United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PACG "Superdeck" Dungeon Crawl v1.0

Rules:

1) Shuffle up Location Deck. You should have a Location "Deck" between 3-8 locations.

2) Set up each location as normal (drawn cards, shuffle). Place each deck facedown UNDER the Location card. Repeat this for locations 2-8 (size depends on # of players as per normal). This creates the "World Dungeon."

3) Create a Blessing deck with 30 cards for 1-3 players and 40 cards for 4-6.

4) Surround the Superdeck with player cards! (or figures, etc. if you have them).

5) Each player still takes turns in order, however...

6) MAJOR RULE CHANGE: Players fight as a group! If you can contribute to the fight, go ahead! Swing swords, cast spells, every rolls dice!

7) MONSTERS: BASIC monsters have 2x health. For example, if you are facing a monster with an 8 health, it actually has 16 health. ELITE monsters and HENCHMEN have 3x health. VILLAINS have 4x health!

(NOTE: This can and should be tweaked the most. Probably Monster health will have to be tweaked by # of players, obviously)

8) MAJOR RULE CHANGE: If encountering a BOON, the player who is the current player still has to make the check to get the item, UNLESS...

9) MAJOR RULE CHANGE: You may discard a Blessing to roll instead of the current player IF he gives you approval. However, if he chucks his Blessing and succeeds, HE gets the item. Don't worry, he can give it to you on his turn if you really want it (and he wants to give it to you!).

10) What about Banes? Same thing, the current player encounters them (he's, uh, in the lead *grin*) but another player can chuck a Blessing to take it on, which really makes sense if you, for example, come upon a Lockbox and your Thief has a Blessing AND a Toolkit!

1) The Dungeon Crawl begins!

2) Take the top location, place it on the table.

3) Each player takes turns cutting through the deck, following most of the normal rules - when you find a henchman you can attempt to "close" the location. If you succeed, you remove ALL cards until you reach the next location and remove the previous location off the table, then place the NEXT location "level" on the table.

4) If you find the VILLAIN and win, he retreats into the next deeper dungeon level. Remove all cards from the level he WAS in.

5) If you find the VILLAIN and LOSE, he retreats into the next deeper dungeon level. DO NOT remove the cards from the level he was in. REMOVE A BLESSING FROM YOUR COUNTDOWN DECK AND BANISH IT. Continue, attempting to close the level as normal.

6) CLOSING A LEVEL: You can close it as normal, and just like before, if you need a Wisdom roll to close it and the Cleric has a Blessing, she can chuck it to roll instead of the current player (Again, if the current player approves. REMEMBER: No one can chuck a Blessing to affect the current player UNLESS HE APPROVES!).

7) When you reach the final level of the Superdeck Dungeon, when you encounter the Villain there are 1 of 2 outcomes:

7-1) You lose: Remove a Blessing from the Countdown deck and the Villain is shuffled into the final deck again.

7-2) You win: You defeat the Villain and beat the scenario!

7-3) You lose as normal if your countdown deck reaches 0 and you have to draw from it (as normal).

Thank you for reading my v1.0 rules for the PACG Superdeck Dungeon Crawl. I would appreciate it if people try it out and let me know (on this thread) their results. Does the Blessing Deck need tweaking (depending on # of players)? Are the monsters too powerful or still too weak (obviously the more players in the party, the more "firepower" can be dropped on the enemies).

For anyone who is going to give the Superdeck a shot, thank you in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Just off the top of my head, but multiplying monster's health favors those with weapons. Spellcasters and special cases will not be able to contribute every time, but a weapon wielder probably will be. If the party is not balanced in favor of warriors, I foresee difficulty with this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Just off the top of my head, but multiplying monster's health favors those with weapons. Spellcasters and special cases will not be able to contribute every time, but a weapon wielder probably will be. If the party is not balanced in favor of warriors, I foresee difficulty with this variant.

Well, spellcasters would have to be prepared to use offensive spells, just like they would in a RPG. Or they could hit the monsters with their fists

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Hiles
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A variant similar to this is in my design notebook. I think this variant may evolve as more people test this idea. Might send you a couple messages on this topic so don't be surprised!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

Well, spellcasters would have to be prepared to use offensive spells, just like they would in a RPG. Or they could hit the monsters with their fists

Ok. Let's say you're Seoni or Lem. You have 3-4 spells in your entire deck, and for fun let's just say they're all offensive. You draw 3 in your opening hand, you're good for exactly 3 combats. They get recharged and you won't see them again for something like 9 turns. You can't just "prepare" like an RPG, it doesn't work that way. And oh yeah, let's wail on a 44 point villain with our d4. That's helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's kinda what happens in RPG's... mages cast there spells and when they are out its down to the fighter types. I don't know about you but I've seen the mage-type played several times and they get plenty of spells unless their luck is TERRIBLE and they lose them, but often they get to Recharge as opposed to Discard.

With a Cleric, you get your spells back with healing as well.

Cardboardjunkie wrote:
SanguinousRex wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

Ok. Let's say you're Seoni or Lem. You have 3-4 spells in your entire deck, and for fun let's just say they're all offensive. You draw 3 in your opening hand, you're good for exactly 3 combats. They get recharged and you won't see them again for something like 9 turns. You can't just "prepare" like an RPG, it doesn't work that way. And oh yeah, let's wail on a 44 point villain with our d4. That's helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Health is check difficulty ? if so, call it so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stenger

Ashton
Maryland
msg tools
Is damage taken by the player whose turn it is, or spread among all combatants?

I see one possible addition to help with the spellcaster issue raised (and this is just me thinking out loud here):

Use a formation. I'm not an RPGer, but this all reminded me of the old old old Ultima CRPGs.

Allow your party to form up in three levels - the front, middle, and rear.

In the front, or first level, only melee attacks are allowed, and have full power. Full damage is taken.
In the middle, all attacks are allowed, and are -1. -1 damage is taken.
In the rear, only ranged attacks are allowed, and have full strength. Damage is reduced by 2.

I have no idea if this would work, but I figured I'd throw it out there. It would protect the spellcasters, and allow the burly ones to be tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cstenger5 wrote:

I see one possible addition to help with the spellcaster issue raised (and this is just me thinking out loud here):

Use a formation. I'm not an RPGer, but this all reminded me of the old old old Ultima CRPGs.

In the front, or first level, only melee attacks are allowed, and have full power. Full damage is taken.
In the rear, only ranged attacks are allowed, and have full strength. Damage is reduced by 2.

I have no idea if this would work, but I figured I'd throw it out there. It would protect the spellcasters, and allow the burly ones to be tanks.

I also thought of the damage issue. When you're fighting a villain with a check of 44 or whatever, the odds are the RNG gods can give you a roll of all ones even on 16 dice. That's almost 30 damage taken, even if spread over the group and limited by hand size, could be a total party kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, damage would be an issue, but remember if you lose you remove cards up to your hand limit, and no more.

What COULD be done is this:

Damage can be decided upon by the group. This would be akin to the "fighters" being in the front "tanking" the damage. So say the group takes 11 damage - the 2 tanks use their armor to negate 3 damage each, then the group decides that each fighter will take 2 hits each (removing 2 cards apiece), and then the cleric takes the final hit.

I dunno, could still lead to tons of damage hah

Cardboardjunkie wrote:
cstenger5 wrote:

I also thought of the damage issue. When you're fighting a villain with a check of 44 or whatever, the odds are the RNG gods can give you a roll of all ones even on 16 dice. That's almost 30 damage taken, even if spread over the group and limited by hand size, could be a total party kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.