Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty much all I have to say. laugh

We played 3 games tonight (without the Orb). Alien Artifacts marks the start of a fun new arc in the Race for the Galaxy universe, but there was a moment in every game when I thought, "I really need to find a +1/+2 military development," or "Where are all the high-cost military worlds?" You get the picture.

Maybe I'll just take the card from the prior arc and use it anyway.

Thoughts, anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
manutd03 wrote:
"I really need to find a +1/+2 military development,"

The Orb can actually help you with that, many artifacts give you extra military.

manutd03 wrote:
Thoughts, anyone?

It can work, but I don't think it is particularly necessary since the deck is not that big and new cards have plenty of explore bonuses. Search was a pretty inelegant gimmick to combat the streakiness inherent to large deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hated the search card. It was a self-indictment of a once great game that had collapsed under its own weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
I hated the search card. It was a self-indictment of a once great game that had collapsed under its own weight.

this. when i play with the first arc, i leave out prestige, takeovers, and any other cards that we just don't like, to keep the game as trim and "super filler" as possible yet with a few funky additions and lots of 6s to build around.

my new set first play was fun (no orb), and i felt the lack of improved logistics but liked the concept of the new "extra" military card to replace it, and storing up multiple brown goods on the fuel depot was a very cool totally new thing that surprised me. looking forward to exploring more, pun intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
radynski wrote:

this. when i play with the first arc, i leave out prestige, takeovers, and any other cards that we just don't like, to keep the game as trim and "super filler" as possible yet with a few funky additions and lots of 6s to build around
Heh, I know some extremists in my other groups will say we may as well just play San Juan then laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed it for the first few games, then the feeling disappeared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
For me there's always that "OMG I can only do this once" factor.... which makes me hesitant to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
For me there's always that "OMG I can only do this once" factor.... which makes me hesitant to use it.
really? It's a resource like most everything else. I'd reckon you got similar situations when deciding to use other "1-shot" abilities too like NMT, Colony Ship, ICT, or R&D Crash Program. Even applies to Windfall goods... trade, or just II/III to get in a really helpful dev/world to leech off of others later on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always strongly favour holding it for a last turn Consume boost if my tableau is at all possible leaning in that direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
marhawkman wrote:
really? It's a resource like most everything else. I'd reckon you got similar situations when deciding to use other "1-shot" abilities too like NMT, Colony Ship, ICT, or R&D Crash Program. Even applies to Windfall goods... trade, or just II/III to get in a really helpful dev/world to leech off of others later on?
that's different because most of those are things I could, theoretically, get back later.

I do often think twice in situations like that though. I remember one game where I held on to my starting Doomed world for half the game simply because I hadn't found a non-military world with a cost of 4 or better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
marhawkman wrote:
that's different because most of those are things I could, theoretically, get back later.

I do often think twice in situations like that though. I remember one game where I held on to my starting Doomed world for half the game simply because I hadn't found a non-military world with a cost of 4 or better...
Theoretically, yes. But unless you already have another copy of any of those cards in your hand, or the deck's about to be reshuffled, I wouldn't count on it just to be on the safe side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.