero that'll incorporate your Auras. This is your chance to use it.

Uncle G wrote:
Light the night
Ongoing, Limited
As long as Spectrum has at least one aura in play, Spectrum is immune to Environment damage. At the start of your turn if a green aura is in play, choose another hero target. That target is also immune to environment damage.

I have a feeling this one works as-is.

Uncle G wrote:
Prismatic Preparation – formerly Focus
One shot
Search Spectrum’s trash for an aura and put it into play.
Shuffle the trash into your deck.
Play one additional card.

This works, too.

Uncle G wrote:
Gather the Light
One shot

Compared to Prismatic Preparation, this is dull. They do the same thing and that one does it better. This could easily just be "Draw [number] cards."

Uncle G wrote:
Extend Aura – new version
One shot
Destroy an aura card. Apply the appropriate effect for the card destroyed:
Red: All hero targets deal +1 damage until the start of your next turn.
Blue: All hero targets take –1 damage until the start of your next turn.
Green: Each player may draw a card or play a card now.

Probably fine, as-is. But I'd prefer dropping the "or play a card" part of the Green line. It gets messy. There's no mention of what order this takes place and seems beyond Spectrum's, uh, spectrum. "Each player draws" is a strong effect and everyone loves it.

Uncle G wrote:
Equilibrium
Ongoing
Spectrum regains 1 HP the first time he deals damage each turn.

I like it.

Uncle G wrote:
Flexible thinking
Ongoing
Choose one: Spectrum may redirect damage dealt to a hero target to Spectrum once per turn. Otherwise redirect damage dealt to Spectrum to another target once per turn.

I'd call this one "Bending the Light".

Uncle G wrote:
I would welcome your opinions, particularly on card ideas, wording, game balance, and quantity of cards.

For quantities that don't suggest themselves to you, I prefer to start with two of each, so that something that needs fewer copies can be featured once, and those that need more can be featured thrice. After that, make adjustments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Think about how you want this deck to play.

If you want to focus on getting a ton of auras in play and then using or destroying them the deck will be very different than if you want the auras to to be a slow build that steadily increase his power.

For example: Scholar puts forms in play and lets them expire all the time, if they are destroyed he can get more pretty quick or pull them back from his trash, the same goes for Omnitron-X and his components.

On the other side Bunker and Absolute Zero both get stronger each card that is put in play, but they don't destroy their own cards or have mechanics that destroy them (or cost to keep them out (except Gatling))

You have a destruction option written into the power, you have tinkered with having cost, but both are sort of half done.

I think your next step is to decide whether you want this character to build up like AZ or Bunker and constantly build power until they are a juggernaut, or have a fast deck that builds them up quick only to have cost and destruction options that knock those cards back down to start building up again.

I could see it going either way.

Secondly I think some of your text on auras would be better separate as one-shots. For example the ongoing and Environment destruction option would be better as a one shot that let you destroy auras to destroy cards.

I would suggest one shots for each color that let you destroy a color of aura to do something.

With the aura's you have (protect, project, energize) I would suggest some cards like this:

Destroy any number of Green auras. Destroy X ongoing or environment cards where X is the number of green auras destroyed this way.

Destroy any number of Blue Auras. Select up to X targets, those targets are immune to damage until your next turn. X = the number of blue auras destroyed this way.

Destroy any number of Red Auras. Deal one target 2 melee damage for each Red Aura destroyed this way.

If you want to make the deck play fast those one-shots will be awesome, and you'll want several ways to get Auras into hand from deck or trash. I would change the main power, as of now it lets you pick one of three cards, I would either have the hero draw then discard or have one go into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m back at work again doing massive hours, but I’ve spent some spare time thinking through these ideas. I need to sit down and work through them to produce Spectrum v2.1, but I didn’t want to ignore this thread and the contributions made, so I’ll respond on a couple of points which have struck me the most.

FlatOnHisFace wrote:
I actually think the four-color design will work better and here's why: If the colors can all blend together, then there is no reason to go for Red or go for Green; you'll just go for everything, because it all works. If you have two sets of diametrically opposed colors, then they don't boost each other, but they do give you flexibility, yet you pay for that flexibility with the maintenance HP loss, even though you only benefit from half of those colors in play at a time. But we can get to that. On to more exciting things!

I was thinking about this and what colours they would be, when suddenly I realised that we have here (4 colours with diametrically opposed pairs) is a new hero – ALCHEMY – imbued with the power of Earth, Air, Fire and Water. The central mechanism we’re working on here could apply – synergies between Earth and Fire, but not Earth and Air (opposites).

I’d like to carry on with Spectrum and get a lock on a decent draft deck, but I’d be happy to pick up the development of Alchemy in another thread, if anyone thought it worthwhile. The powers would be different from the ones here, because the inspiration would be different – four elements vs Energise, Protect and Project.

Uncle G wrote:
Punch

FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Really wants to be radiant damage, with a name like Sunbeam, Starlight, or something fun, fantastic, and personal to this hero.

Thinking about the whole Red boosting melee damage (Strength) thing. It’s been a common element in the feedback the melee damage doesn’t fit, and thinking about Energise, it doesn’t actually equate to more strength anyway.

So in v2.1 I think Red as melee damage boost goes. Red (Energise) will then become about drawing and playing cards, and boosting card play and damage of team mates. Interaction between heroes is something I look for in a co-operative superhero game, so I’m very happy with this development.

This means I'm now looking for card ideas around energising team mates, as well as Spectrum himself.

Incidentally, I love the card name Prismatic Spray (it’s based on an Illusionist spell in AD&D from my youth), but I can’t think of a good effect which will fit it. Ideas welcomed. Something will turn up, I’m sure.

Phantaskippy wrote:
Think about how you want this deck to play.
(…)
I think your next step is to decide whether you want this character to build up like AZ or Bunker and constantly build power until they are a juggernaut, or have a fast deck that builds them up quick only to have cost and destruction options that knock those cards back down to start building up again.

My concept is definitely to have a fast deck where the player is able to move relatively easily through the aura combinations to give key powers when needed, and prepare to give maximum boost to a variety of one shots at other times.

Phantaskippy wrote:
Secondly I think some of your text on auras would be better separate as one-shots. For example the ongoing and Environment destruction option would be better as a one shot that let you destroy auras to destroy cards.

I would suggest one shots for each color that let you destroy a color of aura to do something.

With the aura's you have (protect, project, energize) I would suggest some cards like this:

Destroy any number of Green auras. Destroy X ongoing or environment cards where X is the number of green auras destroyed this way.

Destroy any number of Blue Auras. Select up to X targets, those targets are immune to damage until your next turn. X = the number of blue auras destroyed this way.

Destroy any number of Red Auras. Deal one target 2 melee damage for each Red Aura destroyed this way.

If you want to make the deck play fast those one-shots will be awesome, and you'll want several ways to get Auras into hand from deck or trash. I would change the main power, as of now it lets you pick one of three cards, I would either have the hero draw then discard or have one go into play.

I like it. I have a lot to pull together into the next version.

I really appreciate the contribution from everyone who has posted. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.