Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Aggelopoulos
msg tools
Accidentally pressed backspace so I lost this whole question. Got to write it all over again lol...

Hello, my family got this game for Christmas and we love it. We've played 3 times so far, but it is by far the most complicated board game we've ever played and we still aren't sure about a few things so I came to the internet for answers that weren't clear in the book.

1- After marching all troops out of an area, you can put an order token down to establish control. I know this, but what about:
a) Can you still give orders to empty areas? For example, can you Consolidate power atleast?
b) If units (Friendly or Enemy) march into a territory with a power token, what happens to the power token since it is no longer needed? Does the token return to its owner's available power token pile or do you discard it?
c) If a territory's port (Say, Oldtown) contains a friendly ship but Oldtown's land has no friendly units, does an order token need to be played to establish control? or does the ship already count as a unit garrisoned?

2- Loras Tyrell allows you to march a 2nd time if your attack is successful. But, when you march the 2nd time, do you play Loras Tyrell again (Minus his card text as it was used) or do you play a different card?

3- After using your last house card, you return all previously discarded house cards to your hand but discard the one you just used last. Correct?

4- Are ties in combat decided by the holder of the Valyrian Steel Blade, or by who is higher on the Fiefdoms track?

5- When a march order fails and the attackers fail to take new territory, they must return to where they marched from. Are they routed or not?

Thank you for your answers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Usergnome wrote:

1- After marching all troops out of an area, you can put an order token down to establish control. I know this, but what about:
a) Can you still give orders to empty areas? For example, can you Consolidate power atleast?
b) If units (Friendly or Enemy) march into a territory with a power token, what happens to the power token since it is no longer needed? Does the token return to its owner's available power token pile or do you discard it?
c) If a territory's port (Say, Oldtown) contains a friendly ship but Oldtown's land has no friendly units, does an order token need to be played to establish control? or does the ship already count as a unit garrisoned?

a) No, orders are tied to units.
b) The token is discarded.
c) Control of a port is tied to control of the adjacent land area. You would need a power token to retain control of the port (and the ship).

Quote:
2- Loras Tyrell allows you to march a 2nd time if your attack is successful. But, when you march the 2nd time, do you play Loras Tyrell again (Minus his card text as it was used) or do you play a different card?

You play a different card.

Quote:
3- After using your last house card, you return all previously discarded house cards to your hand but discard the one you just used last. Correct?

Correct.

Quote:
4- Are ties in combat decided by the holder of the Valyrian Steel Blade, or by who is higher on the Fiefdoms track?

Fiefdoms track.

Quote:
5- When a march order fails and the attackers fail to take new territory, they must return to where they marched from. Are they routed or not?

They are routed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gwvsjohn
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
markino wrote:
b) The token is discarded.


If you move friendly units back into a territory in which you placed a power token for control, doesn't the token stay?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gwvsjohn wrote:
markino wrote:
b) The token is discarded.


If you move friendly units back into a territory in which you placed a power token for control, doesn't the token stay?

It stays.

And you ask questions in Rules forum, not Strategy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Woroszczuk
Poland
Mirków
dolnosląskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Usergnome wrote:

1- After marching all troops out of an area, you can put an order token down to establish control. I know this, but what about:
b) If units (Friendly or Enemy) march into a territory with a power token, what happens to the power token since it is no longer needed? Does the token return to its owner's available power token pile or do you discard it?


Actually it was not fully explained.
If a friendly unit marches the PT stays. If an enemy unit it is discarded.

Usergnome wrote:

2- Loras Tyrell allows you to march a 2nd time if your attack is successful. But, when you march the 2nd time, do you play Loras Tyrell again (Minus his card text as it was used) or do you play a different card?

As I remember correctly you just put the march order you used to march the troops in the area where they are now (were the battle was held). The order is resolved later on that turn - so you have one extra march order to resolve. So you treat it like an ordinary march order.

Radziol wrote:

And you ask questions in Rules forum, not Strategy.


And yes it is posted in the wrong forum
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Usergnome wrote:
1- After marching all troops out of an area, you can put an order token down to establish control. I know this, but what about:
a) Can you still give orders to empty areas? For example, can you Consolidate power atleast?

When you march all units out of an area, you put a power token in the area to establish control, not an order token. This may explain why you wondered about question a), since one may never place order tokens in areas that have no units present.
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

This is a quick clarification for me - someone responded that power token are discarded as in they are not returned to the owner's pile. Does this mean the overall # of tokens for the house is decreased permanently?

E.g. Stark has 20 tokens, places 4 of them on lands (down to 16), Greyjoy attacks and takes over 3 of the lands with tokens, Stark removes those tokens and is left with only 17 (16 in his pile and 1 still on the board) for CP?

Thanks

Usergnome wrote:

b) If units (Friendly or Enemy) march into a territory with a power token, what happens to the power token since it is no longer needed? Does the token return to its owner's available power token pile or do you discard it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 24
Quote:
A Power token on the game board is returned to the Power Pool
only after an opponent takes control of its area

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - thats what I thought but it confused me for a second when the posting said discarded.

Radziol wrote:
Page 24
Quote:
A Power token on the game board is returned to the Power Pool
only after an opponent takes control of its area

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcanumTL wrote:
Thanks - thats what I thought but it confused me for a second when the posting said discarded.

Radziol wrote:
Page 24
Quote:
A Power token on the game board is returned to the Power Pool
only after an opponent takes control of its area


You discard your house cards. That's not equal to remove.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
My bad, I did not see that the question 1b) asked about both friendly and enemy troops.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Aggelopoulos
msg tools
Thank you to everyone who answered, lots of people active on here so that's great. I now know what to do. I didn't know there was a "Rules" sub-forum, so my bad for posting this here!

If there is a way to delete this thread or mark it as "Resolved" please tell me, but I assume that's a moderator's thing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Rules.

Welcome to the community Peter - here there are always enthusiastic folk on hand on hand to answer rule questions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.