David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings. I'm working on a print and play card game with a minimalistic B&W look called Allegiance.

I have the final version of the cards designed, with the exception of an icon that can represent a Thieves' Guild. The icon needs to be "flat" (no perspective), look good in a B&W, minimalistic style, and have a filled-in central area so that it can contain a number.

Here is what I'm currently using:

In this example, the Thieves' Guild icon is a coin (upper left corner of the card).

If it helps, here is a thread about the card design and here is a thread about the game itself.

I'll pay $0.50 gg for each legitimate entry and $25gg for the winner.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Sorensen
United Kingdom
Millom
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen the free icons on http://game-icons.net ? All are black-and white, so ought to fit with the existing design. I'd have expected something on there to work. Perhaps something in the "dagger" category http://game-icons.net/tags/dagger.html ?

(Should you use something from there, please don't feel you have to give me GG. It's not my work, after all.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l3mst0r wrote:
Have you seen the free icons on http://game-icons.net ? All are black-and white, so ought to fit with the existing design. I'd have expected something on there to work. Perhaps something in the "dagger" category http://game-icons.net/tags/dagger.html ?

(Should you use something from there, please don't feel you have to give me GG. It's not my work, after all.)

Yeah, I've been using game-icons.net and the noun project. I've tried designs like these (with a dagger and a coin purse with the number inside):

I finally decided I wanted the icon to definitely encompass the number, which rules out daggers (unless someone can be a little more creative with a dagger than me). I've thought about coins, locks, daggers, coin purses, etc.

I'm still up for these items, as long as they encompass the number and look good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Z
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What about using the Cloak and Dagger icon from game-icons.net and then replacing the dagger with the number?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zovu wrote:
What about using the Cloak and Dagger icon from game-icons.net and then replacing the dagger with the number?

Not sure I can make it look good, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqueline Boss
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What about using a simple diamond shape instead of a coin? That would be easy to pull off minimalisticly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albruk wrote:
What about using a simple diamond shape instead of a coin? That would be easy to pull off minimalisticly.

How about something like this?...

Or really, really simple like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zovu wrote:

This is the best I could do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Sorensen
United Kingdom
Millom
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the "Hood" icon a better shape?

http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/hood.html

You'd need to lose the eyes, of course ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Z
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

That's exactly what I had in mind. Personally, I like that better than the coin or money bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
zovu wrote:
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

That's exactly what I had in mind. Personally, I like that better than the coin or money bag.

I also really like how it inverts the black and white. Instead of both having numbers on the icon this one is offset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
icon suggestions
My take on the coin icon: the use of lines in different thickness matches well with the temple. Not sure though if i would identify the coin with a thieves guild.

the thief icon: a cloak shown from behind

My favorite icon for illustrating a thieves guild: the coin purse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukedenby wrote:
zovu wrote:

I also really like how it inverts the black and white. Instead of both having numbers on the icon this one is offset.

Sounds good guys. The cloak received positive comments on my general card design thread too. As a matter of fact, I thought I had settled on it or the original coin in perspective icon until I saw yshild's reply...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yshild wrote:
My take on the coin icon: the use of lines in different thickness matches well with the temple. Not sure though if i would identify the coin with a thieves guild.

the thief icon: a cloak shown from behind

My favorite icon for illustrating a thieves guild: the coin purse

All three of these are awesome, but I really like the coin purse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqueline Boss
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, for the first one, I think you could probably do away with the lines in the bottom half and still get the point across, and make the shape slimmer. It looks a little too chunky for the style as is. I really like the second one with the style, but I don't know how much it screams "thief". Not necessarily a bad thing though.

The cloak designs are really nice. They seem a lot more thief-like and it is clear that they are cloaks. I can't decide if I prefer the front or side view...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqueline Boss
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still getting the hang of commenting. I was referring to the diamond designs in my first paragraph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Am I too late? Hows this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jacqueline and Hero Gamer. Sorry - should have updated the thread earlier. I decided to go with yshild's coin purse. Your coin purses are pretty cool too, Hero Gamer.

Thanks to everyone for ideas and responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.