Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Having a small issue with my A.I. I'm creating for Eclipse Base Game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William LaGamba
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing Eclipse! Yet my family does not. I was so happy to here there would be an iOS version of them game. Then it was released and I was sad as it was only for iPad...

I decided to try an find a way to play Eclipse Solo. I saw some rules in the files section for solo play, and while they did work they were lacking in some areas. I tried to make them better, I updated them and play tested them yet something was still missing. So I scraped them and decided to start fresh.

Right now I have rules for a novice A.I. player, there are some tweaks I need to make but there is one glaring problem I'm having issues with. The Eridani Empire... They start with 26 money and its throwing a wrench into my A.I.

So I ask you the community... should I limit how many turns the Eridani Empire takes? Say no more than 4? How does the iOS version handle the Eridani Empire? If you were someone who was playing for the first time and just learned the rules how would you play the Eridani Empire?

Once I make the tweaks I need I'll post the rules here for you all to try and give feedback. I really appreciate any help you can give me. When this A.I. is done I plan on making one for the Normal Player (someone whose played a few times and understands the game better than the novice) and an Advanced A.I. (for those players looking for a good challenge). Once all my A.I.'s are done I will then work on updating them for the Expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schäfer
Germany
Bensheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell us your changes in the sologame?

Maybe an answer would become better

Greetings Dhub

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William LaGamba
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The A.I. I'm trying to creating is just that. An Artificial Intelligence which can be used in place of a human being for a full game of Eclipse using the base set only.

Each A.I. will have a rules governing how it will respond its interactions or lack there of from the human players. Right now like I said I'm working on the Novice Player, this is the player who is playing for the first time and just learned the rules but doesn't have any strategies yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI this was already attempted here

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/723062/ai-player-system

and here

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/86983/over-2-millions-...

Good luck, it doesn't look like an easy task!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Eridani, this might be of inspiration
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1087290/the-safe-eridani-ope...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William LaGamba
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come across the first link but only skimmed over it. I will look at it further this weekend. The second link was one of the first files I used, and while it does function ok its a little too random.

I do thank you for the Eridani link though... lots of good stuff in there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
I've also thought about doing this. I'll list some ideas off the top of my head:

- Each race should have its own bent on strategy based on its racial abilities / starting positions. Orion going inward & utilizing its military, Hydran turtling, etc.

- Each race should also have a set of at least half a dozen general strategies (such as turtling, ancients aggression, PvP aggression, expansion, research etc.) based on the resources that are available; not just money/science/materials reserve and potential but key techs, areas of expansion, etc. With each new reveal (especially tech and resource reveals available to that AI) it would recheck its overall strategy and determine whether to change gears, so to speak. It would also have to consider the actions it has spent thus far on the existing strategy (wouldn't want to easily abandon 3 actions spent towards your impending military attack just because you now really want the new colonization tech, etc.)

- Could make a "threaded" AI, with each thread addressing one aspect of the AI's game, thinking with multiple brains so to speak. Economy thread analyzing upkeep & action costs and money resources, science thread analyzing available & likely future techs & science resources, material thread analyzing military & build potentials and material resources, etc. Each of these would "work for" a central controller AI, which would make the final decisions. Each could assign generalized "value" to certain courses of action and their potential gains, so they could be numerically compared between each other. That way you could focus each thread more on one aspect, determine a value (or set of values such as cost, risk, short and long-term gains) to report to the controller and then it could make the decisions as to whether it should focus actions on science, materials, etc.

- Anticipating and responding to enemy actions could be added once you get the "simpler" strategic expansion / economy portion of the AI working

- Sticking with all Terran would be the best idea at first. Each race is going to have significant changes to their strategy due to racial abilities and start positions, greatly extending the time to make the basic AI function. I'd focus entirely on Terran for now; get it to the point where it's pretty competent, then later use that code as a baseline for the other races.

- Number of players will radically affect strategy; might want to pick one player count (4?) and stick with coding for that at first. Coding for 3 is another good option since it is still multiplayer while excluding ambassador & traitor AI.

- Eridani may be the hardest one to code for due to the large number of options at the start, and with missteps and early setbacks being very costly due to reduced actions in the long-term, which can run your economy onto the rocks. Again, I'd stick with Terran. Good advice for humans learning the game, good advice for humans programming AI to learn the game also.

- AI strategy should eventually extend to include initial race choice.

- No paragraph/page of rote AI rules (likely designed for a tabletop game for the bored solo Eclipse player) would make for a very satisfying game of Eclipse IMO.

- Once you have the AI functioning fairly well, could pit 3-4 Terrans against each other with small to moderate differences in strategy, automate a bunch of games as fast as the CPU can run them, and analyze results to determine strength of different changes to strategy.

If you're coding this in C/C++ and want more hands-on help, let me know. I wouldn't mind contributing some algorithms if I have time. I'd like to see a competent Eclipse AI on PC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.