Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Does this game work for 2p
I am not a fan of the neutral third player armies, but it works quite well with two. That being said, I think Legends will be better with two, but I haven't had a chance to get it to the table yet! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely works with 2. Played with both random and strategic setup of the neutral armies, and both have their advantages.

Wonderful amount of game in a short amount of play time, regardless of the player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiver & Orthia
New Zealand
Hamilton East
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays wonderfully, albeit with a noticeably significant 'shift' in gameplay from 3p and upwards - because you've got two people, there's a real 'me, you, me' tempo to planning purchases, as opposed to the more... opportunistic gameplay you find at higher player counts. A little more adversarial, as it were.

Still brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Works beautifully with two. The dummy third civilisation keeps things interesting and scales it appropriately. Without that, of course, it'd be a bust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone point me to these "two player / neutral army" rules?

I can't find them in the online rules on the kickstarter page nor in my (German version) rulebook.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ashman wrote:

I can't find them in the online rules on the kickstarter page nor in my (German version) rulebook.

Thanks in advance.

It's in my English rule. Anyway, it's not too difficult:

1. After the initial setup, but before the game, the players take turn to put 1 neutral army onto the board, until there's 10 of them. So you'll each put 5 of neutral army.

2. There's no restriction on the placement, so you can put it where there's already some other tokens, or place more than 1 neutral army in the same region.

3. The neutral army would not do anything during the game, but they factor in consideration when it comes to determine area control majority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Terwindt
msg tools
mb
I have played a 2 player game (without) the neutral army and then it isn't really challenging. Playing with more players is a lot more fun. Next time with 2 players I will use the neutral player, to see if that is more fun, but I didn't stumble across those rules in my rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played it two player without the neutral cube rule. I did this as I was teaching my GF the game and she had never played an area majority game (or any game like this). I figured not having to think about that when learning would be a good thing.

And it was successful. She really enjoyed the game and caught on quite quickly.

So, next time I play with two (with her) I would incorporate the cubes in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Varela
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:

The spanish version (by Devir) doesn't include this rule either. Is it mandatory? Any idea why it was eliminated?

bop517 wrote:
I just played it two player without the neutral cube rule. I did this as I was teaching my GF the game and she had never played an area majority game (or any game like this). I figured not having to think about that when learning would be a good thing.

And it was successful. She really enjoyed the game and caught on quite quickly.

So, next time I play with two (with her) I would incorporate the cubes in.

I played it with my 10yo son WITHOUT this rule, and it was a blast (he had never played an area majority game before). As Gary suggests, next time I play with him I'll add this rule to see if it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.